When did this happen

ablb

bigger is out and smaller is in. Now is a good time to be a midget. I dunno, thats crazy that they made the filter smaller.

ahh.. depends on the need I say

for example, in my FJ40 with a small block 350 crate motor, I run a larger filter as that means I can fit in more oil and that means the cycle of oil takes longer and that helps keep things cooler as the oil takes longer to get back around as more of it. So, I think it just depends on the need. If you were doing a lot of towing, I would consider a larger filter for example.

nevertheless, that is odd to see same part # and all.. hmm

as I love conspiracy I say they made them smaller to increase wear and thus, cause you to have to need more maintenance :shades:

Edited by Lex Talionis

They have been making the filters smaller for about a year now. They say it is for easier installation and removal but also did it so they could save on shipping, the smaller filter size will result in the pallet quantity being increased by one layer or 120 pieces. There are no changes to the performance attributes of the oil filter.

• Like 1

They have been making the filters smaller for about a year now. They say it is for easier installation and removal but also did it so they could save on shipping, the smaller filter size will result in the pallet quantity being increased by one layer or 120 pieces. There are no changes to the performance attributes of the oil filter.

There's going to be less filter media inside. I noticed this too when I did the first oil change, the factory un-numbered filter was taller than the example I bought at Ford. I thought maybe it was to keep the filter out of harms way for a Edge equipped with a engine oil cooler.

There's going to be less filter media inside. I noticed this too when I did the first oil change, the factory un-numbered filter was taller than the example I bought at Ford. I thought maybe it was to keep the filter out of harms way for a Edge equipped with a engine oil cooler.

Motorcraft added one more fold to the media to increase the filtering media surface over the old design. That means more filtration for the same filter.

• Like 1

Is the Motorcraft FL-500S oil filters used on the 2010 and presumably 2011 Edge larger or smaller than the new FL-400?

The measured FL-500S filter dimensions are roughly, 4"L x 3"W x 9.5"Diameter

As soon as a FL-500S aftermarket replacement becomes available I will be using Amsoil Ea Synthetic Nanofiber Oil Filters.

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eao.aspx [i have no financial interest in Amsoil.]

Edited by Tribby2001

Motorcraft added one more fold to the media to increase the filtering media surface over the old design. That means more filtration for the same filter.

I would love to know where you get your information from

• 4 weeks later...

I guess the Edge will still take 5 and half quarts for oil change and the newer filter?

It was a French Canadian thing ----multiply by 9/5 and add 32.

I will guess that since so many of the applications can use the smaller filter can, there were economies of scale (lower material cost) to revise the FL-400 size.

BTW, the FL-1, FL-300 and FL-400 interchange (from a fit standpoint) if there is clearance. I bought some FL-300's on clearance from WallyWorld.

It was a French Canadian thing ----multiply by 9/5 and add 32.

I will guess that since so many of the applications can use the smaller filter can, there were economies of scale (lower material cost) to revise the FL-400 size.

BTW, the FL-1, FL-300 and FL-400 interchange (from a fit standpoint) if there is clearance. I bought some FL-300's on clearance from WallyWorld.

I went to buy an FL-1 for my old Chrysler & that one has been shrunk also. From what I saw on the shelves, it appears this is an across the board change.