Add Navigation to Edge

bac2010

Hi,

My wife and I are looking at 2011 Edge Limiteds and will either order or buy one that is available. I noticed a few listed on inventories that have most of the options we want but no navigation. Is this a matter of just purchasing and using the SD card or is there a software upgrade that has to be applied by the dealer? Would it be better to have installed from the factory?

On the installed class II hitches, one dealer thought it might include a transmission cooler but I only saw a larger radiator and additional cooling fans. Anyone notice a transmission cooler with their hitch?

Thanks.

Hi,

My wife and I are looking at 2011 Edge Limiteds and will either order or buy one that is available. I noticed a few listed on inventories that have most of the options we want but no navigation. Is this a matter of just purchasing and using the SD card or is there a software upgrade that has to be applied by the dealer? Would it be better to have installed from the factory?

On the installed class II hitches, one dealer thought it might include a transmission cooler but I only saw a larger radiator and additional cooling fans. Anyone notice a transmission cooler with their hitch?

Thanks.

You may be able to add Nav later....

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2367161,00.asp

Which is fortunate - otherwise any new Edge or MKX would be a target for theives that simply need to grab an SD card for free navigation.

The car has to come with nav from the factory. I asked the dealer that specific question or I would have bought a car from the lot. Instead I had to order one with nav. 795

Not exactly. It has to have MyTouch and then you can add the Nav feature with the SD card.

Not what I was told and I asked 2 salesmen. The car had My ford Touch and Sync but no Nav. I asked if f they could just get an SD card. they said no, it had to have Nav activated from the factory. Could be more salesmen not knowing what they are talking about, I have experienced many of them in the last few months with both my wife and myself looking for a car.

Can anybody direct me to anything official that says nav can be added at any time if the Edge has My Ford Touch? I would like to throw it back at the salesman. I could be driving my Edge by now but have to wait about 6 more weeks.

I can provide you the Canadian part number on Wednesday when I go back to the dealer if you want. If you are in the US, I am not sure if the part numbers are the same though.

Can anybody direct me to anything official that says nav can be added at any time if the Edge has My Ford Touch? I would like to throw it back at the salesman. I could be driving my Edge by now but have to wait about 6 more weeks.

If you buy "Nav" from the factory then you're actually buying the SD card to go along with MyTouch. That's the whole point of MyTouch and the SD card. Your salesmen are wrong.

Here is a third party website quote that backs that up (besides the fact that it makes sense and what the salesmen said doesn't)

A Sync system with MyFord Touch turns into a full-blown turn-by-turn navigation system with the insertion of an optional SD card equipped with maps, routing algorithm, and POI database. Maps appear on the MyFord Touch’s 8-inch touchscreen, Voice guidance is provided as well. The Navigation card will be priced at less than $1,000, the company said.
Edited by akirby

Thanks for all the replies. We have decided on what we want for options which definitely includes navigation and once we (my wife actually) decides on a color, we will look at inventories and go from there. We will either buy or order within the next two weeks. I talked with one dealer on Saturday and he said Ford would prefer more orders and less inventory. He said Ford is being very strict and wants dealers to maintain inventory based on their "floorplan". Otherwise he would prefer to have a fleet of new Edges on the lot.

Hi guys,

The part number for the NAV option is BT4T19H449AE. I got the chance to look it up on a Canadian car and noticed it was the same as for the US.

I'm still waiting for my MKX to arrive (expected early Nov. - man that seems like a long time!) but I purchased the NAV SD card from a guy on ebay who was using it on a Ford. I'm pretty confident there will be no compatibility issue (Canada/US or Ford/Lincoln for that matter). Moreover, from what I saw on the SD card, it also has french and spanish languages + Canada/US maps.

One thing seemed odd to me though... my salesman mentionned I had to take the THX option to be able to have the NAV. I have a very serious doubt but decided to take the THX anyway (I was quite blown away by the sound!!). I know that from the "Build and Price" option on the web, as soon as you checked the NAV option (700$), it automatically added the THX (1000$), but it doesn't necessarily mean that NAV won't work without it...

Hope this helps. I'll keep you posted when I found out more.

Hi guys,

The part number for the NAV option is BT4T19H449AE. I got the chance to look it up on a Canadian car and noticed it was the same as for the US.

I'm still waiting for my MKX to arrive (expected early Nov. - man that seems like a long time!) but I purchased the NAV SD card from a guy on ebay who was using it on a Ford. I'm pretty confident there will be no compatibility issue (Canada/US or Ford/Lincoln for that matter). Moreover, from what I saw on the SD card, it also has french and spanish languages + Canada/US maps.

One thing seemed odd to me though... my salesman mentionned I had to take the THX option to be able to have the NAV. I have a very serious doubt but decided to take the THX anyway (I was quite blown away by the sound!!). I know that from the "Build and Price" option on the web, as soon as you checked the NAV option (700$), it automatically added the THX (1000$), but it doesn't necessarily mean that NAV won't work without it...

from what i get out of this if you don't get the sd card you will still have voice turn by turn directions just not tave the 3D map is that correct

Sounds great until you miss a turn, then it has to use your phone to call back up and get revised directions, which then have to be redownloaded to the car. By then you're already really lost. Better hope you don't make a wrong turn while you're talking on the phone or in an area with no phone service or if your phone battery is dead.

I checked on this with my dealer yesterday. The part above is a replacement card, $220 usd. At this time you must order nav from factory. My salesman eventually found in his training docs that an upgrade option will be offered in the future. What future means was not quantified.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

You are correct. The SD card is BT4T-19H449-AE. There is also a BT4T-19H449-BE which includes maps of Mexico. These cards are compatible between Ford and Lincoln and models. The SD card for Edge or MKX can be used on the 2011 Explorer with MyFord or the coming 2012 Focus.

You may be able to add Nav later....

http://www.pcmag.com...,2367161,00.asp

Uhhhh... how?

The article specifically sez:

Buy Two Fords and One Navigation Card? Nice Try (It Won't Work)

If you visions of being a two- or three-Ford family and moving one SD card among multiple cars, that apparently is a non-starter.

"The SD cards are not locked to individual VINs, so technically it is possible to switch from MyFord Touch-equipped vehicle to vehicle," said Ford spokesman Alan Hall. "But, the navigation capability will only work if that vehicle was originally ordered with the navigation option, and therefore received a SD card upon purchase." In other words, you could use a the SD card from your MyFord Touch car in your MyLincoln Touch car only if you order both cars with the navigation option.

There is a lot of confusion on this topic. I called Ford's customer tech support 800 392-3673 and I trust it is the definitive answer. According to their tech support people, "MyTouch is not upgradable at the dealership level." So as of now one can not buy a 2011 Edge or MKX and add the navigation later. Seems like a mistake in the design but it is what it is...at least for now.