Clunking sound front passenger side

fowis

When I bought my ford edge limited,  I found out it has a clunking sound coming out from the front passenger side. I checked the strut and I found the strut bearing and the strut mount are damaged. So, I bought a complete strut and I installed it in the car. The clunking sound disappeared and the new strut works perfectly. After two weeks, I heard the same clunking sound from the same side. It seems that the new strut bearing and strut mount are damaged again. So, there is something wrong causing an excessive load on the strut mount. I am not sure what might be the reason for this damage.  Could it be the cv axle or the suspension system. 

good morning fowis.....i think i too had that issue...i recently bought a 2019 Edge ST with 20000 miles on the clock.  LOVE the car, but there's 1 issue the dealer can't figure out. grinding/clicking sound coming from the pass/fr wheel.  had strut and shock assembly replaced exactly 3 weeks ago today. Thanksgiving night, noises came back. it doesn't happen or make this sound all the time. it seems to be happening more in the late morning or early afternoon and progressively getting louder as the day goes on. also only happens when turning at lower speeds, around corners, or backing out of my driveway.  i'm at a loss, i've got another appointment next week at dealer to drop it off, again.....we'll see what happens, i'll keep you updated...RazorsEdge2019

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RazorsEdge2019 said:

good morning fowis.....i think i too had that issue...i recently bought a 2019 Edge ST with 20000 miles on the clock.  LOVE the car, but there's 1 issue the dealer can't figure out. grinding/clicking sound coming from the pass/fr wheel.  had strut and shock assembly replaced exactly 3 weeks ago today. Thanksgiving night, noises came back. it doesn't happen or make this sound all the time. it seems to be happening more in the late morning or early afternoon and progressively getting louder as the day goes on. also only happens when turning at lower speeds, around corners, or backing out of my driveway.  i'm at a loss, i've got another appointment next week at dealer to drop it off, again.....we'll see what happens, i'll keep you updated...RazorsEdge2019

If it's a steady loud clicking noise when turning at low speeds the odds are extremely high that it's a bad CV axle.  I drove my Edge for about 30,000 miles before I got around to replacing it a few weeks ago. Good news is, it's a fairly inexpensive repair especially if you have the ability to do it yourself with the help of some great Youtube vids. I had to replace mine twice because I made the big mistake of using an aftermarket CV axle that I purchased at Autozone.  Even if you don't do it yourself, make sure that it's replaced  with a Motorcraft axle. Mine was the passenger side.

18 hours ago, fowis said:

When I bought my ford edge limited,  I found out it has a clunking sound coming out from the front passenger side. I checked the strut and I found the strut bearing and the strut mount are damaged. So, I bought a complete strut and I installed it in the car. The clunking sound disappeared and the new strut works perfectly. After two weeks, I heard the same clunking sound from the same side. It seems that the new strut bearing and strut mount are damaged again. So, there is something wrong causing an excessive load on the strut mount. I am not sure what might be the reason for this damage.  Could it be the cv axle or the suspension system. 

It could definitely be front swaybar end links.  I had to replace mine at about 80,000 miles on my 2011. Bad links will make a clunking sound when going over bumps.  Just like I did with my CV axle, I used cheap aftermarket links the first time and had to replace them almost immediately. I ended up replacing them with a set of Moogs that have zerk fittings and they've been perfect. 

18 hours ago, fishx65 said:

over

Thanks fishx65 for your comment. Actually, I know the reason for the clunking sound in my car. It is because the strut mount is damaged. But, what I cannot understand why the newly installed strut mount is also damaged after two weeks of installation. What is wrong in the car that damages the strut mount in the front passenger side.  Could it be the wheel alignment?

Exactly how is your strut mount damaged? Besides worn bearings, I really can't see how an upper strut mount can go bad.  Are you sure the 4 upper mounting bolts are torqued properly?  I, unnecessarily, replaced an upper strut mount a few months ago thinking it was the cause of a clicking sound I had.  

This part of the mount under the center bolt is broken. I even found some broken pieces of the mount.  The center nut was about to go through the mount. I am not sure about the tightening torque of the upper nuts. Do you think this could be the reason?

On 12/2/2022 at 2:20 AM, fowis said:

This part of the mount under the center bolt is broken. I even found some broken pieces of the mount.  The center nut was about to go through the mount. I am not sure about the tightening torque of the upper nuts. Do you think this could be the reason?

Wow, it almost sounds like something is preventing the spring or strut from compressing which would explain how the metal around the upper strut bolt is breaking apart.  I would think you'd really feel it if the strut or spring wasn't compressing.  It would take a lot of force to tear that upper strut mount plate.  Has your Edge ever been in a bad accident?  Now that I think about it, I did end up removing the 4 upper bolts to turn the strut assembly after noticing it should be installed a certain way. Maybe that could be the problem. 

Edited by fishx65

2 hours ago, fishx65 said:

I bought this edge recently so I have no idea whether it has been involved in a big accident or not. But, I assume not since the car alignment seems fine. I did not feel the strut is locked while driving. It was driving perfectly for two weeks since the strut is replaced.  

I wouldn't think the weather could impact strut performance, unless you're motoring around at the south pole, of course. Does the corner of the car with the issue seem to have suspension travel?

If the car was in an accident and the control arms are bent/damaged, then perhaps the suspension isn't running in the normal range of motion, causing binding? Something sounds weird with the geometry in that corner or something is binding in that corner and transferring all the energy to the strut mount instead of the suspension absorbing that energy.

thanks fiskx65....my issue sounds exactly what you described (also on the pass side)....my appointment is this coming Tuesday at the dealer, (today is Sat)... and i have an extended warr......I'll pass along the info i got here, maybe it will help...btw, today has been the loudest its been EVER, even louder than my normal volume on the radio.....is there any damage to my car while driving?  it sounds AWFUL...i'll keep you guys updated....RazorsEdge2019

Finally heard by 11:30 am today....strut mounting bracket needs replacement....i'm trying to keep an open mind as far as them being able to diagnose and repair the issue, but something tells me my car will be making a return visit for the same problem...anyway, its still there (at dealer) because they had to order the part...supposed to be ready tomorrow morning....if thats the case, i think they could have offered a rental for the three days they've had mine....(i hate "dealing" with dealers)....update soon...RazorsEdge2019

12 hours ago, RazorsEdge2019 said:

Finally heard by 11:30 am today....strut mounting bracket needs replacement....i'm trying to keep an open mind as far as them being able to diagnose and repair the issue, but something tells me my car will be making a return visit for the same problem...anyway, its still there (at dealer) because they had to order the part...supposed to be ready tomorrow morning....if thats the case, i think they could have offered a rental for the three days they've had mine....(i hate "dealing" with dealers)....update soon...RazorsEdge2019

I had a dealership diagnose my front clicking noise as a bad strut mount bearing and is the reason I replaced mine before figuring out it was the CV axle.  I guess it really doesn't matter in your case since you have an extended warranty.  

Thanks RazorsEdge2019 for updating us about the problem in your car. Actually, the mounting bracket was the damaged part in my car too. I replaced it and the new mounting bracket got damaged too. So, as we discussed it before, I guess the strut gets locked in this car model for some reason. So, what I am going to do, is to insert a high strength rubber washer of half inch thickness between the strut rod and the mounting bracket. Hoping this washer will absorb any impact caused by the strut   locking. I will try also to make sure the strut is aligned properly with the knuckle. 

Hi, so i just joined this forum to try and get answers to a similar clunking sound in my wifes 2016 Edge, except this clunking sound is coming from the pass.rear? I even have a lift in my garage but cannot find anything loose or clunking anywhere??

This all started after taking it to the Dealer for two recalls.

The car has been great in every way and is still like new even with 80,000 miles I had only replaced tires, brakes, wipers and plugs.

This clunking is driving my wife nuts and i even (told her to turn up the radio) but because it drives her nuts its driving me nuts.

Jack

PS how many miles on your Edge?

Anything loose in the spare wheel well or side storage areas? I used to carry my tow hitch bar in the side well. Clunking drove me crazy until I strapped it down. 

What were the recalls for? 

Clunking noise in the rear is usually related to worn rear stabilizer bar links or bushings. This will be heard when going over bumps. A metallic clunk could be worn strut bushings. If it chunks when accelerating is usually a failure in the rear differential. 

Edited by enigma-2

• 2 weeks later...