Ask A Professional Detailer?

Actually, today's paint is rather fragile as they are all water based now due to environmental reasons. Water based paints are very much softer than the old oil based paints and are way more susceptible to rock chips.

Soft is still a relative term. The paint isn't going to flake off like tissue paper if you touch it.

Soft is still a relative term. The paint isn't going to flake off like tissue paper if you touch it.

Umm, well of course it's not going to flake off if you touch it. huh.gif

But today's paints are MUCH softer today than they were one decade ago, two decades ago, etc. Today's softer paints mean that it's MUCH easier to incur rock chips. That's why so many car owners get a clear bra installed on their vehicle.

^ Yep, that bad boy is definitely etched into your paint. Unfortunately it's rather common when left on your paint for too long. Adam, if you are able to pick up an OTC product like ScratchX you should be able to remove it. Btw, did you have any paint protection applied?

Nope, no paint protection purchased. Don't really believe in all that extra dealer-added stuff.

The bird splat was only on there for maybe 12 hours max in temps not exceeding 10*C. Oh, and I didn't actually hand wash the car - just sprayed it at the car wash. If anything that picture highlights the sad state of my spray wash skills. Besides, wouldn't the existing film of dust, road grim and dirt act as a protective shield? lol

I don't have the proper facilities at my building to do a proper wash and I would NEVER use the foam brush at the carwash. I was more concerned about the scratch but now a week later new dust has obscured the paint so you can't even notice it.

Wouldn't doing a proper hand wash then using a diminishing abrasive product like Zaino (PC?) return the hood to better-than-new?

Umm, well of course it's not going to flake off if you touch it. huh.gif

But today's paints are MUCH softer today than they were one decade ago, two decades ago, etc. Today's softer paints mean that it's MUCH easier to incur rock chips. That's why so many car owners get a clear bra installed on their vehicle.

I agree the newer paint is more susceptible to rock chips on the front edges - I was really saying there's no need to cover the doors, quarter panels, etc. because they're not likely to get rock chips.

After washing the car today, few tiny rust specs (most likely contaminates) appears on the lower part of the car. A clay bar application will take them out for sure but I don't feel like doing one for just a few specs. Is there any other way to take the few out till next clay bar time ? Rubbing Compound ?

After washing the car today, few tiny rust specs (most likely contaminates) appears on the lower part of the car. A clay bar application will take them out for sure but I don't feel like doing one for just a few specs. Is there any other way to take the few out till next clay bar time ? Rubbing Compound ?

If they are rust spots or fallout, a product called IronX will do it beautifully. You can get it at Autogeek (for Americans) or EShine (for Canadians).

I agree the newer paint is more susceptible to rock chips on the front edges - I was really saying there's no need to cover the doors, quarter panels, etc. because they're not likely to get rock chips.

Hi akirby,

You are right, no damage likely from rock chips, but I have seen several photos of examples were the PPF has protected the car from key scratches (from vandals) or even minor run ins with wayward grocery carts or even the occasional dings from careless people opening their car door and dinging the car next to it. There was even a photo of a bumper that collided with a pole, the bumper was severely marred by the paint from the pole, but when the PPF was removed there was no damage visible on the bumper.

~Sac AZN

Hi akirby,

You are right, no damage likely from rock chips, but I have seen several photos of examples were the PPF has protected the car from key scratches (from vandals) or even minor run ins with wayward grocery carts or even the occasional dings from careless people opening their car door and dinging the car next to it. There was even a photo of a bumper that collided with a pole, the bumper was severely marred by the paint from the pole, but when the PPF was removed there was no damage visible on the bumper.

~Sac AZN

Did you happen to see a recent Mythbusters episode where they sprayed a car with that bedliner protectant? It did a real good job of protecting the car's body.

:doh:

Thanks to CanuckG35 and all the other people here,

I just pulled the trigger on my first purchase of some REAL cleaning products for my car! I was initially reluctant to make the purchase because I have never spent so much on cleaning products for my car before (my shopping cart was worth just north of $200, which I guess is just "entry level for the pros!), anyway what helped push me over the edge (excuse the pun) and make the purchase was Detailed Image has a sale going on. If you use coupon code "Early25" by midnight (EST) on 11/7/11 you can get 25% off of your entire purchase (no minimum required)! Sorry for the late post on this, but I just made it myself last night,

But fret not, for those that still need to buy stuff from Detailed Image, their sale continues until tomorrow (but at less of a discount). Use code "Early20" for 20% off your purchase until midnight tonight or "Early15" for 15% off for purchases on 11/9/11 up till midnight (EST).

Shipping is free and I am expecting my package by next week Tuesday. I am looking forward in putting that deep, glossy, "wet" shine on my Edge's finish!

Thanks all!

~Sac AZN

Thanks to CanuckG35 and all the other people here,

I just pulled the trigger on my first purchase of some REAL cleaning products for my car! I was initially reluctant to make the purchase because I have never spent so much on cleaning products for my car before (my shopping cart was worth just north of $200, which I guess is just "entry level for the pros!), anyway what helped push me over the edge (excuse the pun) and make the purchase was Detailed Image has a sale going on. If you use coupon code "Early25" by midnight (EST) on 11/7/11 you can get 25% off of your entire purchase (no minimum required)! Sorry for the late post on this, but I just made it myself last night,

But fret not, for those that still need to buy stuff from Detailed Image, their sale continues until tomorrow (but at less of a discount). Use code "Early20" for 20% off your purchase until midnight tonight or "Early15" for 15% off for purchases on 11/9/11 up till midnight (EST).

Shipping is free and I am expecting my package by next week Tuesday. I am looking forward in putting that deep, glossy, "wet" shine on my Edge's finish!

Thanks all!

~Sac AZN

That's awesome Sac! What did you end up purchasing from DI? Btw, George whom is the owner of DI, is absolutely fantastic to deal with. I used to get all of my supplies from him until he stopped shipping to Canada.

That's awesome Sac! What did you end up purchasing from DI? Btw, George whom is the owner of DI, is absolutely fantastic to deal with. I used to get all of my supplies from him until he stopped shipping to Canada.

Now why in the world would he stop shipping to Canada?

Here is the list of goodies I bought:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Quantity Total Cost

303 Aerospace Protectant - 16 oz 1 $9.74

Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II - 128 oz 1 $19.49

Chemical Guys Microfiber Wash Cleaning Deterg - 16 oz 1 $6.74

DI Accessories Sheepskin Wash Mitt 1 $7.49

DI Accessories Trigger Spray Bottle - 22 oz 1 $3.74

DI Microfiber Ultra Plush Two Sided Towel - 16" x 16" 4 $17.97

Grit Guard Grit Guard Insert - BLUE 1 $7.49

Lake Country Blue Grout Sponge 1 $4.49

Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant - 16 oz 1 $22.49

Poorboy's World Bold 'n Bright Tire Gel - 16 oz 1 $9.74

Poorboy's World Natty's Red Paste Wax - 8 oz 1 $14.99

Poorboy's World Spray & Wipe (S&W) - 128 oz 1 $24.74

Stoner Invisible Glass - 19 oz 1 $4.49

Subtotal: $153.60

Shipping: $0.00

Tax: $0.00

Total: $153.60

----------------------------------------------------------------

Mind you, these prices reflect the 25% off from DI's coupon code.

Now to wait for the right weekend with the right temperature to detail my Edge!

~Sac

~Sac

Good haul!!

~Sac

Well done, that's a great list of products! rockon.gif

Canuck,

My package of goodies just arrived from DI yesterday and I wanted to wash my MF towels with the solution I bought for them, but then it dawned on me... How do I use it? Do I just add the solution into the detergent section of my washer alone or with detergent too? Or maybe I add the MF cleaning solution to the pre-wash section? What do you suggest/

Thanks!

~Sac

Can I get some information on the difference between Optimum Opti™ Clean and the Optimum No-Rinse?

Not sure which I should buy.

Optimum No Rinse is a rinseless car wash product. It's perfect for those that live in apartments without access to a hose, wintertime washing, etc. You typically mix 1 oz into 1-2 oz of water in a bucket when washing your vehicle. It can also be used as a clay bar lubricant or as a quick detailer (1 oz ONR with 16 oz of water). It's definitely one of my favourite detailing products!!

Optimum Opti-Clean is a waterless wash product and is typically used to remove light dirt, dust, pollen, bird bombs, etc from your paint. It's a great quick detailer and has the necessary lubricants in it so that it will not harm your paint surface. My vehicles always have a waterless wash product and a couple of MF towels in the trunk.

Edited by CanuckG35

Canuck,

My package of goodies just arrived from DI yesterday and I wanted to wash my MF towels with the solution I bought for them, but then it dawned on me... How do I use it? Do I just add the solution into the detergent section of my washer alone or with detergent too? Or maybe I add the MF cleaning solution to the pre-wash section? What do you suggest/

Thanks!

~Sac

Hey Sac, just put 1 oz of your CG detergent in the detergent section of your washer and you are good to go. If you have a large load of MF towels (which you probably won't have) use 2 oz of your CG detergent. Use warm/hot water and make sure you don't use a fabric softener.

• 3 weeks later...

We finally picked up our new Edge Weds night - loving it so far! It's so pretty and new and sparkly...and I want to keep it that way! B)

Unfortunately, keeping up with this kind of thing hasn't been my strength in the past - but I've learned a lot on this board and am aiming higher this time.

So, keeping in mind my noob-ness in this area, wanted to get some feedback on what I'm planning on doing and hopefully a few answers to my questions. Started by breaking down the different surfaces I want to keep up and then figuring out what product to use on each based on what I've learned throughout this thread. I've got a lot of questions...but I don't want to ruin any of the surfaces before I make the first payment. :wacko:

1. Interior-wise, I'll use Aerospace 303 (leather, plastics, dash, steering wheel). Is there anything I should be careful NOT to get A303 on?

2. Thought I saw on Detailed Image that this (A303) can also be used on headlights. Will this offer a little bit of protection there?

3. I picked up some Stoner Invisible Glass wipes for glass. I guess I don't have a question here - may be the only spot! :)

4. Tires and Chrome Clad wheels. If I remember correctly, P21S is one recommended here for tires and wheels/chrome clad? Would Aerospace 303 work as well or is that pushing it for A303? I assume neither of these will give the nice shiny black new look to the tires? Hmm don't think I've picked out a protectant for the chrome clad. Suggestions? Will also go back through this thread to see what is recommended.

5. Paint...this is the complicated one because of the time commitment. I have a hard time finding the time to do the multiple steps involved in doing a really good job cleaning and protecting the paint job. And now it's turned cold and freezy here. Yay. <_< SO, I figure some no rinse product is in store for me. I picked up some Griots Waterless Car Wash to reach a cart total on my floor mat order. So I've got that on hand but I get the impression that the ONR stuff is really good too. Is there a difference between the two? Does the ONR give somewhat of a protective factor as well? I see that you can use ONR for claybar lubricant and don't see that mentioned with respect to the Griots so it makes me wonder if it's a more versatile product and worth having on hand along with the Griots.

6. Sealants. I'm thinking I'll wash with the No Rinse stuff and am planning on either clay barring or Iron-X-ing next because I'd like to put on some CQuartz. For the average person, will NOT clay barring or using Iron-X be a major issue? I'm a little nervous about either - I don't want to do more damage than good. I'm assuming improper use of clay bar would cause scratching and I see that there are some surfaces you don't want to get the Iron-X on. Not to mention the time. I'm slow at all this because I'm just learning. I know they say to polish to highest standard on the Cquartz website. I guess what I want to know is, if I give it a good cleaning and possibly clay bar and then put on Cquartz, am I going to do any damage that can't be undone by a decent detailer? :blush: I would like to progress in my skill at taking care of my own car over time and eventually do all the steps properly, but want to add some protection now while I'm learning. Also, I see in the description that CQ can be used on glass, leather, plastic, wheels, etc. Could it be used on the Chrome Clad wheels as a protectant? Also, what's best on the plastic molding on the bottom of the body? I'm sure that's on here somewhere but I'm not remembering now...

Sheesh! That's probably enough question for now. I may be being a little anal, but you guys have impressed upon me the ease at which paint surfaces can be destroyed - or at least marred! I'm sure that can happen as quickly from ignorance as it can through neglect.

Thanks for any help! (I'm also trying to minimize cost a bit by using items for multiple areas - after the cost of the Edge, good floor mats, cargo mat, rear bumper protection, screen protector, bug/wind shields, some sort of dog proofing...costs are adding up and I'm starting to get the look. <_< )

:)

Number 1, Congrats on your new ride!! Since it's new, hopefully the paint is pretty close to pristine and that will save you a lot of headache and heartache. Here goes with your questions...

We finally picked up our new Edge Weds night - loving it so far! It's so pretty and new and sparkly...and I want to keep it that way! B)

Unfortunately, keeping up with this kind of thing hasn't been my strength in the past - but I've learned a lot on this board and am aiming higher this time.

Based on the products you've researched and mentioned, I'd say you've graduated already!!

So, keeping in mind my noob-ness in this area, wanted to get some feedback on what I'm planning on doing and hopefully a few answers to my questions. Started by breaking down the different surfaces I want to keep up and then figuring out what product to use on each based on what I've learned throughout this thread. I've got a lot of questions...but I don't want to ruin any of the surfaces before I make the first payment. :wacko:

1. Interior-wise, I'll use Aerospace 303 (leather, plastics, dash, steering wheel). Is there anything I should be careful NOT to get A303 on?

Not on glass, not on fabric. It can actually be used on paint, believe it or not, although there are much better alternatives.

2. Thought I saw on Detailed Image that this (A303) can also be used on headlights. Will this offer a little bit of protection there?

Don't bother. Use the CQ, it will give you much better and longer lasting protection.

3. I picked up some Stoner Invisible Glass wipes for glass. I guess I don't have a question here - may be the only spot! :)

Stoner makes a good glass cleaner!

4. Tires and Chrome Clad wheels. If I remember correctly, P21S is one recommended here for tires and wheels/chrome clad? Would Aerospace 303 work as well or is that pushing it for A303? I assume neither of these will give the nice shiny black new look to the tires? Hmm don't think I've picked out a protectant for the chrome clad. Suggestions? Will also go back through this thread to see what is recommended.

If you are asking about cleaning the tires and wheels, I posted a cool brush that is nice for the tight spaces on the chrome wheels on the Lincoln. I recommend Zep Citrus at 4:1 (4 parts water:1 part ZC) for cleaning the wheels. Get a soft brush and work it gently and rinse. Zep Purple at 4:1 is great for tires. It really pulls the brown gunk out. Zep is available at Home Depot in Canada and the US as well as lowes I believe. To protect the chrome, once again, use CQ.

5. Paint...this is the complicated one because of the time commitment. I have a hard time finding the time to do the multiple steps involved in doing a really good job cleaning and protecting the paint job. And now it's turned cold and freezy here. Yay. dry.gif SO, I figure some no rinse product is in store for me. I picked up some Griots Waterless Car Wash to reach a cart total on my floor mat order. So I've got that on hand but I get the impression that the ONR stuff is really good too. Is there a difference between the two? Does the ONR give somewhat of a protective factor as well? I see that you can use ONR for claybar lubricant and don't see that mentioned with respect to the Griots so it makes me wonder if it's a more versatile product and worth having on hand along with the Griots.

ONR is a life saver in the winter although you don't want to do it if the car is filthy. Take it to a coin op place and rinse it with straight water and then drive it home and do the ONR. Or wash in your garage if you have runnign water and squeegee the water out (that's what I do). ONR rocks. Never used the GG version. Never will. ONR rocks. There are lots of good videos on YouTube showing how to use ONR as well.

6. Sealants. I'm thinking I'll wash with the No Rinse stuff and am planning on either clay barring or Iron-X-ing next because I'd like to put on some CQuartz. For the average person, will NOT clay barring or using Iron-X be a major issue? I'm a little nervous about either - I don't want to do more damage than good. I'm assuming improper use of clay bar would cause scratching and I see that there are some surfaces you don't want to get the Iron-X on. Not to mention the time. I'm slow at all this because I'm just learning. I know they say to polish to highest standard on the Cquartz website. I guess what I want to know is, if I give it a good cleaning and possibly clay bar and then put on Cquartz, am I going to do any damage that can't be undone by a decent detailer? :blush: I would like to progress in my skill at taking care of my own car over time and eventually do all the steps properly, but want to add some protection now while I'm learning. Also, I see in the description that CQ can be used on glass, leather, plastic, wheels, etc. Could it be used on the Chrome Clad wheels as a protectant? Also, what's best on the plastic molding on the bottom of the body? I'm sure that's on here somewhere but I'm not remembering now...

IronX just won a bunch of awards for basically being the most kick-ass detailing product for this year. Do not be afraid of it. You just have to rinse it off after, that's all. what colour is your Edge? It turns purple when it interacts with metal, so that shows on the lighter colours. Do it on the wheels for sure (removes brake dust) as well as the body. Lots of contaminents in the air on brand new vehicles even. I would do the IronX stage first and then rinse and wash and dry the paint. Put your hand in a baggie and gently rub over the paint. Is it smooth or grabby? If it's grabby, you could/should clay. You do run the risk of marring if you don't use enough clay lube or do it incorrectly. If you do it right, the paint will be smoother and contaminent-free. Who cares? Well, a smoother surface gives a better reflection. That's why you'd do it. If you're uneasy, skip it. The CQ is an amazing product. It is a new product based on new technology. A few members from here have come and joined Live2Detail, on which I am a member of the board of Directors with the same screen name, for detailing advice. We are the only detailing forum that is not owned or sponsored by a manufacturer or store. You will get lots of help there.

For your trim, I use Ultima. It will give you months of protection and a bit glossier finish. You can also use CQ on it too. (BTW, I read where you said use CQ on leather: don't). Ultima makes an incredible leather protector too. Here are links to both:

http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-tire-trim-guard.html

http://www.autogeek....r-guard-12.html

You can use the Ultima on your tires too, which saves buying one more product.

Sheesh! That's probably enough question for now. I may be being a little anal, but you guys have impressed upon me the ease at which paint surfaces can be destroyed - or at least marred! I'm sure that can happen as quickly from ignorance as it can through neglect.

Thanks for any help! (I'm also trying to minimize cost a bit by using items for multiple areas - after the cost of the Edge, good floor mats, cargo mat, rear bumper protection, screen protector, bug/wind shields, some sort of dog proofing...costs are adding up and I'm starting to get the look. dry.gif )

:)

It sounds like you've done your homework. I do suggest joining a forum. Either mine or Autogeekonline. AG is big and lots of people (I'm there too) but they don't want you discussing products they don't sell. But, they do sell damn near everything. Please let us know how you make out.

Edited by richy