Ford to put Ecoboost to wide use

Edge Guide

Turbo-injection system to be in 90% of models by 2013

Ford Motor Co. revealed wide-ranging new plans Thursday for an engine technology it will use to improve fuel economy across its model line.

The engines will be available in 90% of Ford's models by 2013, when the company expects to build 700,000 of the engines annually in the United States and 1.3 million around the world, said Barb Samardzich, company vice president for powertrains.

Ford calls the system Ecoboost. It combines turbocharging with direct injection of gasoline to allow Ford to replace larger engines like V8s with smaller, more fuel-efficient engines like V6s.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Turbo-injection system to be in 90% of models by 2013

Ford Motor Co. revealed wide-ranging new plans Thursday for an engine technology it will use to improve fuel economy across its model line.

The engines will be available in 90% of Ford's models by 2013, when the company expects to build 700,000 of the engines annually in the United States and 1.3 million around the world, said Barb Samardzich, company vice president for powertrains.

Ford calls the system Ecoboost. It combines turbocharging with direct injection of gasoline to allow Ford to replace larger engines like V8s with smaller, more fuel-efficient engines like V6s.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE.

Read up on the Audi I4 TFSI engine to understand just how many years behind the times Ford engineering happens to be. And now they have a new SuperCharged V6 TFSI engine.

Ford TWINFORCE..

Couldn't restart the HP race so it's now called EcoBOOST.

SHAM...!!

Read up on the Audi I4 TFSI engine to understand just how many years behind the times Ford engineering happens to be. And now they have a new SuperCharged V6 TFSI engine.

Ford TWINFORCE..

Couldn't restart the HP race so it's now called EcoBOOST.

SHAM...!!

Don't start this crap over here, too.

I also think it is a great idea. It may be somewhat of a rehashing of the T-Bird turbocoupes from the early and mid 80's, but I loved those cars! I had an 88 Turbocoupe. large car with 2.3L 4 cyl engine. Over 200hp and 30+ mpg. Sold it after 150k trouble free miles. I've always loved the efficiency and power a turbo can give and with modern turbos, there is really very little to no lag. I couldn't be more excited to see them using it again - best of both world with more power and better mileage!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I remember when Chrysler did this in the 80s by eliminating their bigger engines with the smaller 4 cylinder turbo. I got one of those cars, and it was a nightmare.

I had an '89 Plymouth Voyager with a 2.5L Turbo and kept the middle and back seats out for work. The thing was so light that it used to be able to smoke my buddies 5.0 stang from 0-80.... Went through 3 transmissions with that little torq monster.

I remember when Chrysler did this in the 80s by eliminating their bigger engines with the smaller 4 cylinder turbo. I got one of those cars, and it was a nightmare.

I had a Dodge Daytona Shelby Z, my first new car. I din't have any mechanical problems at all with it. You neded to use at least 89 octane for it to run satisfactory. Also, it had far better performance during cold weather then when it was hot. The worst thing on them was the long turbo lag. Once it got going, the performance was surprisingly good.

Edited by MKX2007