Problem with door ajar sensor

Did they say whether a replacement (if needed) would be on their dime also?

So for me, on this repair, they covered it. Nothing was said and I didn't ask how we might deal with this if things fail in a year. I would hope that as they have see this either the contacts are covered to keep them clean or they modify the latch assembly. We will wait and see.

Same problem here, cost me 600.00 to get the door ajar light turned off of my 2011 Edge. Warranty had expired, this was at 50k miles. Hoping it doesn't happen again, but have lost a lot of trust/respect in Ford and their products. The entire electrical/sync system seems like a POS to me, wish I felt safer in my vehicle with two little children... And now the AWD is malfunctioning. How surprising........

Well taken care of, btw, up to date on service, not driven in harsh conditions, etc......

Shame on Ford for swindling their customers.

Ā 

My driver's door ajar sensor on my 2011 failed last year under warranty. Now my passenger's side front door is doing the same thing, and I'm at 61K miles. Not looking forward to shelling out upwards of $600 to have that one fixed..

Ā 

My driver's door ajar sensor on my 2011 failed last year under warranty. Now my passenger's side front door is doing the same thing, and I'm at 61K miles. Not looking forward to shelling out upwards of $600 to have that one fixed..

Ā 

Please go look in other posts. There are links to the parts and instructions on how to fix this yourself. I agree Ford sucks, but not worth 600 when you can do it for 50. Did it myself and I am pretty terrible when it comes to fixing anything. Plus, I would hate to reward Ford with any of my money for their incompetence.

Oh my goodness - this is the most exasperating problem, and I am sorry to hear that so many others are having the same issue. I am actually sitting at the Ford dealership as I write this, being gauged for a ridiculous amount of $$. My recommendation to everyone is to file a complaint with Ford, to see if something can hopefully be done about this.

Ā 

I have a 2011 Ford Edge Limited. My first and last Ford based on the # of problems I have had with it. I bought the car with 29K miles on it, and within 2 days the driver door sensor was playing up and constantly saying it was ajar. I took it in to my local dealership and luckily it was covered by the warranty. 2 years later (present) I am having the same problem. Naturally, I am over warranty at 52K miles, and the warranty on the part from 2 years ago is only 12 months. When I arrived at the dealership I had to pay for a $99 non-refundable diagnostic test. 40 mins later I was approached saying they are going to have to completely remove the door panel to get to this part and resolve the problem. Apparently this is "extremely labor intensive" and is going to cost me $580 (please note that this does not include the $99 diagnostic test).

Ā 

This is robbery. No wonder you're a $150 billion company. You overcharge your customers and take no accountability when you build a sub-par product. Ford, you should be ashamed.

Ā 

Good luck to all of you with this door sensor issue, hopefully Ford will take action and do something about this soon!

This is robbery. No wonder you're a $150 billion company. You overcharge your customers

Ā 

First - I think Ford should extend the warranty on these parts. That said you need to understand that Ford dealers are not Ford. Ford has NO CONTROL over what dealers charge for non-warranty repairs and diagnostics. Each dealer is an independent business and Ford is prohibited by law from interfering. If you're being gouged on the repair blame the dealership not Ford. But you can certainly blame Ford for these faulty parts without an extended warranty.

Ā 

You should also take muddro's advice and do it yourself or get an independent mechanic to replace it for you for a LOT less than the dealerships.

• 2 weeks later...

Our 2011 Edge had the door ajar issue this past spring. We took it to one of our local (and trusted) mechanics. He ordered the part and the total bill was

just over $150. He told me that his supplier was stocking up on this particular part as there was in influx of requests, imagine that. If you are going to have the fix done, take

it to a good 3rd party mechanic and get a quote ahead of time as the labour should be somewhere in the area of 1.5 hours (approx)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

For the most part i love my 2011 Ford Edge....my first Ford ever. My door ajar alarm has now failed three times. Twice during warranty, and the third time now after the regular warranty has expired. Generally i am not a cranky old man, but at first my dealership acted like I would be charged for this most recent repair. I said...nicely, it looks to me that it didn't get fixed right the first two times.

Ā 

When this thing starts malfunctioning right off the bat, it's pretty clear that it's a bad design and that Ford should be responsible to take care of this problem indefinately. I told the ser. mgr that i did not think it right for me to pay for this repair, he said "let me see what we can do". I'm taking it in in the few few days, so we will see.

Ā 

I don't think any of us should be forced to fix this ourselves and we should not have to beg or plead for it to get fixed properly. C'mon Ford, step up and do the right thing.

DarrellG

For the most part i love my 2011 Ford Edge....my first Ford ever. My door ajar alarm has now failed three times. Twice during warranty, and the third time now after the regular warranty has expired. Generally i am not a cranky old man, but at first my dealership acted like I would be charged for this most recent repair. I said...nicely, it looks to me that it didn't get fixed right the first two times.

Ā 

When this thing starts malfunctioning right off the bat, it's pretty clear that it's a bad design and that Ford should be responsible to take care of this problem indefinately. I told the ser. mgr that i did not think it right for me to pay for this repair, he said "let me see what we can do". I'm taking it in in the few few days, so we will see.

Ā 

I don't think any of us should be forced to fix this ourselves and we should not have to beg or plead for it to get fixed properly. C'mon Ford, step up and do the right thing.

DarrellG

Understand, the first repair is a "reset and check"....mine got replaced the second time I went in....

They said they cleaned it once and replaced it once. I watched some kid on youtube showing how to fix it with canned air and electronics cleaner. I tried it and it seemed to work. I was elated for about 24 hours, then it started again.

Ā 

I am scheduled to get it replaced tomorrow. They assured me that i would not be charged for the repair.

Edited by DarrellG

• 1 month later...

I too have a 2012 Edge. The door sensor for the driver's door comes on every 3-4 months. I bought it used and with an extended warranty. I have asked the dealer to fix the issue but they just clean and reset the sensor. Now that the car is our of coverage they are refusing to reset the sensor for me. They want to charge me $500 to fix it. I called and complained to Ford and they say there is nothing they can do. Did not acknowledge there is a known issue with the sensor. I was also told that Ford would tell the dealer not to replace it if they can reset it under warranty. Wow I am so glad Ford watches out for its' customers. Not sure if I will be one again! It is too bad because I really like my car, just not Ford or the dealer at this point. I was taken for a ride with the extended warranty and the dealer not watching out for me.

• 2 months later...

Same problem as everyone else. Mine's a 2011 Edge. It was intermittent at first, and now permanent. I have to carry a battery booster with me so that I can jump start the car on a daily basis. It's my wife's car and I can't allow her to drive it. As others have expressed, it's a safety and security issue. If Ford doesn't recall, they will pay (when someone is carjacked, a kid opens the back door at high speed, of when someone backs over a kid because the dome lights blinded them).

Ā 

My question is this. If I go to the expense of replacing the latches (mine's driver's side front AND rear), will the new parts fail too or have they corrected the problem?

Second, as I understand it, the latch for my vehicle (2011 Edge) is part number BT4Z-7821813-B for the front driver's side. Does anyone know the part number for the REAR driver's side door?

Thanks in advance!

Ā 

This was our first Ford. It will likely be our last.

• 2 months later...

Getting ready for a discussion with the service manager. Nice to see from the age of this forum that Ford has done absolutely nothing to resolve this problem in 5 years.

Ā 

Here's my story.

Ā 

Purchased a new 2012 Edge. By December, 2013 we were having the same problem as everyone else. Dealer replaced the latch under warranty. Now 22 months later, the same problem is back. My wife brought the vehicle in to the original dealership. Service techs claimed they'd never heard of such a problem. Wanted to charge her hundreds just for diagnostics. That's when she told them they had already "fixed" the same issue before. She left after getting lots of "let me explain how this works, sweetie" from the techs.

Ā 

Went to a different dealer over the weekend. Service tech immediately knew of the issue and explained how Ford had had to replace so many parts that they turned to the "electric shock" band aid repair. Quoted me $450 to replace the latch again. Told me the replacement part comes with a two year warranty. I asked why I should pay if my part failed within the part warranty. He said Ford won't warranty a warranty replacement. Nice.

Ā 

In my view, charging me for a part that Ford knows is defective is fraud. Ford lists its child safety locks as a safety feature of the vehicle. Locks exist on vehicles for safety - by definition. If they are defective, that is a recall issue, plain and simple.

Ā 

Will never buy another Ford.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had an issue with the door latch sensor on my 2012 Ford Edge SEVERAL times. The first time (under warranty) Ford "blew it out" with air. Of course that didn't work. I took it back in. They replaced the latch (still under warranty). This latch lasted around 2 years before the issue started AGAIN! I took it back in and the service guy said that Ford has determined that replacing the latch is not working, so their "fix" is to shock it. The car was out of warranty by now, so I paid for them to shock it. This lasted 3 months. So here we are again....with this sensor driving me crazy! This is 4th time I have had an issue with this latch/sensor. First of all I do not feel that I should have to pay to try and resolve this issue again. Ford should see that this is a major issue. AND THEY SHOULD FIGURE OUT HOW TO FIX IT!!!!

I have just been hitting the "ok" button on the left of the steering wheel. But this does not allow the doors to automatically lock. I'm beyond mad.

I also have been a ford owner for years! That's all I, my husband, my parents and my siblings drive. I have spoken to Ford Customer Service....NO HELP!

• 5 years later...
On 3/9/2010 at 6:36 PM, securinu said:

it is in the latch mech. common issue with gm but have seen it in dodge and ford as well.

Ā 

Latch Left

Quantity: 1

Ā 

Make: Ford

Model: Edge

Model Year(s): 2007

List Price: $62.38

Your Price: $49.28

Description:

LATCH

Remove from cart | Edit Quantity: Update

Ā 

Ā 

Price: $49.28

Ā 

http://www.partswebsite.com/fordpartswebsite/index.php?i=6&key=0&action=additem&o=6499400&qty=1&optionid_1=0&modelyear=2007&stop=h3sjmydf5zrx5czrzk2ss5hf28&price=49.2802&optionSets=&rmake=123&rmodel=1271&ryear=2007&subcatid=&section=141&sfid=89&type=parts&rpage=0#bottom

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I would have tried first the connector....in my case the connector was the issue, unplugging it several time and a little contact cleaner did the trick...

Ā 

On 3/9/2010 at 1:14 PM, Lex Talionis said:

normally those sensors that trigger those are a plunger/pin sensor on the door. in the case of the Edge, on the inside front most portion of the door (towards the engine) there is a black arm that pushes into the door when closed. I "suspect" that arm actuates the plunger inside the door that works these sensors. That is where I would start. pull the door panel - piece of cake on the Edge - and inspect that area/wiring/etc and see what you can see as a start.

Ā 

That plunger is to hold the door while you open it, nothing there, the sensor is on the latch, but most of the time is not the sensor, is the connector on the door to the car...they charge you an arm and a leg to replace those unless under warranty....

Edited by Kanatronic
  • Like 1