Transmission fluid leak - at 400 miles???

edgelessee2010

• 1 month later...

Sorry, no it's an 07

My Edge is a 2010 and has 1278 mi...Its been in twice now for the lurching foward thing(not fixed) the first time I took it in for that they said the transmission fluid was down and added 1 qt, saying it "must" have come from the factory like that ,,,,I guess they forgot to check that under the new vechile check list before I drove it off the showroom floor....My car is at the dealer again today, for the engine not engaging after stopping. It lurches and clunks when it does, feels like I got hit from behind! this has happened 4 times since I bought her.

Now that I have read this forum on the transmission oil leaking I'm wondering if mine did too !!! and they just blamed it on the "factory"...I'm worried about the car hitting somthing in front of me, when it lurches forward ! I have read some other posts about this problem with NO RESULTS...Thank God, Oregon has a very effictive lemon law...I love my car but..........................

Edited by Wolfie

My 08 has 10k miles and possibly two seals leaking. Dealer said three weeks to get parts. mad.gif

My wife has the 2009 AWD Ford Edge, and luv's the thing. Other than a driver's door alignment issue (fixed immediately), we've had aboslutely not problems w/ the car. It now has approx. 15,000 miles...no leaks yet.... After reading this, I'll be watching closely.

From reading the previous posts regarding the PTU seal, I was under the impression the PTU seal issue was only on the older Edges...I guess that's not true??? Hopefully, the dealer will fix it with the upgraded seal, and you'll have no more problems.

Good Luck...

My wife has the 2009 AWD Ford Edge, and luv's the thing. Other than a driver's door alignment issue (fixed immediately), we've had aboslutely not problems w/ the car. It now has approx. 15,000 miles...no leaks yet.... After reading this, I'll be watching closely.

From reading the previous posts regarding the PTU seal, I was under the impression the PTU seal issue was only on the older Edges...I guess that's not true??? Hopefully, the dealer will fix it with the upgraded seal, and you'll have no more problems.

Good Luck...

We had our 09 AWD done in January with the upgraded seals and no problem since. It dripped only after driving on the highway in the cold temp. I notice spots on the driveway and sometime the smell at the stop lights. It seems to me the new seals are doing the trick.

I was under the impression the PTU seal issue was only on the older Edges...I guess that's not true???

Hard to tell at this point. The problem only occurs in colder climates. The new repair seems to work for most people but we probably won't know for sure until we go through another winter cycle.

The actual problem has been compounded by service techs not following the exact repair procedure which is extremely complex compared to normal repair tasks.

Edited by akirby

Hard to tell at this point. The problem only occurs in colder climates. The new repair seems to work for most people but we probably won't know for sure until we go through another winter cycle.

The actual problem has been compounded by service techs not following the exact repair procedure which is extremely complex compared to normal repair tasks.

I wondered if this was a cold climate issue but was worried it was a dumb question. How about that. I bought mine last year as winter broke and did not have issues until this past December when it got super cold here.

At the risk of asking a dumb question, are the 2011's designed at all differently or is this something that will follow the next generation of Edge?

My husband bought me a 2010 Ford Edge AWD SEL.... had it 13 days and it was in the shop for the burning smell., the interior was falling apart., transmission not shifting right, would tach up to 7k RPM before it would shift.. That truck was a heap......If you have a good lemon law... USE IT.... DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND GET RID OF THAT AND GET YOURSELF A NISSAN PATHFINDER 2009 OR 2010. I LOVE MINE AND IT WAS CHEAPER THAN THE EDGE.

My EDGE was a nightmare and i live in a state with no lemon law.... Thankfully, I put enough pressure on the dealership, and threatened to go public, so they bought it back. Good Luck .....

]

My Edge is a 2010 and has 1278 mi...Its been in twice now for the lurching foward thing(not fixed) the first time I took it in for that they said the transmission fluid was down and added 1 qt, saying it "must" have come from the factory like that ,,,,I guess they forgot to check that under the new vechile check list before I drove it off the showroom floor....My car is at the dealer again today, for the engine not engaging after stopping. It lurches and clunks when it does, feels like I got hit from behind! this has happened 4 times since I bought her.

Now that I have read this forum on the transmission oil leaking I'm wondering if mine did too !!! and they just blamed it on the "factory"...I'm worried about the car hitting somthing in front of me, when it lurches forward ! I have read some other posts about this problem with NO RESULTS...Thank God, Oregon has a very effictive lemon law...I love my car but..........................

Unfortunately its not just in colder climates, I bought mine in July 2009, and the problem began in August 2009. The downfall here is that FORD will not do a full recall to fix them. They will only issue technical service bulletins. You can check to see if there is a service bulletin on your vehicle at www.nhtsa.gov

Unfortunately its not just in colder climates, I bought mine in July 2009, and the problem began in August 2009. The downfall here is that FORD will not do a full recall to fix them. They will only issue technical service bulletins. You can check to see if there is a service bulletin on your vehicle at www.nhtsa.gov

It's hard for me to believe the problems you having with your Edge. There must be more to the story ... I've had Fords since 97 for our business and that's why we picked Ford for long lasting trouble free operation. Sure there was the breaks, U joints and wear and tear stuff but nothing like this. Our Edge is the same thing. We had the PTU repaired in January and that was the only repair we had.

We love the way the Edge drive and feel on the road. Before we bought the Edge we test drove the 2010 Equinox. It was nice too but did not have the power and pick up like the Edge. Also it felt squished in the front seat. :shades: