Can nav be added to a 2022 Edge with Sync 4A?

I *think* the answer is no, but I thought I'd ask.

It's odd that Ford would not add a way for the dealer to upgrade an existing vehicle to navigation.  My Mazdas always had a provision for adding satellite radio and navigation to cars already equipped with the LCD display.

Second question - can a junk yard donor provide the equipment necessary?   A friend is looking at a 2022 Edge that doesn't have nav, but has a huge Tesla sized screen. 

2022 Edge display

Thanks for any input.

John

I'm not an expert on this but believe that it is possible to add NAV but it would need a new APIM and GPS antenna - this is what I did on my wife's 2015 Mustang.

I can PM you the contact for the person that sold me all the Ford hardware needed, all configured.

On my 2017 Edge Sport I no longer use the in dash NAV after getting a wireless Carplay device - Waze is all I use for navigation.

• Like 1

Ford released the following Special Service Message to dealerships on August 26, 2022...

SSM 51055   Adding/Removing Features Using Programmable Parameters Due To Vehicle Modifications

• Ford and Lincoln vehicle owners may request modifications to their vehicle such as enabling daytime running lamps (DRL), adding navigation, changing tire/axle sizes, and/or adding trailer brake control modules. 
  • A list of programmable parameters that are available for alteration is shown in Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 418-01A > Module Configuration. Parameters available for alteration will vary by model and model year. 
  • If the desired parameter is not listed in the right column of the Module Configuration and Parameter Chart, alteration of that parameter is not supported by Ford Motor Company. 
  • A list of supported parts that can be added to the vehicle is available at accessories.ford.com. Adding/removing accessories and/or programming vehicle features is not warrantable.

2014 was the final Model Year for Navigation to be shown as an approved dealer-programmable APIM/SYNC Module parameter for Edge/MKX vehicles.

At the dealership level, a vehicle's SYNC Service Report in Ford's OASIS database includes the serial number of the originally installed APIM/SYNC module, as well as a last-recorded software list which shows if Navigation was previously present.

With Ford's software servers releasing OTA updates by vehicle VIN,  I wonder how SYNC and map updates would occur, though the Internet-at-large is a possible source.

To update the old saying: Where there's a will -- and enough money -- there's a way.

And it will likely void some portion of Ford's warranty.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Unless they don't have an Android or Apple phone, I don't think that in car nav is great, and all the features from the phone navigation is way better. If it was needed for things like self driving or other things, then maybe, but it would hard to trust.

Since it SYNC 4/4a and wireless, don't even need to connect it, and if it has the wireless charging pad, all the better. I don't mind plugging in my phone every time I use the vehicle. I updated mine with the latest maps, and tried to use it, and tried to be fair, but it just doesn't cut it. Maybe if you need things like always north at the top, or where gas stations were 3 years ago, it is okay.

I watched my father try to navigate to a destination on unfamiliar streets with the built in navigation on his 2020 Explorer. It was terrible. It was mildly outdated (at least 3 times it didn't know of a new turn added), it kept wanting him go past the turn and do a u-turn, which made him think he had to do a u-turn from the current turn, which was a double turn, and he was outside, and it didn't have as up to date closures, speed traps, and notifications about stalled vehicles or debris in the road.

Thanks everyone.  My buddy is going to pass on the Edge.

He'd prefer a built in nav and I agree.  I've never seen a phone work as well as a dedicated navigation unit.  On my wife's old 2009 Edge, if a voice prompt wasn't heard or understood, a simple press of the button on the tuning knob made it repeat the message without taking eyes off the road, although I don't know if the new Sync 4A offers a physical button like the 09 Sync radio had. If someone else borrows the car they won't have a nav unless they know how to sync their phones to the car.  In my case, I often forget to take my phone (I'm not a Borg and don't have a hive mind where I need the security of constant contact). 

John

• Like 1