Remote Start Stopped working

Hi all,

I have been reading forums and researching for days.  I have a 2017 ford edge, the vehicle has a remote start, and it has worked fine for years.  Recently it stopped working.  I have checked the usual culprits.  The remote start feature is turned on in the dashboard.  I read the OBD, and there are no check engine lights or codes.  I checked the hood sensor looks good, and no opened hood is displayed on the dashboard.  Both keyfobs work fine opening and closing the hatchback. It also locks and unlocks doors just fine.  The only thing that does not work is the auto start. I checked the fuse for the security module, and it looks good.

Anything else I should look at?  Do these things die; I assume that the open/close feature is handled by the same module that the remote starts.  Should I buy another module?  I imagine if I did so, I would have to reprogram something.  Help and suggestions are welcome. 

Thanks

So, what happens? Auto-start is done by:

1) Lock the car with the fob

2) Hit the start button twice on the fob

3) The car starts and the fob blinks green

Does your fob blink at all? I would suspect that the fob needs new batteries, offhand. As @ebank mentions above, it COULD be the main car battery, but  that would have other problems. If the fob blinks red, then the command to start failed (the fob didn't get an "ack" back from the car). This can happen with weak fob batteries.

Edited by bofus

• 6 months later...

@Rob4652 Were you able to get this sorted out? I am experiencing the same thing myself.

One important detail for me is that it seemed to stop working after the car's battery died and we replaced it. I can't say for certain that it stopped working after the battery change, because i last used the remote start probably a week or more before that.

No open hood warning, the System box is checked under Remote Start in the menu, the key fob locks/unlocks and opens/closes the trunk. I think the only thing i didnt test is the Security Module fuse, which one is that? FWIW i tested the fuses under the hood and they all seemed good. I didnt get into the interior fusebox yet.

I get 3 red flashes on the key fob when i try to do it on either of the 2 keyfobs. I'll change one of the batteries tomorrow.

The battery was changed by AAA, i didn't double check them at the time because I am too trusting of people, but the new battery has 650 CCA, is that enough? I assume so because it is enough to start the car normally.

Edited by Oranga

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Fixed!

Wanted to circle back on this in case anyone else experiences the same issue. I know I saw the suggestion to disconnect the battery for 10-20 minutes, but for some reason I just kept forgetting to do it. So I eventually remembered and did it the other night. And just like that, the remote start worked just fine again!

It must have cleared some codes in the system - probably related to the battery dying and being replaced. Having a code reader to read and clear the codes would probably have accomplished the same thing, but I don't have one handy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1