Glove Box Light

909user

As a soon to be new Edge Limited owner, in 6-8 weeks, the one thing I forgot to check is if the glove box has a light in it, the description of the ambient lighting say all storage areas, just wondering if that might mean the glove box too ? Is it an easy retrofit if it doesn't ?

Edited by 909user

As a soon to be new Edge Limited owner, in 6-8 weeks, the one thing I forgot to check is if the glove box has a light in it, the description of the ambient lighting say all storage areas, just wondering if that might mean the glove box too ? Is it an easy retrofit if it doesn't ?

If not all you have to do is turn on the passenger side map light.

Yes, it's very easy to turn on the map light. :shades:

wasn't really his question. clearly anyone could have thought of your answer, or I will do you one better, why not just flip the dash dimmer switch to the "all lights on" setting - but again, par for course akirby answer and not really the answer he sought. :shades:

I'll take that as a compliment Lex :shades: Tee hee.

I have some LED ones over my counter. Not very bright for that, unfortunately, but perfect size and brightness for a glove box, just put it where you can't see it. Honestly, I never noticed there was not a lite in there. I don't use it except for the owners manual, can't reach it from the driver's seat. My iPod lites up the console.

hella cheezy :hysterical: but effective - I have even seen LED ones now

I'll take that as a compliment Lex :shades: Tee hee.

I have some LED ones over my counter. Not very bright for that, unfortunately, but perfect size and brightness for a glove box, just put it where you can't see it. Honestly, I never noticed there was not a lite in there. I don't use it except for the owners manual, can't reach it from the driver's seat. My iPod lites up the console.

"tap lights" make me think of those cheezy As Seen on TV late night commercials... the ones that are the size of a small plate and cheap white plastic that turns dingy yellow in time even in your closet. I think if you buy a Snuggie you get 3 tap lights :)

yeah, the newer LED ones are a bit more modern and cool, not as bulky, but not "integrated" enough for my tastes. Why would your iPod light up the center console? don't you have it set to have the backlight off? either way, since I never take out my ipod, it is down in the bottom of my console. with no light in that center console, it is a total dead zone below the top coin holder... the LED lights I put in are money and make all the difference in the world.

The ones I have under the cabinet are only about 3" big, and the more you are willing to spend the smaller and better lit they get. Stick one on the ceiling of the glove box and no one will see it, easy to turn on and off. Your lites are awesome, but some (or all) of us do not have your talent, so a good low tech solution. :)

My ipod lives in the tray, so I just hit the button to turn on the display, or use the over head lite to see.

Snuggies are awesome! It gets frickin cold here. I got a free book lite with mine.

Lex-can you integrate "The Clapper" to turn on the LED's in an Edge? Maybe a Chia Dashboard to eliminate reflections and to be more green? :)

36 PM' post='31186']

"tap lights" make me think of those cheezy As Seen on TV late night commercials... the ones that are the size of a small plate and cheap white plastic that turns dingy yellow in time even in your closet. I think if you buy a Snuggie you get 3 tap lights :)

yeah, the newer LED ones are a bit more modern and cool, not as bulky, but not "integrated" enough for my tastes. Why would your iPod light up the center console? don't you have it set to have the backlight off? either way, since I never take out my ipod, it is down in the bottom of my console. with no light in that center console, it is a total dead zone below the top coin holder... the LED lights I put in are money and make all the difference in the world.

I was dead serious. If you can turn on the map light and see into the glovebox just fine (I just tried it and had no problems) then why do you need another light in the glovebox?

the average air filter, tires, speakers, antenna, stereo, bulbs, navi unit, etc. etc all work "just fine" - but some of us just want more or an improvement over the status quo. and in this area, it needs improvement. but hey, you can stick with flipping on your map light and I will stick with opening the glove box and having a nice LED come on instantly for me. your 3 steps versus my 1.

I was dead serious. If you can turn on the map light and see into the glovebox just fine (I just tried it and had no problems) then why do you need another light in the glovebox?

Gee, I dont know, maybe people would like to see the contents of their glove box and not light up the whole interior of the car, which makes it more difficult to see from the drivers perspective and is distracting to other drivers as well. I would also like a light in the glove box and am planning on doing the mod....Thanks Lex!

There's a difference between doing it for fun and doing it because you can't see in the glovebox.

not sure what this means exactly? but it kind of sounds like your implying you think some of these mods - like adding light to an area that needs it - are done "just for fun" and not out of a perceived need or utility by the owner? is that what this is all about to you?

the average air filter, tires, speakers, antenna, stereo, bulbs, navi unit, etc. etc all work "just fine" - but some of us just want more or an improvement over the status quo. and in this area, it needs improvement. but hey, you can stick with flipping on your map light and I will stick with opening the glove box and having a nice LED come on instantly for me. your 3 steps versus my 1.

This is all personal preferrence, but I agree with Lex. Minor mods have significantly added to the enjoyment, safety and utility of my Edge and Fusion Hybrid. (I.e., blind spot mirrors, flip keys, modified pedals, side moldings, and lighting improvements to name a few) Some installations are fun, but many are tedious. I commend Lex and others for their leadership, creativity and willingness to document their efforts.

not sure what this means exactly? but it kind of sounds like your implying you think some of these mods - like adding light to an area that needs it - are done "just for fun" and not out of a perceived need or utility by the owner? is that what this is all about to you?

If you WANT light in the glovebox you can turn on the map light - you don't NEED to add another light. If you WANT to add a light then that's fine. Just don't try to rationalize everything.

If you WANT light in the glovebox you can turn on the map light - you don't NEED to add another light. If you WANT to add a light then that's fine. Just don't try to rationalize everything.

your ASSUMING the light that comes from the map light is ENOUGH light for the person versus a light IN the actual glovebox.

Just stop trying to be a contrarian all of the time. it is okay for you to occasionally admit some of these things are worthy additions.

it is okay for you to occasionally admit some of these things are worthy additions.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. I just pointed out that the map light illuminates the glove box sufficiently for most tasks - something the OP probably didn't know.

Why do all your mods have to be "worthwhile" or "necessary"? Why can't they just be for fun or personal preference?

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. I just pointed out that the map light illuminates the glove box sufficiently for most tasks - something the OP probably didn't know.

Why do all your mods have to be "worthwhile" or "necessary"? Why can't they just be for fun or personal preference?

obviously, all mods are a bit of both in the end. can't be so literal, and I even did say "some of these mods".. which implies some are this and some are that.

but anyway... :boring:

Gee, I dont know, maybe people would like to see the contents of their glove box and not light up the whole interior of the car, which makes it more difficult to see from the drivers perspective and is distracting to other drivers as well. I would also like a light in the glove box and am planning on doing the mod....Thanks Lex!

I couldn't agree more. If your driving at night & for some reason need to look in the glovebox, the maplight is going to be blinding & you won't be able to clearly see in the glovebox until your eyes adjust.