Royal Purple Synthetic

TN_Yank

I see they have a 5w20 weight oil, but they don't say they meet the Ford specification. If you are going to change your oil and filter according to the maintenance schedule (to maintain your warranty), why spend all that money when you can get Motorcraft 5w20 for about $2 per quart? It is what was designed for our engines. :shades:

Oil is such an opinionated issue...when I worked for Advance Auto in the late 90's, a test of all conventional oils was performed on a NYC taxi fleet....results? They all performed about the same as far as oil life, protection, etc.. Obviously, synthetics did perform better. As long as the oil you are using has the "starburst" symbol on the front or back, it will perform as expected...Hell, I've put 100K miles on my Express work van using SuperTech (Wally's brand) High Mileage 10w30. I bought the van with 80k miles. Thus far, I've had no issues with shortened life, performance issues or metal flakes on my magnetic drain plug. Of course, Jon Q. Smith will damn me for using the cheap stuff and recommend brand X as THE BEST.

However - I do use the Motorcraft blend in the Edge

Oil is such an opinionated issue...when I worked for Advance Auto in the late 90's, a test of all conventional oils was performed on a NYC taxi fleet....results? They all performed about the same as far as oil life, protection, etc.. Obviously, synthetics did perform better. As long as the oil you are using has the "starburst" symbol on the front or back, it will perform as expected...Hell, I've put 100K miles on my Express work van using SuperTech (Wally's brand) High Mileage 10w30. I bought the van with 80k miles. Thus far, I've had no issues with shortened life, performance issues or metal flakes on my magnetic drain plug. Of course, Jon Q. Smith will damn me for using the cheap stuff and recommend brand X as THE BEST.

However - I do use the Motorcraft blend in the Edge

Motorcraft Oil used to be canned by Conoco-- I don't know if they still do it, but-- there are only a few companies that package oil. They simply label and add the proper additives for their accounts.

Motorcraft is a synthetic blend, not a full synthetic like royal purple. Save yourself some money and go with Mobil 1 5w-20 or 0w-20. It is $23.00 for a 5 quart jug at Wally World. If you prefer the best synthetic oil, amsoil has you covered.

They have now full synthetic oil as well, that is the one I use, and it is made by Valvoline AFAIK...but it is not $2.00 a quart neither, nor Mobil 1 is, last time I got Mobil 1, was around $39.00 for 5 quarts, and filter, and I got them on a sale at AutoZone. Each change will run around $65.00 all included, and they usually gave you a coupon to knock off 25.00 later on...but trust me that unless you DIY, you will not get any better, ZapLube charges you 18.00 for labor only, and is one of the cheapest.

Purple Royal is IMO a brand like any other, at least Amsoil stand behind their products if they are not said to be met any specification, i ahve never heard that out of RP.

Specs are IMO another load of BS, any decent brand nowdays nows how to make very good oil, that will protect your car as well as any other, what are those marvelous specs that Ford has that need to be meet in so special way???

But if you want to be safe and keep the warranty, just do it at the dealer, it is expensive but you will do it how many times once or twice a year???

Specs are IMO another load of BS, any decent brand nowdays nows how to make very good oil, that will protect your car as well as any other, what are those marvelous specs that Ford has that need to be meet in so special way???

Grey has explained it in gory detail numerous times. The Ford spec is not hard to meet - most oil mfrs have versions that meet the spec. Ford designs the engine with certain criteria and not all oils meet that criteria. It's not a conspiracy.