HELP!! Very unhappy 2010 Ford Edge owner

tobjack54

I have been having a problem with my edge for a while, and i'm very unhappy with my vehicle.  When stepping on the brakes, it will vibrate and grind and not stop unless i depress the brake and press again. I had new brakes and rotors installed, that didnt work. All mechanics I went to have no idea what could be wrong. Finally, i saw that one of my calipers was bad, replaced that, bled the bakes. Still the same results. Bought a scanner and found that I had an ABS code show. Bad speed sensor. Replaced that. Still having the same problem. Last week the ABS light and traction control lights came on and stayed on all week. Went to the dealer, and all of a sudden lights went out. Ford dealer didn't want to take my money because diagnostics showed no code. I am at my wits end with this car now. Hass anyone experienced this with their Edge? Any ideas as to what I should do?

@tobjack54 how many miles on your edge? has the brake fluid been serviced regularly?

iirc some 2010s were included in the extended warranty program, but since it was from original purchase date, it is likely expired - brake booster.

you should bleed the abs system (need computer to do that) then bleed the main brakes. if there is air in the abs, bleeding just the mains wont work. or find a gravel road, put your vehicle in reverse, drive at moderate speed then brake hard to engage abs. repeat a few times and see if that helps. if it does not, and pedal travel is fine, you might be looking at replacing the hcu and/or abs module.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tobjack54 said:

My Edge is at 55460 miles. Just replaced the ABS module this weekend and did a break bleed. That didn’t seem to help as I still ended up with the same bad results. Taking it to get a brake bleed professionally as maybe I might still have air in the lines. Will keep you updated. Thanks

Specialized equipment and procedure is needed to bleed the ABS system.

Part of the process is to cycle the ABS pump.

On 12/9/2022 at 10:53 AM, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

@tobjack54 how many miles on your edge? has the brake fluid been serviced regularly?

iirc some 2010s were included in the extended warranty program, but since it was from original purchase date, it is likely expired - brake booster.

you should bleed the abs system (need computer to do that) then bleed the main brakes. if there is air in the abs, bleeding just the mains wont work. or find a gravel road, put your vehicle in reverse, drive at moderate speed then brake hard to engage abs. repeat a few times and see if that helps. if it does not, and pedal travel is fine, you might be looking at replacing the hcu and/or abs module.

• 4 weeks later...