Nav System upgrades

Navteq offers an upgrade disc (4P) for the nav system. Has anyone purchased one and compared it to DVD-3P --which is the factory installed disc (supplied by Pioneer) If so, is it worth it?

Also, I'm pulling out my hair trying to find what to buy inorder to enable voice command... Pioneer won't talk because they sub-contracted to Ford on this, etc,; and, neither any Ford dealers, nor customer service personnel have any answers. Pioneer does have an voice command activation module but no one can tell me if it will work in this unit. Has anyone explored this? Thanks.

I am a technology dolt....what is 3P and 4P? :wacko:

3P and 4P are version numbers of map DVD's for the Nav system. The original disc, was version 3P and provided by Pioneer --the makers of the system. 4P is the update DVD, offered by Navteq --who made the map software. It sells (from Navteq direct) for $149US.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anybody figured out how to get around the accept or decline screen when it powers up? I hate that! Others that I have had show a warning then go away after a few seconds, this one stays until you acknowledge it. Does the new disc do the same?

Mine came with the 4p disk and the warning screen stays up until you accept. That aspect didn't change. As far as the other question you had, I can't answer that seeing I've only used the 4P disk that came with mine.

• 1 month later...
I don't see voice commands. I think what you are seeing is the adjustments for voice directions. If that is not so, where are you seeing voice commands?

same here.. I could not find voice command settings. I did see in a little quick start guide that came with the Nav system that it has these "if available"

Bryce

same here.. I could not find voice command settings. I did see in a little quick start guide that came with the Nav system that it has these "if available"

Bryce

Voice commands aren't available on this model of Navigation. I think it's being added for 08. I doubt you can retrofit it - I'm sure if it was as easy as just turning on the feature that they would have used it from day one.

I have voice command navigation in my Aviator and I don't think I've used it at all the last 2 years.

I don't see voice commands. I think what you are seeing is the adjustments for voice directions. If that is not so, where are you seeing voice commands?

the list of commands are under the HELP section when you hit the menu hard button. then choose navigation. you should see voice commads....... :doh:

• 2 months later...

Fyi folks . . . Ford Edge version 6P is now available from NavTeq's website. www.navteq.com

FLM Navigation System North America DVD Map Update - version 6P

This DVD map update contains coverage across the continental United States and Canada as well as Alaska and Hawaii. It contains over 6.17 million miles of road and features more than 1.75 million updated points-of-interest including over:

490,500 restaurants

72,700 hotels

103,800 banks

119,100 ATMs

110,200 gas stations

245,600 auto service & maintenance locations

14,900 tourist attractions

This new DVD map update also contains new and expanded detailed coverage in the following cities, counties, metropolitan and rural areas:

Barstow, Placerville, Roseville, San Bernardino, San Diego, Sutter County and Yuba County, CA

Clay County, Clear Creek County, Grand Junction, Pueblo, Gilpin, CO

Lake County, Hernando County and Highlands County, FL

Adams, Bloomington, Champaign County, Coles, Kankakee and Peoria, IL

Shawnee County, KS

Cambridge, Cumberland, Denton, Easton and Salisbury, MD

Calhoun, Jackson County, Midland County and Saginaw, MI

Fayetteville and Onslow County, NC

Cayuga, Lake Placid, Malone and Plattsburgh, NY

Stark County, Trumbull County and Youngstown, OH

Jackson County, OR

Lycoming, Monroe County and Pittsburgh, PA

Brazoria, Gregg County, Houston, Lubbock County and Walker, TX

Northhampton and Powhatan, VA

Yakima, WA

Muskoka, ON

Laurentians, QC

Availability: In stock

Our Price: $ 149.00

• 3 weeks later...
the list of commands are under the HELP section when you hit the menu hard button. then choose navigation. you should see voice commads....... :doh:

I just purchased version 6P of the DVD nav map update. How often are updates put out? Was version 3p the current version back in Feb, 2007 when the Edge was introduced?

• 1 month later...
I just purchased version 6P of the DVD nav map update. How often are updates put out? Was version 3p the current version back in Feb, 2007 when the Edge was introduced?

Has anyone tried to make a working image of the NAV disk? I've seen some posted but none for our region. Just curious.

I find it quite steep in price seeing we already paid a fair price for the system, but now they will release new maps every couple of months and charge us $150 per update.

Has anyone tried to make a working image of the NAV disk? I've seen some posted but none for our region. Just curious.

I find it quite steep in price seeing we already paid a fair price for the system, but now they will release new maps every couple of months and charge us $150 per update.

Yes, I posted about it in another thread. Roads don't change that much, it's the ancillary info on the disk, Men's Club's, Liquor Stores, thing's like that, that change the most.

• 4 weeks later...

$149 is too much for an upgrade--you would think they would give a loyalty break for current users/owners. Bill Gates goes lower than 50% for Microsoft upgrades (he is a little wealthier than most Ford executives because he listens more than Henry did) I wonder if the businesses that have advertised on the newer versions paid premium dollar for postings on those upgraded discs that will probably languish on the parts shelves. I am waiting for Garmin or Magellan to crack the Ford code and peddle reasonably priced upgrades at $29.95 to current users.

$149 is too much for an upgrade--you would think they would give a loyalty break for current users/owners. Bill Gates goes lower than 50% for Microsoft upgrades (he is a little wealthier than most Ford executives because he listens more than Henry did) I wonder if the businesses that have advertised on the newer versions paid premium dollar for postings on those upgraded discs that will probably languish on the parts shelves. I am waiting for Garmin or Magellan to crack the Ford code and peddle reasonably priced upgrades at $29.95 to current users.

Hunt around on ebay - I just got a 6p disc for $70.

• 2 weeks later...
Hunt around on ebay - I just got a 6p disc for $70.

I see no such 6p DVD discs now or sold recently off eBay in completed sales. I see only 2p.

what search terms did you use?

UPDATE: search these terms on eBay to find them more affordably than dealer or navteq: "2008 FORD NAVIGATION 6P"

Edited by Lex Talionis