2013 3.5L low oil pressure light

Nibs3675

So we hopped in the car this morning and took off down the road car drove fine for around 30 mins of driving the suddenly every time we stopped at a red light or parked and idled the low oil pressure light would come on multiple times and ding, but never stay on for more than 10 seconds, when the lights on car is still running fine and smooth, no bumps, noises or shuttering or anything, if you shut the car off it takes a couple minutes or so for it to start back doing it when you stop, doesn’t start back immediately, it’s due for an oil change the oil Life is at 36%, what are the odds of this just being a faulty oil pressure switch? Or possibly the quality of the oil affecting it? Any input is appreciated

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

As mentioned, I would consider it actually being low oil pressure until you get to the point it might be a wiring or sender issue. I would check the oil level. If it is low in some instances it could cause a low pressure situation.

I am battling this with my 2012 Fusion Sport (with the same 3.5). Mine is leaking oil from the pressure sender. At first the low oil pressure light would come on only at a specific intersection when I stopped. Now after I drive it hard for a while it will inconsistently be on when the RPMs are lower than 800 rpm (when the oil pressure really is low, but should be higher than the sensor reports as low). Once I replace the pressure sender, if it is still on I will get a mechanical gauge to test it, then...assume it is an internal issue, clogged oil pickup, bearing tolerances/wear, bad oil pump.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/14/2023 at 2:11 PM, Nibs3675 said:

...drove fine for around 30 mins

...red light or parked and idled the low oil pressure light

...never stay on for more than 10 seconds

...no bumps, noises or shuttering or anything

...due for an oil change the oil Life is at 36%

...odds of this just being a faulty oil pressure switch?

...quality of the oil affecting it?

Oil DipStick level?

What weight of Oil?

Miles+Time since last Oil+Filter change?