dim lighting on instrument panel/dash

• 2 weeks later...

I have a new '09 and cannot easily read the instrument panel in daylight. The contrast between the gray face and black (when unlighted) numerals is very weak.

It gets worse if you turn on lights during the day because the lighted numerals have even less contrast with gray face. At least with lights on the red needles

stand out--too bad you can't see where they are pointing.

It's fine at night except that it will not adjust to a very bright display. Is there any fix for this--stronger lighting that would show up in the day with lights on or a replacement face that is lighter (even white)?

I have asked my dealer and they are researching and said they would get back with me next week. I love everything about the Edge except I find myself having to look away from the road to get a good reading on speed, fuel, rpm, temp. That's not a good thing. I will appreciate a fix or suggestion.

Instrument panel lighting

I have an 09 as well, but don't have any problems seeing the dash in either the daytime or at night. So, it could be a subjective thing (dim to you = bright to me) or yours really are defective. Dunno....

My wife is unable to see speedometer markings at twilight. Since this affects her commute (40 minutes each way) she is not happy! This is complicated because her commute is east in the morning and west at night. Sun glare is a problem! Her solution is to put black tape at the 60, 70 and 80 markers. Not too impressive for a $39,000. car!! Her last two cars did not have this issue. She wants to dump the car! Any thoughts!

My wife is unable to see speedometer markings at twilight. Since this affects her commute (40 minutes each way) she is not happy! This is complicated because her commute is east in the morning and west at night. Sun glare is a problem! Her solution is to put black tape at the 60, 70 and 80 markers. Not too impressive for a $39,000. car!! Her last two cars did not have this issue. She wants to dump the car! Any thoughts!

Hi PJFW8. :D Not trying to be a wiseguy, because I have no idea how old you or your wife are, but has she had her eyes checked lately? And it does not even have to be a question of age, lots of young people wear (or need) glasses too.

When many people get to the point that they need glasses, they insist that everything else is changing, when it is actually their eyes/vision that are changing. That is why you will always overhear people who need glasses (but swear that they do not) insisting that the dates on coins are now being printed smaller, newspapers are saving money by printing smaller, books and manuals are being printed smaller, the lights on the dashboard are too dim at twilight etc etc.

In reality it is not all of those things getting smaller or dimmer, it is our eyesight getting worse.

Of course, glasses may not be the answer, but it is something to think about. And certainly cheaper than "dumping the car"

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi PJFW8. :D Not trying to be a wiseguy, because I have no idea how old you or your wife are, but has she had her eyes checked lately? And it does not even have to be a question of age, lots of young people wear (or need) glasses too.

When many people get to the point that they need glasses, they insist that everything else is changing, when it is actually their eyes/vision that are changing. That is why you will always overhear people who need glasses (but swear that they do not) insisting that the dates on coins are now being printed smaller, newspapers are saving money by printing smaller, books and manuals are being printed smaller, the lights on the dashboard are too dim at twilight etc etc.

In reality it is not all of those things getting smaller or dimmer, it is our eyesight getting worse.

Of course, glasses may not be the answer, but it is something to think about. And certainly cheaper than "dumping the car"

Good luck. :beerchug:

20 - 20 and a rock-head! At twilight the lights go on but the dash lights seem to delay in switching to a brighter mode. I don't have a problem but males tend to have better low light vision. I will ask the dealer. As this forum shows...this is not an unique complaint!

thread_is_worthless.jpg

night and twilight photos would do this thread a wonder.. could help us compare what you think you have versus what the rest of us have that seems to be just fine

I've noticed exactly what folks are complaining about although it's not severe enough to cause problems for me (yet).

The numbers tend to blend into the background at dusk.

And Lex wants me to send a picture of darkness!!

huh?

just like I was able to capture pictures of the reflection issue talked about elsewhere - which shed light (no pun intended) on the issue to many who could not visualize it or had it themselves - this is one that could be easy to photo capture. Same with those of us that have taken night shots of the HID lighting. Capture a night shot of your dash/display and label it, and capture a twilight shot and label it - both with the dimmer setting on highest. easy. you raised the question, it is vague at best to many who do not have the issue (as I see it only about 50% of the people posting here see/have the issue), so maybe some photos would clear up if this is just a personal issue - like others state it could be - or a flaw in your system. as it is now, people are just guessing about yours since we have nothing to look at and compare with systems that seem to be fine.

so, I think pictures are a pretty legit request - and easy to take - if you care to try to find out if it is just your wife, or a flaw.

huh?

just like I was able to capture pictures of the reflection issue talked about elsewhere - which shed light (no pun intended) on the issue to many who could not visualize it or had it themselves - this is one that could be easy to photo capture. Same with those of us that have taken night shots of the HID lighting. Capture a night shot of your dash/display and label it, and capture a twilight shot and label it - both with the dimmer setting on highest. easy. you raised the question, it is vague at best to many who do not have the issue (as I see it only about 50% of the people posting here see/have the issue), so maybe some photos would clear up if this is just a personal issue - like others state it could be - or a flaw in your system. as it is now, people are just guessing about yours since we have nothing to look at and compare with systems that seem to be fine.

so, I think pictures are a pretty legit request - and easy to take - if you care to try to find out if it is just your wife, or a flaw.

She agrees with you. The photos are coming. Her last 2 cars were a Lexus RX400h and a Mercedes. She expects cars to be thoroughly engineered. This is a problem unique to the Edge. I'm not a Ford basher. My daily driver is a Fusion Hybrid. That dash is clear under the same conditions.

She agrees with you. The photos are coming. Her last 2 cars were a Lexus RX400h and a Mercedes. She expects cars to be thoroughly engineered. This is a problem unique to the Edge. I'm not a Ford basher. My daily driver is a Fusion Hybrid. That dash is clear under the same conditions.

I have had my Edge for 2 1/2 years and I still have frustration about the low dash lighting. It can not be addressed by service. It is a design and engineering flaw. I'm living with it.

I have had my Edge for 2 1/2 years and I still have frustration about the low dash lighting. It can not be addressed by service. It is a design and engineering flaw. I'm living with it.

2011 Edges will be available for Ford retirees to "test drive"in a couple of weeks. There are Ford retirees on this forum. If any of you get the chance please check this out. (I'm also curious...Ecoboost 2.0 or 3.5?)

Edited by PJFW8

I was driving the wifes edge at dusk last night. I didn't have any trouble reading the numbers on the gauges. I tried everything from minimum back lighting to full on. Sorry your wife is having trouble with hers, but I didn't see a problem.

Part of the problem is her commute; mornings into the sun and afternoon into the setting sun. As I said...no problem with any of our cars in the past! She is trying to get a picture to document the issue. Recent overcast has made that impossible! I do appreciate that you checked! I may put a small piece of florescent tape at the 60,70 and 80 numerals. Picures soon Lex!

I may put a small piece of florescent tape at the 60,70 and 80 numerals.

not sure what this means?

though, as I have said, I seem to have no issues in this case - but do with the reflective dash glare others do and do not - I certainly think time of day and suns lighting makes all of the difference. Driving into the sunlight on a sunny day and the dashboard glare issue I have is off the charts (as I think my photos show), but drive with light behind or besides you, no real issue. point is, some of these can be only recognized in the coming together of certain variables at the right time. Now, dashboard glare or weak backlighting aside, what many of us do have in common on both of these is that they are not issues on other cars we have/did have - so they are noticeable and so it is nice to get to the bottom of them and determine if there are ways to address them.