homelink won't close my garage door

i've been having trouble with the homelink on my 2020 Edge ST. my garage door will not close when i press the button on my visor.

interestingly, i have never had a problem opening the door even from a block away. i close the door by getting out of the car and pressing "enter" on the keypad mounted on the garage  wall (which is also wireless IIRC) but then when i get back home, i can always open the door from close or far (300m)

it seems to get worse. the problem occurred only once in a while but it gets progressively worse and then it won't work at all.

i erased and reprogrammed the homelink settings a few times as per instructions in the user manual and i followed the liftmaster instructions as well pressing the "learn" button on the motor. like i said, it works for a while but gets progressively worse over time. i've done this about three times now and always exactly the same.

the LED on the homelink flashes very rapidly when i press the programmed button. it just stays lit when i press either of the non-programmed buttons.

the remotes that came with the house work fine. i keep them put away with no batteries.

i'm not super familiar with the rolling codes tech but i'm wondering if this could be causing the problem. as i live in a development, all the houses on my block were built the same year. they all have the same hardware, e.g. liftmaster garage door openers. could someone else be messing up my opener?

after searching this forum, i have found other problems with homelink but not this same scenario.

any opinions on whether this is an issue with the car's homelink or with the liftmaster system? any ideas on what to do? and please don't suggest erasing and reprogramming. i've already done that three times.

thanks in advance

Can you get someone to be inside the garage when you try to open it to see if the lights on the opener flash or you hear any clicking sounds to indicate the opener motor is actually getting a signal from your homelink from your Edge?  I have a 22 ST and it opens and closes my Liftmaster just fine.  I know it seems odd that other openers can open it, but is it possible that the upward force needs to be turned up or the springs need to be adjusted tighter to help pull the door up?  Again, if the opener is receiving a signal there should be something you hear from inside or the light will flash.  If that's happening, maybe something else like I mentioned needs to be adjusted.  Just to verify, you are saying that any of the other physical remotes open the door 100% of the time?

3 hours ago, Sage said:

The only thing to come to my mind, on your visor you have three buttons try setting up one of the other buttons to see if that works any better. I don’t know maybe just a button you’re using is not working properly on the visor.

i will do that and report back what happens.

45 minutes ago, Davidoo said:

Can you get someone to be inside the garage when you try to open it to see if the lights on the opener flash or you hear any clicking sounds to indicate the opener motor is actually getting a signal from your homelink from your Edge?  I have a 22 ST and it opens and closes my Liftmaster just fine.  I know it seems odd that other openers can open it, but is it possible that the upward force needs to be turned up or the springs need to be adjusted tighter to help pull the door up?  Again, if the opener is receiving a signal there should be something you hear from inside or the light will flash.  If that's happening, maybe something else like I mentioned needs to be adjusted.  Just to verify, you are saying that any of the other physical remotes open the door 100% of the time?

since i'm sitting in the car, facing the open garage, i can see that nothing is going on. the motor is not engaging. it's just dead. i've never waited long enough for the lightbulb to go off but maybe i can try that in order to test your idea. thanks.

i don't usually keep the original remotes in the car. i only grabbed them when i started having this problem. so every time that i had the problem of homelink not closing the door, i used the remote and the door closed immediately upon the first click.

thanks to both of you. i'll report back on what i find.

• 2 weeks later...

This particular problem can sometimes be caused by a blocked path between the sensors, dirty safety eyes, loose wires at the sensors or at the motor head, one or two bad sensors, bad motor control board, or one of the sensors has been bumped and is out of alignment. 

(In my case I had the same problem and finally traced it to one of the sensors had been bumped and no longer pointed directly at the other sensor. Door opens but refused to close as the sensors are there to monitor if anyone is in the doors path).

Besides checking the sensor placement,  try resetting the unit by unplugging the garage door opener for a few minutes and re-plugging the unit back into the outlet.

In addition, try cleaning the Sensors, look for any damaged wiring, check for corroded connection at the sensors. 

One other thing that can cause problems is the use of certain LED light bulbs in the opener. If your using LEDs, try removing them and see if they are the problem. (If so, replace them with LEDs specifically marked for use with garage door openers).

• 1 year later...

I second enigma's thought about the opener itself (the hardware) being the problem.  I have replaced 2 craftsman openers (about 10 years old) that had mainboard issues that prevented closing.  The problems were intermittent but replacing the units with liftmasters solved the issues.

On 11/14/2022 at 4:12 AM, enigma-2 said:

This particular problem can sometimes be caused by a blocked path between the sensors, dirty safety eyes, loose wires at the sensors or at the motor head, one or two bad sensors, bad motor control board, or one of the sensors has been bumped and is out of alignment. 

(In my case I had the same problem and finally traced it to one of the sensors had been bumped and no longer pointed directly at the other sensor. Door opens but refused to close as the sensors are there to monitor if anyone is in the doors path).

Besides checking the sensor placement,  try resetting the unit by unplugging the garage door opener for a few minutes and re-plugging the unit back into the outlet.

In addition, try cleaning the Sensors, look for any damaged wiring, check for corroded connection at the sensors. 

One other thing that can cause problems is the use of certain LED light bulbs in the opener. If your using LEDs, try removing them and see if they are the problem. (If so, replace them with LEDs specifically marked for use with garage door openers).