I'm Looking To Buy A GPS

Both Garmin and Tom Tom make good units. For God's sake, don't go near a Magellan, a Nextar, or some WalMart crap brand you've never heard of. All around best bang for the buck at the $200 range in the Garmin 255wt. Froogle.com it and you should find a good deal.

By the way, the 260 is discontinued and it's not widescreen so it's a bit more difficult to see. I've done a lot of homework on this.

Go with the Garmin 255W or 255WT, they are both able to be purchased at a cheaper price sine he new models have started coming out. I had the 260W and now have a 1300T. The "T" stands for traffic, which is only in the 50 major US cities. So unless you live in one of those that shouldn't matter.

Don't go with Tom Tom. I work in a major retail chain and we see more of them returned than anything else. Yes they are cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

Actually there is a new mount that Garmin just came out with a month or 2 ago. It iis alot smaller than the bean bag mount, and stays put. It is about the size of your hand and is silicone on the bottom to keep it in place. It works really well and doesn't look as silly as the bean bag one.

GPS's are very popular items to be stolen, so be careful about leaving evidence of a gps, like a mount or permanent mount on the dash or suction cup rings on the windshield. They do a lot of damage to the car to get a 200 dollar gps.

there is someone here, you will have to search to find details, that built in a stand that blends in with the top coin holder rubber cup on the dash. IIRC, he cut through that and attached the mount to the dash directly so it is always there. then, the stand come up through the coin holder and viola... looks built in.

I made a mount for the coin tray. Took the rubber out and made an aluminum base and a mount post. Used the 2 existing screws and holes to mount the new plate and cut a slit in the rubber tray. GPS attaches with a wing nut. The puppies dress up the tray when the GPS is not installed. My GPS is a 7" Plenio from Freys. This unit is a 7 inch unit with touch screen controls. Its easy to see and has voice capabilities among other features. Black felt over the brushed chrome eliminates glare.

post-6657-1254059727_thumb.jpg

post-6657-1254059756_thumb.jpg

post-6657-1254059775_thumb.jpg

post-6657-1254059792_thumb.jpg

I made a mount for the coin tray. Took the rubber out and made an aluminum base and a mount post. Used the 2 existing screws and holes to mount the new plate and cut a slit in the rubber tray. GPS attaches with a wing nut. The puppies dress up the tray when the GPS is not installed. My GPS is a 7" Plenio from Freys. This unit is a 7 inch unit with touch screen controls. Its easy to see and has voice capabilities among other features. Black felt over the brushed chrome eliminates glare.

why didn't you run the wire up through the same location, hole in the center console under the rubber coin tray (that entire center console pulls away SO easy and there is a ton of room to run a wire up), and then wire that into the fuse box (or other wiring) so that the power wire is hidden.

why didn't you run the wire up through the same location, hole in the center console under the rubber coin tray (that entire center console pulls away SO easy and there is a ton of room to run a wire up), and then wire that into the fuse box (or other wiring) so that the power wire is hidden.

I may want to use the GPS in another vehicle using the windshield suction cup and I need the power cord with its plug to power the GPS.

• 2 weeks later...
I may want to use the GPS in another vehicle using the windshield suction cup and I need the power cord with its plug to power the GPS.

I use a piece of 3/8" plate glass cut to size & shape. You can use some soft material folded to proper thickness at top edge to hold glass firmly in place. When I'm out of car, I use a ball cap to cover GPS and charger. When driving, hat "stores" on headrest. The downside is U lose use of storage nook to left of charger & some use of black "catch all" tray.

post-5957-1255287908_thumb.jpgpost-5957-1255287929_thumb.jpgpost-5957-1255287947_thumb.jpg

Edited by dadrett

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In case you are still looking...

I have a work provided vehicle and drive about 40,000 miles a year so a GPS is essential for me. I started with a basic Garmin Nuvi 205 a couple of years ago when they first came out and it was great. Unfortunately, it crapped out on me recently and I was looking seriously at some better models and ran across some Nuvi 265 units at Walmart (of all places!) that were right around $200 even though they are being replaced by Garmins newer models. It has spoken street names, and a few other features better than my old 205 and still much less expensive than some of the other new models. Not bad if you are looking for a basic type unit which is pretty much all I need for my work vehicle. There are many features to chose from that cover all cost ranges depending on what you are looking for but the $200 will only get you basic features.