Battery Problems...

My battery in my 2008 Limited has died approximately 8 times in the last two months. I brought the car with me to Europe, and it was adapted in order to fit the lighting descriptions, etc.

My problem is I don't know where to start with testing it to figure out where it was screwed up. Any suggestions? Please help... my wife is ready to set fire to the car, and I love it...

Try using a 12 volt test lamp (with the sharp probe) in series with either battery cable a light will mean a current draw,no light all clear,you can leave it on and disconnect things to make the light go out and find the problem,you can also use a multi meter set on low amps or more sensitive volts,good luck Marty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Ive read there are a couple of reasons a battety shorts internally.

One is the plates develope crystals. When they grow large enough, they can bridge from one plate to another, shorting the cell.

The other (and more common) is the lead plates breakdown over time, shedding small particles of lead to build up at the bottom of the battery. When it gets deep enought, this layer of lead sulphate reaches one the bottom of the plates, shorting them out.

There are several videos on YouTube showing how to dump out the water-acid solution, flush out the battery and neutralize it with baking soda, then refill with acid or vinigar. Works! (But for how long)?