Auto Stop Start

2024St_Line

I see people having issues with Auto start stop, So far since I picked up the Edge in august ive never complained about the Auto stop start, its never left me stranded at a green light or anything. By time im at the gas pedal it has already started

So question, as the car ages does the auto stop start get less responsive or is it just people being nit picky abt it?

Batteries wear down, as do starters, spark plugs, and other things that make starting an engine take longer, be more work. It does keep tabs on the battery and disables it once the battery has low SoC/volts/CCA but add in other variables and sometimes it won't start back up (it only happened to me twice, in my 2017 Escape, but that is 2 too many times).

I got to the point I didn't disable it eventually, but it still is annoying to me in a few situations, mostly left turns against oncoming vehicles from a light. If the steering wheel is turned significantly it can disable auto stop, but I apparently don't do that, so that .3 a second it takes to restart and go is significant in that situation. My wife gets annoyed when I disable it (I created a 555 timer circuit to disable it 10 seconds after starting the car), so I drive in Sport mode which disables it (but takes me to a dash display I don't use).

Of all the posts I've read, I don't recall anyone citing an actual problem that it has caused.  They just don't like it and/or just want to complain.  It can be unnerving but not like my 2019 Escape.  The stop and restart was more noticeable.  In the Edge it's smoother and quieter.  

Mine only kicks in a few months out of the year.  I keep windows up and climate control on.  The engine is quiet anyway so I have to look at the dash to see if it's stopped.  

9 hours ago, dabangsta said:

Batteries wear down, as do starters, spark plugs, and other things that make starting an engine take longer, be more work.

Evidence? I have only ever heard theories. 

I'm on my 3rd battery and my stop start very rarely engages, no where near the total start and stops that my 96 Camaro battery does that lasts 5 to 7 years(along with every other vehicle I've owned). If anything the amount of electronics could put a larger drain on the battery causing it to fail faster, I'm more so betting ford batteries are crap but only time will tell that. I replace far more starters in newer vehicles without start stop than with by a long shot. Spark plugs I have done in either types of vehicles have shown very similar wear. This is all from my experience from my own vehicles and customers, not from hear say or people blaming a defective part on something other than the defective part. Google searches yield the same results for me outside of forums, which like consumer reviews for products, you are far more likely to see negative posts than ones from people who have no issue at all.

Yes it may be an annoyance at times but I have yet to see or experience anything other than that. 

I own 5 Ford's all have ASS, it works fine in all of them, it doesn't bother me, it's easy to control with brake pedal pressure.  I've only put in one new battery, in the 2015 F-150 last year, not because it died, but I figured 7 years was good enough.  I kind of get the teeth gnashing over ASS when it first appeared, but it's been around for a long time now.  I can't believe people are still bitching about it and blaming it for everything and anything that goes wrong with thier car.

12 hours ago, Perblue said:

Evidence? I have only ever heard theories. 

I'm on my 3rd battery and my stop start very rarely engages, no where near the total start and stops that my 96 Camaro battery does that lasts 5 to 7 years(along with every other vehicle I've owned). If anything the amount of electronics could put a larger drain on the battery causing it to fail faster, I'm more so betting ford batteries are crap but only time will tell that. I replace far more starters in newer vehicles without start stop than with by a long shot. Spark plugs I have done in either types of vehicles have shown very similar wear. This is all from my experience from my own vehicles and customers, not from hear say or people blaming a defective part on something other than the defective part. Google searches yield the same results for me outside of forums, which like consumer reviews for products, you are far more likely to see negative posts than ones from people who have no issue at all.

Yes it may be an annoyance at times but I have yet to see or experience anything other than that. 

2012 Mustang battery in it's 12th year and still going strong. 2019 Lincoln battery also original. Both get load tested in the spring and fall. Both still in spec. 2010 Malibu original battery replaced in 2020 due to leakage at positive post. It still passed a load test.

I must have horse shoes up my sphincter.