Edge Vista Roof Problems

Ha, Ha.....I know it seems funny, which further reiterates my point. This is the God honest truth. They take classes on how to ......how do I put this......confuse people and leave them in the dark. With the internet and forums like this......consumers have a new found understanding and learning as to what is actually going on. I explained to the service manager of the new supplier of the chrome clad 18" rims and he looked at me like how in the hell does he know that.......I then proceeded to tell him the exact part # of the new rims and he went into the shop all pissed off mumbling under his breath. He came back about 5 minutes later saying all 4 rims will be replaced. I felt like asking him that if I bend over, will it make it easier for you to kiss my ass. A little knowldge goes a long way !

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to the inital question. I have just occured this problem with my 08 edge with the vista roof. First I wanted to say that fully understand the settings of the moon roof and its "comfort settings". I noticed when we bought the vehicle that when closing the roof completely its seemed to close very slowly with very little power. Yesterday when I attempted to close the moon roof it powered out and completly stoped roughly 8" from where it was suppose to. It did not drop down into the seated position in the tracks. I tried multiple times to get it to work, opening and closing it, closeing the shade (after closing the shade and re-opening it I noticed that it re-opend in a jerky sparadic movement and not continuous like it usually does). I brought it into the dealership and he said that this was the 10th edge that has come in with this problem. Although mine was the first 08 to come in with this problem, he stated that many 07 across north america have come in with this problem, so many that Ford had to have their engineers go back and look at the engineering of the moon roof and redesign some of the parts. He stated that many times the brackets that hold the glass up and slide along the tracks were made too stiff in the 07 models. These brackets needed to be changed out to be less stiff. According to the parts manual from the Ford dealership, these faulty or problem parts were said to be changed in the 08 models, but as you can see from my problem, some vehicles still require them to be changed. I dont know exactly how much it is going to cost me because I brought it in yesterday, but I was given an estimate from the mechanic of roughly $3000 for parts plus labor. This problem is more common then some may think, so when my basic warrenty runs out you better believe I will be purchasing the extended warrenty.

• 3 weeks later...
. Although mine was the first 08 to come in with this problem, he stated that many 07 across north america have come in with this problem, so many that Ford had to have their engineers go back and look at the engineering of the moon roof and redesign some of the parts.

Ā 

What was the build date on your Edge?

i have a 2007 sel edge, and when i first got it the roof worked, but not that well. I waited until the weather got better and it seems to get stuck closing about 80% of the time. I found i have to help push it closed. I've taken mine to be serviced and after being jerked around a little bit, they're telling me they need to replace the brackets and that they need to cut the roof off the egde in order to do it. Sounds extreme to me....

I have The BAMR, but have no clue what the words stand for. I have had zero issues with the "BAMR"

I just wish you could hit the close button and it would actually close all the way. I don't know where they got the term "express close"

Ā 

The FORD folks dubbed it the "BAMR"---"Big Ass Moon Roof"---really!, but in all literature it will be known as the "panoramic" roof since the "other" name could raise some eyebrows!!

Ā 

BTW does anybody have any tips on how to adjust the BAMR for tight fitment??

Ā 

W.

• 1 month later...

Have a 2009 limited with Vista Roof (BAMR). Shade stopped retracting during the second week of ownership. The motor pulled back the front of the sun shade, but the fabric did not roll up - it just sagged down on your head.

Had it repaired at the dealer - and the Dumb A$$ put the front fabric on the leading edge of the shade on the wrong side (top side) so the metal holder of the fabric sun shade was visible. I refused the car and in their rush to quickly fix it correctly, they stabbed the metal leading edge into the headliner and cut it. I'm presently living with a small snag in the headliner as I'm afraid the fix will be worse than the present damage. I've been losing ground.

Ā 

Where have all the smart technicians gone?

• 1 month later...
Have a 2009 limited with Vista Roof (BAMR). Shade stopped retracting during the second week of ownership. The motor pulled back the front of the sun shade, but the fabric did not roll up - it just sagged down on your head.

Had it repaired at the dealer - and the Dumb A$$ put the front fabric on the leading edge of the shade on the wrong side (top side) so the metal holder of the fabric sun shade was visible. I refused the car and in their rush to quickly fix it correctly, they stabbed the metal leading edge into the headliner and cut it. I'm presently living with a small snag in the headliner as I'm afraid the fix will be worse than the present damage. I've been losing ground.

Ā 

Where have all the smart technicians gone?

Ā 

My brother is a senior master tech for a ford dealership out of CO. I would suggest you go in and talk to your service manager and if he acts like a dip!@#$ then request a new one or better yet talk to a few of them out on the line and when you find one you "click" with request he become your service writer. As for the technician who jacked up your head liner and put it together wrong tell your new service writer that this guy does not touch your vehicle again not even to put the paper floor mats in when they change the oil.

Ā 

Bad service gets no quarter or sympathy from me I just wish I lived in CO still so my brother could do all of my maintenance/repairs.

Ā 

but don't be afraid to fire these clowns that "fix" cars there are good ones out there just keep talking to people till you find a good one.

PS: I don't have a warm and fuzzy from my service writer I am gonna give him a chance however I am allready working on making friends of the other writers on the line.

Ā 

Good Luck to you and don't settle for a crap repair job

Edited by TnDEdge

My brother is a senior master tech for a ford dealership out of CO. I would suggest you go in and talk to your service manager and if he acts like a dip!@#$ then request a new one or better yet talk to a few of them out on the line and when you find one you "click" with request he become your service writer. As for the technician who jacked up your head liner and put it together wrong tell your new service writer that this guy does not touch your vehicle again not even to put the paper floor mats in when they change the oil.

Ā 

Bad service gets no quarter or sympathy from me I just wish I lived in CO still so my brother could do all of my maintenance/repairs.

Ā 

but don't be afraid to fire these clowns that "fix" cars there are good ones out there just keep talking to people till you find a good one.

PS: I don't have a warm and fuzzy from my service writer I am gonna give him a chance however I am allready working on making friends of the other writers on the line.

Ā 

Good Luck to you and don't settle for a crap repair job

Ā 

When I went to pick up my new 2009 Edge Limited back in March the headliner was in the same state of disrepair. I took the car, they ordered the parts and within a week it was fixed perfectly. I think I got lucky, I still could be fooling with this. Good luck and if they can't fix it, try another dealer--ce

• 7 months later...

I'm bringing this topic back up because our 08 just started to experience this issue of the bamr not closing all the way. My warranty is up in 50 miles! The lease is up next March. Has anyone on here had any luck with white lithium grease sprayed on the rails? I tried it but the glass always stops about 8" away. Another thing the sunshades close fine but i have to press the open button repeatedly to get them to open, they used to just glide by holding the button down. Of course it is going to rain tomorrow! I am calling the dealer first thing in the am. Anybody have clues and or fixes you have had? thanks

• 2 weeks later...

In response to the inital question. I have just occured this problem with my 08 edge with the vista roof. First I wanted to say that fully understand the settings of the moon roof and its "comfort settings". I noticed when we bought the vehicle that when closing the roof completely its seemed to close very slowly with very little power. Yesterday when I attempted to close the moon roof it powered out and completly stoped roughly 8" from where it was suppose to. It did not drop down into the seated position in the tracks. I tried multiple times to get it to work, opening and closing it, closeing the shade (after closing the shade and re-opening it I noticed that it re-opend in a jerky sparadic movement and not continuous like it usually does). I brought it into the dealership and he said that this was the 10th edge that has come in with this problem. Although mine was the first 08 to come in with this problem, he stated that many 07 across north america have come in with this problem, so many that Ford had to have their engineers go back and look at the engineering of the moon roof and redesign some of the parts. He stated that many times the brackets that hold the glass up and slide along the tracks were made too stiff in the 07 models. These brackets needed to be changed out to be less stiff. According to the parts manual from the Ford dealership, these faulty or problem parts were said to be changed in the 08 models, but as you can see from my problem, some vehicles still require them to be changed. I dont know exactly how much it is going to cost me because I brought it in yesterday, but I was given an estimate from the mechanic of roughly $3000 for parts plus labor. This problem is more common then some may think, so when my basic warrenty runs out you better believe I will be purchasing the extended warrenty.

Ā 

My 2007 Ford Edge is in the shop now with the exact same problem. About 7 inches from closing all the way it just stops. The dealer has no idea what's going on, said "it could get messy" (meaning $$$). Did you get your car fixed? What was the problem and how much did it cost you? We've been on the phone with Ford but don't know how much good that will do.

anybody have results to the cause or a fix for this????? Anybody??? Car is at dealer now, they manuallly closed the roof and are awaiting updated tracks for it?

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I have the exact same problem with my 2007 Ford Edge...dealer is stumped and said "it could get messy" ($$$)

Ā 

Did you get it fixed? What was the problem and how much was the fix???

Ā 

At this point I'd be happy if they could just close the window and be done with it.

• 5 weeks later...

I know I am late to this thread but......

Ā 

We just bought a 2010 Edge Limited, took delivery on Wednesday. My wife came home last night (Thursday) and said the roof was closing really slow and not closing all the way. When I went and looked at it seems that many of the issues explained here we have. It is really slow closing and most of the time won't close the entire way, stops about 4"-8" short. If you assist it with your had it seems that we can get it closed.

Ā 

Interested to know if it is a lubrication issue and if so what are people using to lubricate. I was thinking of trying lubricant this weekend.

Ā 

Have an appointment scheduled for Monday at the dealership. Just really said that we haven't even had the vehicle 72 hours and it has to go in for service!

Ā 

Thanks,

Gary

I know I am late to this thread but......

Ā 

We just bought a 2010 Edge Limited, took delivery on Wednesday. My wife came home last night (Thursday) and said the roof was closing really slow and not closing all the way. When I went and looked at it seems that many of the issues explained here we have. It is really slow closing and most of the time won't close the entire way, stops about 4"-8" short. If you assist it with your had it seems that we can get it closed.

Ā 

Interested to know if it is a lubrication issue and if so what are people using to lubricate. I was thinking of trying lubricant this weekend.

Ā 

Have an appointment scheduled for Monday at the dealership. Just really said that we haven't even had the vehicle 72 hours and it has to go in for service!

Ā 

Thanks,

Gary

Ā 

I'm pretty sure there is a TSB on this as I just spoke with my service rep earlier today and he mentioned a TSB for the Vista.

Update:

Ā 

Wife took it to the dealer and apparently it came from the factory without the proper lubrication. They lubricated and it seems to be working fine now. They didn't mention anything about a TSB but it works so I am happy now.

Ā 

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Ā 

Wife took it to the dealer and apparently it came from the factory without the proper lubrication. They lubricated and it seems to be working fine now. They didn't mention anything about a TSB but it works so I am happy now.

Ā 

Thanks.

Ā 

So, my 2007 MKX has the vista roof. When I press the button to open it it opens till there are about 8 inches left. If I press it again it opens all the way. Closing is a different story, it closes till about 8 inches then I have to hold the button to close it the rest of the way. What I'm understanding from this thread is it should open completely/close and not stop and not have to be assisted by holding the button. Is this correct?

Ā 

The dealership said these were safety features. Were they lying and not wanting to deal with it or were they correct? Any ideas guys?

So, my 2007 MKX has the vista roof. When I press the button to open it it opens till there are about 8 inches left. If I press it again it opens all the way. Closing is a different story, it closes till about 8 inches then I have to hold the button to close it the rest of the way. What I'm understanding from this thread is it should open completely/close and not stop and not have to be assisted by holding the button. Is this correct?

Ā 

The dealership said these were safety features. Were they lying and not wanting to deal with it or were they correct? Any ideas guys?

Ā 

Ā 

Nope...it is working properly...when you push the button it opens to most of the way. To fully open it you must push the button again.

Ā 

When closing you push the button and it closes to what they call the "comfort position", which is as you describe about 8 from closed. To fully close you must push and hold the button.

Ā 

All is well...this is all in the owners manual.

Ā 

W.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

From what I understand it is a saftey feature. It should explain this in the owners manual.

Edited by glraz

• 1 month later...

We are seriously looking at a Ford Edge, but have found two vehicles in Saskatchewan with 03/07 manufacterers date with faulty roofs. The roof seems to power out and stall in open position. We checked others on the lot and they were fine. Is there a recall on this roof. We are wondering if it is a stoke of bad luck or good fotune.

Count me in.... Had it checked 6 weeks ago...just had the dealership contact me for another check...

Haven't used the roof since May/10 as it has been getting slower and slower closing...so I went on google to check on info and then went to dealership 1 month after the warranty expired....

I had boughten this car at a buy/back...with on 23,000kms and only have had it 1 1/2 years.

now they advised me that it will cost me 2,600.00 to fix which Ford will kick in, the dealership and myself.

Ā 

They have no idea what is wrong...Need to know which dealerships in Saskatchewan have had success on determining the cause or success rate of fixing this??? or anywhere else...

will be phoning Merlin, Bennett...on Monday to check!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Count me in.... Had it checked 6 weeks ago...just had the dealership contact me for another check...

Haven't used the roof since May/10 as it has been getting slower and slower closing...so I went on google to check on info and then went to dealership 1 month after the warranty expired....

I had boughten this car at a buy/back...with on 23,000kms and only have had it 1 1/2 years.

now they advised me that it will cost me 2,600.00 to fix which Ford will kick in, the dealership and myself.

Ā 

They have no idea what is wrong...Need to know which dealerships in Saskatchewan have had success on determining the cause or success rate of fixing this??? or anywhere else...

will be phoning Merlin, Bennett...on Monday to check!

Ā 

I test drove a used 2010 at Merlin and the vista roof stuck on us. We turned around and they popped it into service. Apparently just greased it and it was fine, not sure about long term. The salesman claimed they sometimes come without being properly greased from factory. It's possible I suppose. Due to other issues with Merlin I went to Jubilee and bought a new 2010.

• 2 months later...

I have The BAMR, but have no clue what the words stand for. I have had zero issues with the "BAMR"

I just wish you could hit the close button and it would actually close all the way. I don't know where they got the term "express close"

Ā 

Ford's lawyers probably mandated that it not automatically close. I guess Ford was too cheap to install a strain gauge to sense obstructions. (hands, feet, etc)

• 3 months later...

We are seriously looking at a Ford Edge, but have found two vehicles in Saskatchewan with 03/07 manufacterers date with faulty roofs. The roof seems to power out and stall in open position. We checked others on the lot and they were fine. Is there a recall on this roof. We are wondering if it is a stoke of bad luck or good fotune.

I have a 2007 edge and the past 1.5yr I have had no roof during the sunmmer months.

Ā 

Taken it to the dealership and there is no recalls on it (none that I have been able to look up)

I have had to push them to look at it again for the 2nd time....

FYI DO NOT get extended warranty for it either - not covered.

they have had alot of problems with the vista rood and it seems that no one can really help youout here.

I tried to get an answer whether it is the motor switch or the roof rails (that the glass runs on)

the dealership really has not idea. So back it will go to the dealership for another 2 days ..