New Rear Shocks?

The local dealer stated new rear shocks are need at the 30K service yesterday. A 2007 with 30K and new rear shocks? They said the shocks are sweating and I have never heard the term. They are not covered under warranty either.

If need be, has anyone changed rear shocks on their Edge yet? If so, I see the bottom is very easy but without a service manual I can't tell where the top gets removed. Either from inside by removing the panel or from the outside by removing the inner rear wheel well?

Thanks for sharing any thoughts or experience on this.

Edited by HIEDGE

The local dealer stated new rear shocks are need at the 30K service yesterday. A 2007 with 30K and new rear shocks? They said the shocks are sweating and I have never heard the term. They are not covered under warranty either.

If need be, has anyone changed rear shocks on their Edge yet? If so, I see the bottom is very easy but without a service manual I can't tell where the top gets removed. Either from inside by removing the panel or from the outside by removing the inner rear wheel well?

Doesn't sound right to me. If they're leaking oil then they should be replaced but that wouldn't normally be described as "sweating". It's possible at 30K if you have really bad roads but I'd get a second opinion.

Doesn't sound right to me. If they're leaking oil then they should be replaced but that wouldn't normally be described as "sweating". It's possible at 30K if you have really bad roads but I'd get a second opinion.

Thanks for your reply. There is no leaking oil from the outside and not sure if they were able to see something different when on the rack and up in the air looking up. The sweating I saw was just some stains on the outside of the shock upper portion. I'll try to get a second opinion from a shop that specializes in suspension. Sometimes these dealers just try to make some money. The roads in Hawaii are not great but none of my other vehicle that are way older with much more miles have ever had issues with shocks.

If anyone has a factory service manual, all I am trying to find out is where the access (inside the cargo area behind the panels or outside via the inner fender wells) is for the top of the rear shocks. Thanks in advance. I can't find a aftermarket repair manuals and might have to end up buying the factory manual from the dealership or online.

• 8 months later...

I'm interested in this also. I have 51K on my 09 and will be replacing the rear ones soon.

I just finished the wife's 02 Mercury Grand Marquis. The fronts were easy. The rear ones were another story.

I had to make access through the forward part of the trunk and use an impact wrench to remove the old ones. fan.gif

An air compressor, impact wrench and metal cutting wheel were required. Had to purchase a 1 1/4 wrench from a pawn shop. stats.gif

Even a small leak of oil from a shock is no reason to replace the part!

The best way to tell if a shock needs replacement is to stand outside the vehicle while someone drives it over a bump. If the wheel's movement is dampened in one cycle it is good to go.

Currently there are no performance shocks offered for the Edge. A mono-tube shock from Bilstein or KYB would be nice but talks with company reps show no interest in providing performance parts for our vehicle. Perhaps the 2011 rear shocks will provide a superior substitute but I just don't know.

Edited by Feirstein

EDIT - Never mind, just noticed that the original post was made back in June 2010. I will leave the Warranty information in case it can help someone else with a similar question.

Just as an FYI: In the U.S. (not sure where anyone is located) struts and shocks are covered items under the Ford New Car Bumper to Bumper Warranty.

Now, under the Ford ESP Plan (Extended Service Plan), it is a different story. Struts are still covered, but shocks are not covered items.

Additionally, Warranty covered or not, before anyone spends money to have shocks/struts replaced, I would get a second opinion from another mechanic you trust.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I found the top of the rear shocks while installing trailer wiring. happy%20feet.gif

Removal of the side panels in the cargo area reveals the tops of the shocks.

For some reason they are double nutted. This is the first time I have seen a factory installation like this.

Oh well thanks for all the mechanical geniuses who contributed to the question.stats.gif

I found the top of the rear shocks while installing trailer wiring. happy%20feet.gif

Removal of the side panels in the cargo area reveals the tops of the shocks.

For some reason they are double nutted. This is the first time I have seen a factory installation like this.

Oh well thanks for all the mechanical geniuses who contributed to the question.stats.gif

Hay thanks mechanical genius. :shades:

Ive been waiting on someone to DIY this.

Im going to change ours later this summer, we have 46K miles and they are noticeably wearing out.

WE DO live on a gravel rd every summer.

What shock did you (are you going to) use?

Monroe are not my favorite.

I've had good luck with KYB and Bilstein.

Thanks

ab

Edited by ablb

• 4 weeks later...

I found the rear shock answer when I installed a trailer wiring harness.

The top of the rear shocks is accessed from behind the cargo area trim panels.

The panels do not have to be completely removed, i.e. rear seat belt attachment.

The cargo net attachments need to be removed, then pop the panels loose, then the top of the shock is accessible. happy%20feet.gif

www.rockauto.com has great prices on shocks. Replacing shocks that soon is ridiculous IMHO. I would stick with the stock motorcraft shocks as these are tuned to the spring rates of the stock springs. Another tip for those who want to lower your edge about 3/4" is to remove the spring isolators. These are the stiff rubber pieces that the springs sit on. May make ride a little stiffer.

• 2 years later...

Even a small leak of oil from a shock is no reason to replace the part!

The best way to tell if a shock needs replacement is to stand outside the vehicle while someone drives it over a bump. If the wheel's movement is dampened in one cycle it is good to go.

Currently there are no performance shocks offered for the Edge. A mono-tube shock from Bilstein or KYB would be nice but talks with company reps show no interest in providing performance parts for our vehicle. Perhaps the 2011 rear shocks will provide a superior substitute but I just don't know.

I was looking for where the upper mounts are located and found this post. I am going to correct this because I know that other new members who have minimal mechanical knowledge and skills come here looking for help.

Mr. Feirstein, you are WRONG. If a shock or strut is leaking fluid, it is DONE FOR. Period. Leaking fluid means the seal(s) are worn (high mileage) or damaged (multiple reasons). They do not repair themselves, and the fluid does mot magically regenerate. As the fluid leaks, the shock/strut loses it's ability to do it's job up to the point where it has lost enough fluid to where it is useless.

Now, finding a small amount of fluid leaking down the shock does not mean one should park the car immediately. But the bottom line is if you see fluid leaking from s strut/shock you need to replace as soon as possible.

And you should replace in pairs as well.

Shocks start to lose fluid past the bushing from the day they are put into use. A small amount of fluid discovered past the bushing is no cause for alarm. On the other hand, if the shock is making noise, or no longer dampens the motion of the wheel and tire, it is time for a quality replacement. Ford offers a specific shock for each of the tire combinations it offers. No mono-tube shock such as the Bilstein is offered for the Edge. At 140,000 miles my shocks and struts are still going strong.

Spraying oil outside a shock is a traditional form of deception used by dishonest service stations.