Ford Pass: vehicle in battery saver mode

Greetings,

I recently picked up an edge ST which supports ford pass.  I am getting a notification that the vehicle in battery saver mode, then I cannot use the app.  This occurs even after long drives and am unsure what to check out next.  I can't imagine the battery is toast already.

What year ST is it? I don't think the Edge has any known issues like others (like the Explorer) where it incorrectly reports that. When to turn off the car and before you open a door can you keep the radio going for a bit?

Batteries aren't what they used to be. When my 2017 Escape starting doing this I also couldn't listen to music without the engine running, I got a similar message that it was shutting down to preserve the battery. Mine tested down the 225CCA, and I drove it like that for awhile, as it always started fine, and I carried a jump box. but in the end wasn't worth the loss of remote start and location and wondering when it would fail to start.

33 minutes ago, sc00by said:

Greetings,

I recently picked up an edge ST which supports ford pass.  I am getting a notification that the vehicle in battery saver mode, then I cannot use the app.  This occurs even after long drives and am unsure what to check out next.  I can't imagine the battery is toast already.

Welcome.

Get your battery tested for free at a place like Autozone.

Add your location and vehicle Model/Year to your profile signature - Settings - Ford Edge Forum

27 minutes ago, dabangsta said:

What year ST is it? I don't think the Edge has any known issues like others (like the Explorer) where it incorrectly reports that. When to turn off the car and before you open a door can you keep the radio going for a bit?

Batteries aren't what they used to be. When my 2017 Escape starting doing this I also couldn't listen to music without the engine running, I got a similar message that it was shutting down to preserve the battery. Mine tested down the 225CCA, and I drove it like that for awhile, as it always started fine, and I carried a jump box. but in the end wasn't worth the loss of remote start and location and wondering when it would fail to start.

So a few times I have been in the car and the radio turns off sooner than it should and gives a notice about battery save.

9 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

Welcome.

Get your battery tested for free at a place like Autozone.

Add your location and vehicle Model/Year to your profile signature - Settings - Ford Edge Forum

I'll see about a battery test.

Sig updated.

Welcome to the Forum, @sc00by!

The FordPass app's reaction to your 2020 Edge ST's likely borderline Battery State of Charge (SOC) and/or Battery Voltage condition is the result of Battery Load Shed strategy, described in the Workshop Manual section attached below as a PDF document...

Good luck!

Battery Load Shed - Description and Operation - 2020 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Edited by Haz
  • Like 2

So I went to the parts store and they said the battery life was in the 25% range so it sounds like a new battery will be needed.

Is there a specific brand/model that folks typically prefer?  Is there a larger battery I can fit in there?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, sc00by said:

So I went to the parts store and they said the battery life was in the 25% range so it sounds like a new battery will be needed.

Is there a specific brand/model that folks typically prefer?  Is there a larger battery I can fit in there?

I got mine at Costco, but there's many good brands available, even Walmart sells some good ones.

You should also be able to go up one size.

• Like 1

So an update FWIW.

After I went to the parts store and the battery was tested, the car was showing up in the app later on....but I had already ordered a new battery.  Cleaned up some grounds and slapped in the new battery tonight and reset the BMS.

59 minutes ago, sc00by said:

So an update FWIW.

After I went to the parts store and the battery was tested, the car was showing up in the app later on....but I had already ordered a new battery.  Cleaned up some grounds and slapped in the new battery tonight and reset the BMS.

gotta love a happy ending.

but just to be sure, it might be worth checking your charging voltage at idle, and if you have Forscan you can even read the alternator output current from the alternator current output sensor.

I was getting the battery saver mode warning on mine before my alternator failed. 

1 hour ago, sc00by said:

So an update FWIW.

What's that actually mean?