Steeda's Cold Ait Intake for the Ford Edge now available !

larryinfl

Great news ! You need the custom tunes with it. I need to call and see if they can email me a 93 octane tune designed for the intake.. Also, not much info on their web site, pretty poor job compared with a site like Troyer Performance, the tuner page has info not even related to the tuner.. They should have a specific package deal for this since there is a dependency here, or maybe I am missing something.

Great news ! You need the custom tunes with it. I need to call and see if they can email me a 93 octane tune designed for the intake.. Also, not much info on their web site, pretty poor job compared with a site like Troyer Performance, the tuner page has info not even related to the tuner.. They should have a specific package deal for this since there is a dependency here, or maybe I am missing something.

a. it is about time :)

b. yeah, they need more info on the tuner - what you get (or can request) for tunes, how many, how you request, etc

this thing is a whopping $700 investment - should/cold cut a deal for people that buy both in 1 if they d not have a tuner already (most of us).

see this thread for more info on this topic.

PS - anyone in SoCal San Diego have one of these tuners so I can just get the tune I want from them and upload it without spending the coin on a seldom used tuner :)

Edited by Lex Talionis

Hey Lex, you may already know this but here goes,,,, the tuner will be vin locked to the last vehicle tuned until that vehicle is returned to stock. It stores your stock tune before it loads any of the custom/canned tunes so you can always return to stock in about 2 minutes should you have an issue needing dealer service. I have always kept my tunes loaded during dealer services since there is no recalls on the vehicle that would require a PCM reflash and also have friends at our local dealer and they would not flash over my tunes. I even keep it in for emission inspections. But.. if that ever happened, an SCT dealer could unlock it and get you going again, for a small fee of course !

Comments in general here, I have purchased various intakes for my trucks and $300 is about average here for a quality intake they are marketing. The open filter element will produce the most gains, they just get full of dirt faster if you use the vehicle for offroading and kick up a lot of dirt/dust. I have also had 3 of the trucks tuned as well as the Edge and $400 seems to be the average if you need the flash device and they come with 3 tunes of your choice. Tunes are about $75-$100 each on averag, are emailed to you, and are easily loaded in one of the available memory slots on the flash device with the free download software from sctflash. Dyno time with A/F measured from the O2 sensor, average 125/hr.

Comments for Steeda, since this is a $700 investment, how about more technical info on the gains, a link to the dyno chart for RWHP and TQ and A/F ratios before and after your product would be a great seller as well as promoting a package deal. Advertising the intake separately is fine for a very few who would go to a custom tuner and have them build the tune for that intake but this would NOT be the majority here. I would never do a web purchase here without speaking to one of your tech guys first unless you made this a package deal since the tuners I have used do not have AWD dyno capability.

• 2 weeks later...

Lex, I have a tuner from my 07 Edge with tunes from EVO. You could purchase my tuner and have it reset by steeda if they would be so kind. They might not want to do it because they won't sell a new unit.

SCT XCAL3 p/n3000 for ford vehicles.

Let me know, $75 shipped! Then you'll probably have to pay $100 for their tune. I doubt it's different than EVO's.

Lex, I have a tuner from my 07 Edge with tunes from EVO. You could purchase my tuner and have it reset by steeda if they would be so kind. They might not want to do it because they won't sell a new unit.

SCT XCAL3 p/n3000 for ford vehicles.

Let me know, $75 shipped! Then you'll probably have to pay $100 for their tune. I doubt it's different than EVO's.

Are you still using your tuner on your 07 Edge? If so, then why are you wanting to sell it as you would not be able to convert back.

I wasn't sure so I did a little research and couldn't find any other CAI's that require a tuner

"NOTE: This Cold Air Kit REQUIRES a tune. Failure to use a tune can result in engine damage. For more information about purchasing a tune,"

Which makes me think this CAI (ONLY) install would result in little or NO increase in hp/torque.

Example: A CAI (only) install on a ford 6.0 diesel results in NO increase in hp/torque.

Anybody ever seen a CAI that REQUIRES a tune?

ab

in all my CAI research, I have not seen a CAI that 'requires' a tune either.. yeah yeah I can see both sides of the argument why it makes sense and then again why it does not. so it is hard to believe either way.

not sure how all of the other CAI systems out there for all the other cars work fine and get all the benefits, and with no tune... but this one needs a tune.. a rather expensive proposition that stops me cold on this mod

I wasn't sure so I did a little research and couldn't find any other CAI's that require a tuner

"NOTE: This Cold Air Kit REQUIRES a tune. Failure to use a tune can result in engine damage. For more information about purchasing a tune,"

Which makes me think this CAI (ONLY) install would result in little or NO increase in hp/torque.

Example: A CAI (only) install on a ford 6.0 diesel results in NO increase in hp/torque.

ab

Yes. Mustang GT500's require a tune with a CAI upgrade because of the MAF. It might be the same on the Edge but I would just get a drop in K & N and a tune and call it a day.

here is a conspiracy theory thought on this as I was thinking about it recently.. 'maybe' the required tune is to hide the fact that the CAI is only minimally effective and is needed to live up to the numbers they post. That is, maybe the CAI alone only gives x% benefit but with the tune, you get xx% benefit and that is more sellable and has more of a wow factor. so, the tune is actually doing more of the work to get those key increases than the CAI, so requiring the tune really gets you those great numbers whereas the CAI itself, stand alone, does not.

ab

Any CAI that gives noteworthy gains will require a tune. Here is some info from one of the reputable tuners on the ford truck forum. These guys are a wealth of knowledge and can really wake the 'slug' F150 truck up.

" Now, one comment on the CAI/AFR thing... The reason a CAI will often cause a lean condition is because the shape and/or diameter of the metering or "sample" area of the intake tube is usually quite different from stock. This change will have a significant effect on the way the Mass Airflow (MAF) Sensor calculates the airflow into the engine. The larger the intake tube, the lower the air velocity through the tube, and consequently through the sampling port of the MAF. This results in a lower output from the MAF which the computer interprets as less air mass entering the engine and in turn cause the computer to inject less fuel. You can guess the rest from here. Since removing the snorkel does not change the sampling area of the intake tube, there is no adverse effect on final AFR. "

Hope this helps and clears up any questions as to why you need a tune with the Steeda style intake. The AirForce 1 intake available for the F150 comes in a 3" and 3.5" intake tube diameter. The 3" tube can be run without a tune and gives about a 10+ rwhp increase ( you will never feel this power increase ). I have the 3.5" tube and was custom tuned by Troyer Performance and causes a CEL when I flash back to stock.

Best bet here if you want the most gains and already have an XCAL3, buy the intake and talk to Gus at Steeda, he will throw in a tune no charge. Or if you want the most gains and not spend the $700 for the Steeda package, buy the tuner from Evolution performance, get a K&N drop in and remove the snorkel at the bottom of the airbox ( about $440 ). This is our current setup on the wife's Edge. The little Edge hauls a$$ on the 93 octane performance tune. Never been back to stock since. The tuner is the only 'seat of the pants gain' you will notice for the $$ spent. Why throw $300 into an intake ( there all about that price anyway ) when you can spend $399 and get the tuner, not risk running lean and 100x the performance.

Now, back to my PTU leak...

Any CAI that gives noteworthy gains will require a tune. Here is some info from one of the reputable tuners on the ford truck forum. These guys are a wealth of knowledge and can really wake the 'slug' F150 truck up.

" Now, one comment on the CAI/AFR thing... The reason a CAI will often cause a lean condition is because the shape and/or diameter of the metering or "sample" area of the intake tube is usually quite different from stock. This change will have a significant effect on the way the Mass Airflow (MAF) Sensor calculates the airflow into the engine. The larger the intake tube, the lower the air velocity through the tube, and consequently through the sampling port of the MAF. This results in a lower output from the MAF which the computer interprets as less air mass entering the engine and in turn cause the computer to inject less fuel. You can guess the rest from here. Since removing the snorkel does not change the sampling area of the intake tube, there is no adverse effect on final AFR. "

Hope this helps and clears up any questions as to why you need a tune with the Steeda style intake. The AirForce 1 intake available for the F150 comes in a 3" and 3.5" intake tube diameter. The 3" tube can be run without a tune and gives about a 10+ rwhp increase ( you will never feel this power increase ). I have the 3.5" tube and was custom tuned by Troyer Performance and causes a CEL when I flash back to stock.

Best bet here if you want the most gains and already have an XCAL3, buy the intake and talk to Gus at Steeda, he will throw in a tune no charge. Or if you want the most gains and not spend the $700 for the Steeda package, buy the tuner from Evolution performance, get a K&N drop in and remove the snorkel at the bottom of the airbox ( about $440 ). This is our current setup on the wife's Edge. The little Edge hauls a$$ on the 93 octane performance tune. Never been back to stock since. The tuner is the only 'seat of the pants gain' you will notice for the $$ spent. Why throw $300 into an intake ( there all about that price anyway ) when you can spend $399 and get the tuner, not risk running lean and 100x the performance.

Now, back to my PTU leak...

thanks for all of that.

let me ask about this "remove the snorkel at the bottom of the airbox".. I recall that snorkel is actually at the 'side' not bottom technically, but more important... why would you want to do that? what would you really gain and why is that even there i the first place

thanks for all of that.

let me ask about this "remove the snorkel at the bottom of the airbox".. I recall that snorkel is actually at the 'side' not bottom technically, but more important... why would you want to do that? what would you really gain and why is that even there i the first place

I agree, the tune is what is gaining the power. But the power is possible because of the free'ed up intake trac.

As far as the snorkel, I would think if someone cut up the air box and put like a 2 to 2.5 inch intake pipe in place of the snorkel and leading into the fender well [with a screen on the end] it would provide a good amount of performance [with tune of course]. And still suction in cold air from outside the engine compartment.

Edited by Splitpi

thanks for all of that.

The F150 has a proven +7 rwhp gain by removing it. And yes, you are correct, it is on the side ( at the bottom facing the fender ). Mine just popped right off when I pushed down on it. Now the air box has a baseball size opening at the bottom versus one the size of a quarter. So, increased air velocity across the MAF sampling port at WOT causes the MAF to command more fuel. And I'm not worried about running it into the fender well, the stock snorkel is not and when you drive, the air is moving under the hood anyway. I have seen guys argue this back and forth about intake temp, cooler is better obviously, but that's why guys doing tuning and dyno pulls have these huge barrel fans in front of the vehicle when on the dyno, +12rwhp just by cooling the intake air. That's more a more realistic "driving condition". This personal observation is worth more than all the opinions I have seen. As far as why do it, every little bit helps when you are doing aftermarket mod's and this one is FREE !

I agree, the tune is what is gaining the power. But the power is possible because of the free'ed up intake trac.

As far as the snorkel, I would think if someone cut up the air box and put like a 2 to 2.5 inch intake pipe in place of the snorkel and leading into the fender well [with a screen on the end] it would provide a good amount of performance [with tune of course]. And still suction in cold air from outside the engine compartment.

Good idea about running a tube off the hole, just remove the snorkel, and no cutting ! That is basically the intake design at the top of the air box only this comes from behind the grill. and yes, you get the most WOT increase by doing the combo ( more air=more fuel=more power ) but I respectfully disagree, the power is not possible only because of the intake. Look at the entire picture, the tune increases throttle response as well as up's your timing to more match the octane level you are using. There are more benefits as well when you start looking into the details of the tuning parameters adjusted by each individual tuner. The 09 F150 has a 28rwhp increase over the stock tune just using 87 octane. I've seen a guy's 04 F150 XLT w/ 5.4L do a 220 rwhp pull stock, then pull 246 rwhp with an 87 octane tune. Then pulled a 256 rwhp by adding an AF1 intake. Talk to Fred at Evolution performance, he will ship you a 93 octane tune ( if you can get 93 in your area ) that kicks a$$ without any intake.

The Ford vehicles seem to respond very well to tuning. My guess is they tune them so conservatively at the factory.

Edited by kdd01

• 2 weeks later...
Steeda is now including an insert with all of their Edge Cold Air Kits so that a tune is no longer required. If you have a tuner you can leave out the insert for optimal performance. :)

hmm.. interesting..

so, "Testing has shown gains of up to 35hp and 27ft/lbs of torque at the wheels when running this system without the insert AND using a custom tune."

now how does this insert & no tune change the numbers, any idea?

hmm.. interesting..

so, "Testing has shown gains of up to 35hp and 27ft/lbs of torque at the wheels when running this system without the insert AND using a custom tune."

now how does this insert & no tune change the numbers, any idea?

I'm going to guess ... Dramatically

Ford spends BIG $'s tuning the intake system, it is worth ever .01 for the improved millage.

Note: I would still like to try one but fell the $300 would be better spent on better brake pads or REAL wheels.

ab