Replacing A/C Vent Louvres

I just picked up four 2009 Edge SE A/C vent louvres to switch out the vents in my 2007 Edge SE. The newer ones are a better design for directing air flow and allow you to completely close them off. Does anyone know what the procedure is for removing the old vents/louvres and installing the new ones?

Edited by pbmitch

I just picked up four 2009 Edge SE A/C vent louvres to switch out the vents in my 2007 Edge SE. The newer ones are a better design for directing air flow and allow you to completely close them off. Does anyone know what the procedure is for removing the old vents/louvres and installing the new ones?

Easy to do. With the outer vents there are release tabs, but I found it easier to pop out the louvers with a pliers and collapse the housing. Then they pull straight out. The new ones snap in. The center vents are even easier. The trim piece aroung the radio that holds the vents pulls straight out. There are no screws. May be helpful to pry with a plastic pry. I was able to do it with my fingers, alone. It is easy. If you are nervous about it, check radio install posts for details. The vents screw into the back of trim piece. Lastly, if your SE trims the vents with a different color trim, the trim pops off very easily...but the trim is a bit flimsy...take your time.

great idea, how much were they?

Easy to do. With the outer vents there are release tabs, but I found it easier to pop out the louvers with a pliers and collapse the housing. Then they pull straight out. The new ones snap in. The center vents are even easier. The trim piece aroung the radio that holds the vents pulls straight out. There are no screws. May be helpful to pry with a plastic pry. I was able to do it with my fingers, alone. It is easy. If you are nervous about it, check radio install posts for details. The vents screw into the back of trim piece. Lastly, if your SE trims the vents with a different color trim, the trim pops off very easily...but the trim is a bit flimsy...take your time.

Replaced the four vents per your helpful instructions. Thank you! Worked out fine. I found that for the two outer vents bending the release tabs inward inside the housing after removing the louvers allows for easy removal. What a difference now in the airflow control. I highly suggest '07 and '08 owners to make this switch.

The four vents together with tax totaled $180 purchased/ordered at my local Ford dealer. Each vent had a different price, strangely enough. It's worth it to now have control of air flow. The original vents were worthless.

Would you happen to have the part numbers for the vents? Are they the same vents across all teh trim lines?

Thanks

Replaced the four vents per your helpful instructions. Thank you! Worked out fine. I found that for the two outer vents bending the release tabs inward inside the housing after removing the louvers allows for easy removal. What a difference now in the airflow control. I highly suggest '07 and '08 owners to make this switch.

Glad it worked well for you. Lack of a shut-off really irritated my wife (it is her car). I also like the look of the vertical vanes.

• 1 year later...

post-5957-0-86211100-1314145261_thumb.jpgpost-5957-0-86211100-1314145261_thumb.jpgpost-5957-0-87041900-1314145245_thumb.jpgpost-5957-0-86211100-1314145261_thumb.jpgI agree with ventilation short comings pointed out above, but my main concern with original design is glare that occurs when sun is "just right to be wrong" as pics show. It's hard to believe someone on Edge design team didn't catch this. I like these vents from the SE (least expensive model) better than the "bright" ones from the pricier trim lines. Dash has a subdued classy appearance.

I paid $183 including tax @ dealer, but they're available @ Tasca Ford for about $150 including S&H.

Part #s:

9T4Z-19893-AA: RH Inner

9T4Z-19893-AB: LH Inner

9T4Z-19893-AC: LH Outer

9T4Z-19893-AD: RH Outer

PS: 2/10/2019 - Another consideration to change to black was because they looked much better because the dash was black.?  Wish I'd sent pic of original tan vents.

post-5957-0-86211100-1314145261_thumb.jpg

post-5957-0-10547000-1314145199_thumb.jpg post-5957-0-32143900-1314149781_thumb.jpg post-5957-0-87041900-1314145245_thumb.jpg

Edited by dadrett
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with ventilation short comings pointed out above, but my main concern with original design is glare that occurs when sun is "just right to be wrong" as pics show. It's hard to believe someone on Edge design team didn't catch this. I like these vents from the SE (least expensive model) better than the "bright" ones from the pricier trim lines. Dash has a subdued classy appearance.

I paid $183 including tax @ dealer, but they're available @ Tasca Ford for about $150 including S&H.

Part #s:

9T4Z-19893-AA: RH Inner

9T4Z-19893-AB: LH Inner

9T4Z-19893-AC: LH Outer

9T4Z-19893-AD: RH Outer

post-5957-0-10547000-1314145199_thumb.jpg post-5957-0-32143900-1314149781_thumb.jpg post-5957-0-87041900-1314145245_thumb.jpg post-5957-0-86211100-1314145261_thumb.jpg

Not bad. This is the one thing I hate about our 08'. Guess I'll be junkyard diving soon.

• 1 year later...

I just replaced my two inner vents on my 2008 Edge SEL with the 2009 part numbers above.

On FordParts.com I was able to get the LH Inner for 13.98 and the RH Inner for 31.18,savings of about $5 off the Ford Dealer quoted price.

The outer vents were quoted to me at $49.97 each at the dealer and $66.37 each on FordParts.com, so I skipped them for now

Free shipping to my local Ford Dealer with tax I only paid $56.36 for both and they do actually shut off and afford much greater adjustment in the horizontal plane.

Unfortunately they do not allow any greater vertical adjustment than the old vents did but the ability to divert the air more to the center of the vehicle at least gets it off of your face and arms, and they DO shut off pretty well.

We really love our Edge and the center A/C vents were really our only gripe - now that's much better.

• Like 1

I just replaced my two inner vents on my 2008 Edge SEL with the 2009 part numbers above.

On FordParts.com I was able to get the LH Inner for 13.98 and the RH Inner for 31.18,savings of about $5 off the Ford Dealer quoted price.

The outer vents were quoted to me at $49.97 each at the dealer and $66.37 each on FordParts.com, so I skipped them for now

Free shipping to my local Ford Dealer with tax I only paid $56.36 for both and they do actually shut off and afford much greater adjustment in the horizontal plane.

Unfortunately they do not allow any greater vertical adjustment than the old vents did but the ability to divert the air more to the center of the vehicle at least gets it off of your face and arms, and they DO shut off pretty well.

We really love our Edge and the center A/C vents were really our only gripe - now that's much better.

Jim5506!

Best 15 minute mod I've made so far. My wife complained about the air blowing on her too.

Thanks for the idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys

I can't find any image of this parts - are their nozzles really vertical instead of OEM horizontal? (my Edge is 2008)

Can someone take a picture for me? Can't find their pictures anywhere in internet.

If vertical - does it spoil the dash design? I like it horizontal

And, if I change only center vents (I don't have any complaints about the outer ones) - will it still look fine?

Thanks for the advice!