Black transmission fluid

Hamyscj

New Edge owner and new user to the forum. I've had this 2015 Edge Titanium for a week and am starting to do my usual new car routine of changing all the fluids, etc. 2.0 engine, 70k on the odometer. Yesterday's task was changing the trans fluid and PTU fluid. The PTU fluid was dark with a bit of metallic goo on the drain plug. Well within my expectations. The trans fluid came out as black as dirty diesel oil. I was shocked to see this! The good news, if there is such a thing when you're trans fluid is black, was that it did not smell burnt. I've been rebuilding Chrysler transmissions since the early 90's and have smelled too many burnt transmissions. This was not that. 

So my question for those who are experienced with the internals of this transmission... should I be worried? What are the long term effects of this? I only had enough fluid on hand for 1 change as I was not expecting black. I plan on at least 2 more changes next week, possibly 3, until it comes out red.

Quite honestly, the transmission did not shift bad at all which also surprised me given the quality of the fluid. It did have a lazy 2 to 3 shift. Time will tell if new fluid helped with that. 

I plan on calling the dealer that I bought it from as they did an 88 point check on the car and gave it a clean bill of health. Obviously no one cracked open the check port and actually looked at the fluid. 

I'm going to try and attach a photo...

Thanks for being a community!!

Mercon LV has a very dark color package to it (unlike Mercon V which is bright red), and it is very common for it to be very dark even after as low as 30k miles. Ford had an SSM in 2009 when more vehicles started using Mercon LV that is normal and color should not be the only thing used to determine transmission health.

I did my first drain on a 6F35 at 40k miles and thought I drained the crankcase instead. As you mention it doesn't smell burnt, sounds like it is normal Mercon LV fluid.

To do a close to 100% drain you have to perform the drain and refill 3 times. I just did a single drain/refill at 40k, 60k, and 80k. Still well ahead of the normal scheduled maintenance for normal use.

mercon lv  does brown as it ages  but certainly does not go black. definitely time to get all the old out.

how many drain/fills it takes depends on how much you get out each time

gen 2 capacities/specs

https://www.mactgarage.com/gen-2-ford-edge-capacities-and-spec

the 2.0 loves fresh engine oil and transmission fluid even more than the 3.5/3.7. a) forced induction, b) weaker transmission internals.

• Like 1

I've done the Drain/Fill twice on my 2017 Sport at around 45K miles each time and it was not black.

If its black I'd be concerned that its been abused or its a sign of issues on the horizon. 

70K mile oil change interval for the PTU is way overdue - I do mine at 30K miles.

• 8 months later...