Cooling fans always running 2012 3.5L Limited Towing Option - Problem Fixed!

SteelTX

Noticed cooling fan(s) was running the other day when I got home. Just thought it normal. But, Monday morning the car's battery was dead. And when I connected jumper cables the fan(s) came back on.

Did some checking and this model, and it has a 2 channel fan relay (because of optional towing package ) mounted just under the air intake behind the radiator. Appears it's function is to turn on the fans with increase temperature.

Tested with an ohm meter and found that one channel, the upper, is on all the time even when cold.

Question, is this the only thing that controls the fans? Or is there some other control sending power when needed and then this device will ramp up the second fan as needed?

Thanks, Ron C.

Edited by SteelTX
  • Thanks 1

Believe on your Towing\2ChannelOutput PWM FanController,

the Input side is a 3PinSocket; those 3Wires are 12vPower + Ground + PWMControlFromComputer = 8.0~0.8v = 0~100%FanSpeed.

Sound like that 2Channel PWM Controller has cratered, a NotoriousFailureItem.

Recommend replacing with OEM part FordMotorCraft# 7t4z-8b658-b

& avoiding cheaper offbrand replacements (i painfully learned that lesson on this item).

You can also buy & replace the entire DualFan+Shroud+Contoller as an assembly, of course for more dollars.

Edited by DILLARD000
  • Like 2