Oil pressure question

Cerberus

For those who like to monitor data from their drivetrain, I have a question regarding oil pressure.

At idle with the engine fully at temp, I see oil pressure fluctuations from 17-26 psi, for no apparent reason.

Now, I know the pump has some variable geometry system which allows for different oil pressure (or flow rate?) basically on demand, but I don't like seeing so much variability in the pressure at idle. 

It still makes over 80psi when the loud pedal is on the floor, so I think the pump is probably fine, but I'm still curious if this is a common thing or possibly an indication of something wrong. 

Is this using OBD-II data, an added electronic sender, or a mechanical gauge? I had a low oil pressure light on in my 2012 Fusion with the 3.5 (which is not a 2.7 GTDI engine I know...) at some specific places (like stopping at a light after doing 45 mph and coming around a corner), so I checked with a mechanical gauge at it was at 18-21 psi depending on the engine temp. I replaced the oil pressure sender and it no longer comes on when idling when hot and specific driving conditions.

6 hours ago, dabangsta said:

Is this using OBD-II data, an added electronic sender, or a mechanical gauge? I had a low oil pressure light on in my 2012 Fusion with the 3.5 (which is not a 2.7 GTDI engine I know...) at some specific places (like stopping at a light after doing 45 mph and coming around a corner), so I checked with a mechanical gauge at it was at 18-21 psi depending on the engine temp. I replaced the oil pressure sender and it no longer comes on when idling when hot and specific driving conditions.

This is using OBDII data by OBDLink Bluetooth dongle. 

I have this "dashboard" of gauges that I use to monitor various relevant parameters by my phone

Since everything else shows the minimum at the low end of the scale, that 7 psi wasn't from initial startup? Can it be reset to not show initial value? I wonder how it is calculated. When I was adding PIDs to Torque the oil pressure one was actually percentage. So most people change the formula to use 80 psi as 100% (so they take the percentage of 80 psi and display that as the pressure) which seems to be what is done here.

8 hours ago, dabangsta said:

Since everything else shows the minimum at the low end of the scale, that 7 psi wasn't from initial startup? Can it be reset to not show initial value? I wonder how it is calculated. When I was adding PIDs to Torque the oil pressure one was actually percentage. So most people change the formula to use 80 psi as 100% (so they take the percentage of 80 psi and display that as the pressure) which seems to be what is done here.

Everything else shows zero because I did not reset the min/max on them. I did reset the min/max on the oil press after startup.

Cold idle, it's around 27psi and solid.

At temperature,  it flickers as I described before.

This value is not a percentage. 

I meant to reply earlier, I tried monitoring the oil pressure using ForScan lite (android), these are my observations:

Driving, I did see low oil pressures, as low as 2.9 psi at one point, which seems to have been from when braking/stopping hard.

At idle, or stopped in drive, the oil pressure fluctuates ~2-4 psi only.

Oil pressure is the last graph at the bottom in below screenshots (EOP_PRESS):

Fist screenshot is from while driving.

Second is while idling stopped in drive.

Third is while idling in Park.

Screenshot_2023-12-03-06-28-25-72_dee59b835d2f11fa6793e5fae3d98dbf.thumb.jpg.6989b9566239e6ee375b3512898a6185.jpg

Screenshot_2023-12-06-19-14-16-20_dee59b835d2f11fa6793e5fae3d98dbf.thumb.jpg.e2e0c05af8d00148fe4566d4e6338d8f.jpg

Screenshot_2023-12-06-18-04-11-74_dee59b835d2f11fa6793e5fae3d98dbf.thumb.jpg.80923dd7064836a6609c4d5d4e8f54b6.jpg

Edited by omar302
  • Like 2

2.9 pounds of oil pressure, even for a moment, would make me very uncomfortable! 

I know that might sound like an alarmist point of view, but it's fairly important.

There can obviously be a debate as to how low is too low, especially over a duration of time.. but given my experience,  I'd much rather have too much oil pressure if there is such a thing, than not enough.

Edge 2.7 EcoBoost specification from the 2016 Workshop Manual...

Oil Pressure

NOTE: The following oil pressure readings are acquired using a scan tool and monitoring the EOP_PRESS PID.

Item Specification
Reading 1: Minimum average oil pressure @ 2,000 rpm after 15 secs with engine at normal operating temperature and transmission in Park 21 psi (144.8 kPa)
Reading 2: Minimum average oil pressure @ 2,000 rpm after 15 secs with engine at normal operating temperature and transmission in Park (Oil Pressure Control Solenoid connector disconnected) Reading 1 value plus 8 psi (55.1 kPa)

Good luck!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Haz said:

Edge 2.7 EcoBoost specification from the 2016 Workshop Manual...

Oil Pressure

NOTE: The following oil pressure readings are acquired using a scan tool and monitoring the EOP_PRESS PID.

Item Specification
Reading 1: Minimum average oil pressure @ 2,000 rpm after 15 secs with engine at normal operating temperature and transmission in Park 21 psi (144.8 kPa)
Reading 2: Minimum average oil pressure @ 2,000 rpm after 15 secs with engine at normal operating temperature and transmission in Park (Oil Pressure Control Solenoid connector disconnected) Reading 1 value plus 8 psi (55.1 kPa)

Good luck!

this is interesting information.

i have a page extract here that says something different, although it is a from a 2015 fordtechservice.dealerconnection . com 2.7 ecoboost specifications pdf

it specifies 30psi minimum oil pressure @ 1500 rpm with engine at normal operating temperature
One of the interesting take-aways from your reference Haz, is that the oil pressure control solenoid when disconnected, drives oil pump output up from baseline by 8psi

Soo... what if it was just disconnected and left that way? I suspect it might annoy the computer, but would it de-rate the operation?

Perhaps your Workshop Manual extract is from prior to October 15, 2019, when that 2015 Specifications page was revised...

676566116_2015Edge2.7LEcoBoostSpecificationsHEADER-WorkshopManualpageRevisedOctober152019-.jpg.cfe13890501c163d7625e6c560f23267.jpg

Oil Pressure

Item Specification

Your supposition on the Oil Pressure Control Solenoid affect is confirmed by Steps 5 & 7 of Electronic Engine Controls diagnostic Pinpoint Test H...

H5.jpg.28534179b80642b7aa568554f1d53644.jpg

H8.jpg.0d630138cee8f0066651a71aa4c908c1.jpg

Document download link> Oil Pressure Control Solenoid Removal and Installation - 2015 Edge Workshop Manual, Revised 01-09-2015.pdf 

(consistent with 2016 Edge Workshop Manual)

Good luck!

Edit: I neglected to include...

DTC Fault Trigger Condition-PCM

DTC Description Fault Trigger Conditions
P06DA Engine Oil Pressure Control Circuit/Open Sets when the PCM detects an open on the engine oil pressure control solenoid valve circuit.
P06DB Engine Oil Pressure Control Circuit Low Sets when the PCM detects a short to ground on the engine oil pressure control solenoid valve circuit.
P06DC Engine Oil Pressure Control Circuit High Sets when the PCM detects a short to voltage on the engine oil pressure control solenoid valve circuit.
P06DD Engine Oil Pressure Control Circuit Performance/Stuck Off Sets when the PCM detects the engine oil pressure control solenoid valve is stuck.

Possible Sources

• Engine oil pressure control solenoid valve
  • PCM
  • Wiring, terminals or connectors

Edited by Haz
  • Like 3

On 12/10/2023 at 11:31 AM, Haz said:

Edit: I neglected to include...

DTC Fault Trigger Condition-PCM

DTC Description Fault Trigger Conditions
P06DA Engine Oil Pressure Control Circuit/Open Sets when the PCM detects an open on the engine oil pressure control solenoid valve circuit.
P06DB Engine Oil Pressure Control Circuit Low Sets when the PCM detects a short to ground on the engine oil pressure control solenoid valve circuit.
P06DC Engine Oil Pressure Control Circuit High Sets when the PCM detects a short to voltage on the engine oil pressure control solenoid valve circuit.
P06DD Engine Oil Pressure Control Circuit Performance/Stuck Off Sets when the PCM detects the engine oil pressure control solenoid valve is stuck.

yeah.. that's what i figured.. 

Thanks for the confirmation