Deactivate Speed Limiter via OBD-Diagnosis

Marccom

Hello all,

so far i know the Edge is limited to 115mph (185kph) only because of emission- and mileage-purposes

to fulfill the restrictions in some American States.

The chassis of the Edge should be good for higher speedlevels with the right tires and maybe some brakesystem-update.

The Limiter schould be pure electronicall and i already know, that the Edge can be reprogrammed with aftermarket power programmers.

But...normally this should be possible with the regular OBDII-Diagnostic-System of every Ford-Dealer, too.

Here in Germany are no generally speedlimits yet and no restrictions, so the Ford-Dealer should not have a problem with that, right?

Did somebody do that before?

I guess ungoverned Edges and MKXs should be good for 140-150mph (230-240kph)

What do you think?

Greets from Germany

Marc

Hello all,

so far i know the Edge is limited to 115mph (185kph) only because of emission- and mileage-purposes

to fulfill the restrictions in some American States.

The chassis of the Edge should be good for higher speedlevels with the right tires and maybe some brakesystem-update.

The Limiter schould be pure electronicall and i already know, that the Edge can be reprogrammed with aftermarket power programmers.

But...normally this should be possible with the regular OBDII-Diagnostic-System of every Ford-Dealer, too.

Here in Germany are no generally speedlimits yet and no restrictions, so the Ford-Dealer should not have a problem with that, right?

Did somebody do that before?

I guess ungoverned Edges and MKXs should be good for 140-150mph (230-240kph)

What do you think?

Greets from Germany

Marc

Hi Marc. :D Welcome to the club!

To my knowledge, the speed limiter can not be disabled through the OBDII diagnostics. There are aftermarket Tuners that can disable it. I would think twice though before doing it (read below).

My thoughts concerning top speed: The aerodynamic properties of a factory stock Edge will not allow it to reach 140-150 mph. To overcome its aerodynamic limitations and top 140, you would need to improve the engine performance (HP).

And to run safely at that speed, other aspects of the vehicle would also need upgrading. It really is not built for those types of sustained speeds.

I can tell you that for liability reasons in the U.S., it is highly doubtful any Ford Dealer would assist you in removing the speed limiter. I can not speak for German/European Ford Dealers.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi,

first thanks for the answers...should become an interesting discussion.

But i guess there is a little misunderstanding:...

It is not so important for me that Eddie really reaches the 140-150...i can imagine he´s able to...not more.

Only the fact is that i am sure that he will get some points over the governed 115.

Eddie is not a race-car...i know that. :shades:

If he would reach 125-130mph it would be enough, too.

You have to know that here are no general limitations on the highways (as mentioned) and it is quite normal here to

drive quite fast. Normally that are 80-100mph for me with children on board, but sometimes alone it is nice to get to the top.

On 3lane-highways it is quite normal to drive above 200kph on the left lane.

Eddie is able to speed up to 100mph as easy as towed by a bungee cord...and not very less powerful further like without any resistance to higher speeds till the needle in front of me reaches 190kph...then the feeling is like driving against a wall or like the bungee cord comes to its end of expanding-tolerance.

At the Moment Eddie has Continental CrossContact on the wheels with 245/60R18 T

That are all-season-tires and although they´re not bad, it is not the right thing here for that quite hard winters with snow

and for the summer they´re suboptimal, too.

So i decided to change in summertires in 235/60R18 V and wintertires in 235/65R17 H as soon the CrossContacts are depleted.

The CD3-Platform is a very good base. Ford Mondeo, Mazda6 or brother-model Cx-7 has the same base platform and are not topspeed-limited in Europe with the DieselEngines, bigger and stronger Gas Engines and Turbo-Engines they're easily able to reach speedlevels above or high above 130mph with absolute stable drivingbehavior.

I am still quite sure that ungoverned Edges and MKXs wouldn't lead in any technical or drivingsecurity-problems.

Greets

Marc

Edited by Marccom

Hi,

first thanks for the answers...should become an interesting discussion.

But i guess there is a little misunderstanding:...

It is not so important for me that Eddie really reaches the 140-150...i can imagine he´s able to...not more.

Only the fact is that i am sure that he will get some points over the governed 115.

Eddie is not a race-car...i know that. :shades:

If he would reach 125-130mph it would be enough, too.

You have to know that here are no general limitations on the highways (as mentioned) and it is quite normal here to

drive quite fast. Normally that are 80-100mph for me with children on board, but sometimes alone it is nice to get to the top.

On 3lane-highways it is quite normal to drive above 200kph on the left lane.

Eddie is able to speed up to 100mph as easy as towed by a bungee cord...and not very less powerful further like without any resistance to higher speeds till the needle in front of me reaches 190kph...then the feeling is like driving against a wall or like the bungee cord comes to its end of expanding-tolerance.

At the Moment Eddie has Continental CrossContact on the wheels with 245/60R18 T

That are all-season-tires and although they´re not bad, it is not the right thing here for that quite hard winters with snow

and for the summer they´re suboptimal, too.

So i decided to change in summertires in 235/60R18 V and wintertires in 235/65R17 H as soon the CrossContacts are depleted.

The CD3-Platform is a very good base. Ford Mondeo, Mazda6 or brother-model Cx-7 has the same base platform and are not topspeed-limited in Europe with the DieselEngines, bigger and stronger Gas Engines and Turbo-Engines they're easily able to reach speedlevels above or high above 130mph with absolute stable drivingbehavior.

I am still quite sure that ungoverned Edges and MKXs wouldn't lead in any technical or drivingsecurity-problems.

Greets

Marc

Hi Marc. :D Just as an FYI: Currently, the Edge and Mondeo are not related at all, platform/chassis or otherwise. The next generation Fusion will be based off the same platform as the next generation Mondeo, but that is a few years off. And plans for the next generation Edge are a little more unclear.

The current Edge is based off the same platform as the U.S. version Ford Fusion, which is/was a stretched and widened version of the then Mazda6 (in 2006). The current Mazda6 is based off a similar setup as the current Fusion (just a quickie historical background).

And unless the European Mazda6 and CX-7 are vastly different than the U.S versions, they are not related to the Mondeo platform either.

All not important in the grand scheme of things, just wanted to set the record straight.

Good luck with your new Edge. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

And to run safely at that speed, other aspects of the vehicle would also need upgrading. It really is not built for those types of sustained speeds.

If someone is trying to do 150MPH in an Edge, I don't think safety is at the top of their concerns list. :D

It probably should be, but I doubt it.

-Mike

• Haha 1

Hello again,

@bbf2530

No relation is either not really true.

CD4 and EUCD (quite the same) are developed with CD3 as base.

It is not exactly the same platform...thats right...but no relation...?

Is your actual Mazda6 another as here in Europe?

Current new Mazda6 and current new Mondeo has the same platform, as far as i know.

The german CX-7 is not vastly different. the chassis has another setup with different suspension, lightly changed engine- and transmission-setup and the limited speed is at a higher level (132mph - 211kph).

Completely new for Europe is the Cx-7 with Diesel-Engine.

@igcitng

Eddie is many things but he is definetly not female :D

We only have a few female cars in Germany...hmmm...whatever...

@MJ5150

you have to realize that we have different traffic here. How just mentioned. 200 and more kph on the left lane is completely normal. No question that you have to drive with the head at any time...not with the feet.

You maybe won't believe that, but we people in Europe or in Germany are not so crazy as you think...mostly...sometimes...here and there...äh...hmm. :D

Greets

Marc

Hello again,

@bbf2530

No relation is either not really true.

CD4 and EUCD (quite the same) are developed with CD3 as base.

It is not exactly the same platform...thats right...but no relation...?

Is your actual Mazda6 another as here in Europe?

Current new Mazda6 and current new Mondeo has the same platform, as far as i know.

The german CX-7 is not vastly different. the chassis has another setup with different suspension, lightly changed engine- and transmission-setup and the limited speed is at a higher level (132mph - 211kph).

Completely new for Europe is the Cx-7 with Diesel-Engine.

@igcitng

Eddie is many things but he is definetly not female :D

We only have a few female cars in Germany...hmmm...whatever...

@MJ5150

you have to realize that we have different traffic here. How just mentioned. 200 and more kph on the left lane is completely normal. No question that you have to drive with the head at any time...not with the feet.

You maybe won't believe that, but we people in Europe or in Germany are not so crazy as you think...mostly...sometimes...here and there...äh...hmm. :D

Greets

Marc

Hi Marc. :D Merry Christmas from the U.S.

As stated earlier and akirby also explained, the Edge/U.S. Fusion platform is not related to the Mondeo.

And as stated earlier, I am not sure at the moment what the relationship is between the European Mazda6 and the U.S. Mazda6. I don't have time to do the research at the moment, so I can not verify the European Mazda6/Mondeo relationship. But it is well known that Japanese automakers often use very different versions of the same vehicle name for the U.S and European versions of their vehicles.

While Ford has announced that the next U.S. version of the Fusion and Mondeo will be platform related (around 2012-2013), the current Edge platform has no relationship to the current (or previous) Mondeo.

This information is easily researched, if you would like further corroboration.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi there,

and thanks for the chritmasgreets, hope you had nice christmas, too.

ok...i will believe that about the different CD-plats. My info was only picked up from www...so maybe not a sure source.

But i guess we can come to an similar opinion about the relation between Mazda6/Cx-7/Fusion (last for sure)

the both current Mazda6 models are definetly not equal but the base of the bodies and interior are looking very similar...so i guess the platform is the same in europe and USA.

I just read that Mazda6 uses "different components" of the current Mondeo...not the same platform.

So you're right. Relation to the Mazda6 is true...Mondeo not, maybe except of some components.

Fact is: Mazda6 and CX-7 are good for 130-140mph and more...so i guess Eddie is, too ...or is someone in here, who wants to change my in a MKX AWD :lol: ...sorry Eddie, only joking. :huh:

Edited by Marccom

• 7 years later...