Edge Vista Roof Problems

We are seriously looking at a Ford Edge, but have found two vehicles in Saskatchewan with 03/07 manufacterers date with faulty roofs. The roof seems to power out and stall in open position. We checked others on the lot and they were fine. Is there a recall on this roof. We are wondering if it is a stoke of bad luck or good fotune.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clarify - I have a BAMR - when I read your post - something clicked for me - that my BAMR did not close all the way...

Ā 

So.. I pulled out the owner's book - and there is default stop settings on the BAMR - first touch to open - will open it to the "comfort" position which is not all the way open - 2nd touch and hold will open it full.

Ā 

To close, first touch will close to the "express" close position, second touch and hold will fully close the roof.

Ā 

Just wanted to let everyone know before they concluded they had a problem with the BAMR..

Just to clarify - I have a BAMR - when I read your post - something clicked for me - that my BAMR did not close all the way...

Ā 

So.. I pulled out the owner's book - and there is default stop settings on the BAMR - first touch to open - will open it to the "comfort" position which is not all the way open - 2nd touch and hold will open it full.

Ā 

To close, first touch will close to the "express" close position, second touch and hold will fully close the roof.

Ā 

Just wanted to let everyone know before they concluded they had a problem with the BAMR..

Ā 

Thank you Edgy Girl for the reply. The roof responded the way you suggested but when going into the full closed postion the roof did not seating down into the rubber. I looked at other Edge and a Lincoln MKX and noticed the front of the glass on the roof lined up with the outer ribbing. On these two they were not aligned. Just curious if anyone else has seen this problem. I love the Edge but am very concerned about having a roof that will not seat and close properly.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would like everyone's input here. Is anyone having problems with the vista roof. I have had my edge since 3/12/07, and have had the roof act up twice already. The first time it wouldn't close all the way, I brought it in for service and re initialized the roof and all was well at the time. Now two days ago the roof would not close again. It was making a scary clicking sound. I have to bring it back Monday to have it checked out again. I am getting discouraged!!!

I don't have the Vista roof on my Edge, so I can't speak from personal experience. But, I did do a fair amount of research prior to getting my Edge, spoke with a lot of owners and read up here on the forums, most who I spoke to had the Vista roof and are happy with it and didn't have any problems. Although, there were quite a few who wished they didn't get it for all the problems they've had. A lot of them learned that the track the roof should be 'gliding' on didn't have any grease or if it did, it wasn't enough. Hence lots of crazy noises and it would stop moving on the track, friction is great for that. Once the track got greased properly at the dealership all was good. Only problem was it usually took a few trips to the dealership for it to be figured out...

I don't have the Vista roof on my Edge, so I can't speak from personal experience. But, I did do a fair amount of research prior to getting my Edge, spoke with a lot of owners and read up here on the forums, most who I spoke to had the Vista roof and are happy with it and didn't have any problems. Although, there were quite a few who wished they didn't get it for all the problems they've had. A lot of them learned that the track the roof should be 'gliding' on didn't have any grease or if it did, it wasn't enough. Hence lots of crazy noises and it would stop moving on the track, friction is great for that. Once the track got greased properly at the dealership all was good. Only problem was it usually took a few trips to the dealership for it to be figured out...

Ā 

Ā 

I would like to hear from people that have had the problems that you refer to.

""So what did you guys do? I asked the service guy. The short of the long is that there was barely none OR no lubrication in the track. They simply lubed up the track to my Vista roof and all is fine. I tested the roof after getting the keys and the nasty noise it was making was gone and the roof closed properly without much effort.""

Ā 

The above is from blueovalforums.com., under the Edge thread (page 2). I have had similar problems with my roof. I took it to the dealer, who kept it for 2 days. The dealer had to take it to a local sun roof company, since no one at the dealership knew anything about the BAMR. I was told it needs to be completely replaced, but I think they don't know bubkis. I am going to try lubing the tracks as soon as I get a chance, and see what happens.

""So what did you guys do? I asked the service guy. The short of the long is that there was barely none OR no lubrication in the track. They simply lubed up the track to my Vista roof and all is fine. I tested the roof after getting the keys and the nasty noise it was making was gone and the roof closed properly without much effort.""

Ā 

The above is from blueovalforums.com., under the Edge thread (page 2). I have had similar problems with my roof. I took it to the dealer, who kept it for 2 days. The dealer had to take it to a local sun roof company, since no one at the dealership knew anything about the BAMR. I was told it needs to be completely replaced, but I think they don't know bubkis. I am going to try lubing the tracks as soon as I get a chance, and see what happens.

Ā 

Ā 

I would like to know if there are any ford employees out there that actually worked on the edge, or by any chance would anyone know of any rolling changes that were made to the edge vista roof during production? I think it is a little unreasonable that the customer should be lubing the tracks on a roof that costs $1400.00

Since you two don't get along, please avoid making coments like these to each other.

Ā 

Ā 

I guess people want to play games here, I'm just looking for honest feedback. I am a little confused by the earlier post---

The vendor has had someone at the end of flattop in final checking the BAMR for the past 2 months+. ----

Could the person who posted this expand on the topic a little more?

I guess people want to play games here, I'm just looking for honest feedback. I am a little confused by the earlier post---

The vendor has had someone at the end of flattop in final checking the BAMR for the past 2 months+. ----

Could the person who posted this expand on the topic a little more?

Ā 

Don't hold your breath.

Ā 

That was Otpisdead and he hasn't been here since the first part of July.

Ā 

I guess you could try a PM?

• 1 year later...
Thank you Edgy Girl for the reply. The roof responded the way you suggested but when going into the full closed postion the roof did not seating down into the rubber. I looked at other Edge and a Lincoln MKX and noticed the front of the glass on the roof lined up with the outer ribbing. On these two they were not aligned. Just curious if anyone else has seen this problem. I love the Edge but am very concerned about having a roof that will not seat and close properly.

Ā 

Ā 

I have the edge with the vista roof had a few problems with it not closing and then last weekend traveling down the road nothing around and heard a bang tried to figure out what it was and the roof had exploded and the glass was completly shattered...have taken it back to where we bought it and they will not help us in anyway. If anyone else has had this problem please let me know. deb@kingcon.com trying to show ford that this may be a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, as a matter of fact our brand new MKX is in the shop with dealer tags on it right now because of some kind of strange Vista Roof problem. When we were test driving the vehicle, the wife apparently saw some black smudging on the REAR vista shade on the passenger side but it looked really minor and she really didn't bring it up. I didn't see it until after we bought it and thought it was probably a grease stain. Not more than 1 day after we bought it, some a-hole decided to put a rather good sized ding in the front passenger door handle. When I was over having it painted at a buddy of mine's who owns a P&B shop, it was raining outside. When he went to pull the thing in after an hour of waiting outside in the rain. Almost the entire rear Vista shade was damp and you could see definite water lines on both sides. It went straight from his place to the dealership. They didn't have a new shade, but they're ordering one. I'm thinking the black stuff was mold, so the problem has been there for a while. They still haven't given me an answer, but I think it's strange that the leakage occurred in the STATIC portion of the Vista Roof.

Edited by bluetexan

I have The BAMR, but have no clue what the words stand for. I have had zero issues with the "BAMR"

I just wish you could hit the close button and it would actually close all the way. I don't know where they got the term "express close"

Ā 

HI Blazedup. :D The legend goes like this: When the EDGE/MKX were first going through design/production, an Assembly Line Worker saw how big the Vista Roof was and commented, "That is one Big Ass Moon Roof"! The nickname stuck. :hysterical:

Ā 

Officially (on the Window Sticker etc), it is called the "Vista Roof".

Ā 

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 2 weeks later...

BTW, I picked up our MKX from the dealership after they replaced the second row shade. We've had two good rains here since and there has been no issue. I'm not sure what was the issue, and the dealership really didn't know either. On the paperwork there is supposed to be an explanation, but it just says that "customer complains of water saturating the second row sun shade..." and then they talk about replacing it and testing it and finding no residual problems.

Ā 

The week afterward, I was there to pick up our license plates. Our salesman told me that the service manager had told her that there was no way that there was a leak caused by the factory installation and that they shouldn't have replaced the MILDEWED SECOND ROW SHADE under warranty (hint: mildew means to anyone with a brain that the leak had been there longer than the 4 days that we owned the vehicle). Odd thing - our new service guy, our new car dealer, owner of the dealership, and sales manager all saw the leak on the day I brought it in. Not to mention that day I was having the handle repainted since an a**hole decided to put a dime sized dent in our door handle on the second day we owned the vehicle.

Ā 

They didn't even offer to make ready the car on the day they sold it (or else they would have caught the shade issue). They told me that it was because there was a paintless dent that needed repair and the guy was only there on certain days. We didn't catch the shade issue because we test drove it with the sun shades retracted the entire time and weren't even sitting in the second row to begin with.

Ā 

Tell me, am I being harsh or minutia picking by thinking that I never need to have my vehicle serviced by that same dealership?

Edited by bluetexan

BTW, I picked up our MKX from the dealership after they replaced the second row shade. We've had two good rains here since and there has been no issue. I'm not sure what was the issue, and the dealership really didn't know either. On the paperwork there is supposed to be an explanation, but it just says that "customer complains of water saturating the second row sun shade..." and then they talk about replacing it and testing it and finding no residual problems.

Ā 

The week afterward, I was there to pick up our license plates. Our salesman told me that the service manager had told her that there was no way that there was a leak caused by the factory installation and that they shouldn't have replaced the MILDEWED SECOND ROW SHADE under warranty (hint: mildew means to anyone with a brain that the leak had been there longer than the 4 days that we owned the vehicle). Odd thing - our new service guy, our new car dealer, owner of the dealership, and sales manager all saw the leak on the day I brought it in. Not to mention that day I was having the handle repainted since an a**hole decided to put a dime sized dent in our door handle on the second day we owned the vehicle.

Ā 

They didn't even offer to make ready the car on the day they sold it (or else they would have caught the shade issue). They told me that it was because there was a paintless dent that needed repair and the guy was only there on certain days. We didn't catch the shade issue because we test drove it with the sun shades retracted the entire time and weren't even sitting in the second row to begin with.

Ā 

Tell me, am I being harsh or minutia picking by thinking that I never need to have my vehicle serviced by that same dealership?

Ā 

Hi bluetexan. :D My advice? Always be careful what Salespeople tell you is true or not true. They have a way of consistently spinning stories to put themselves in a better light, therefore getting your return business on your next car.

Ā 

For example a slick Salesperson will try to take credit for getting your car fixed by stating something to the effect of, "You know what Mr. Blue Texan, if I had not intervened the Service Manager would have turned down your Warranty repair."

Ā 

Two other things: First, there is no reason that a Service Manager would have for making a statement like that. That would be an automatic Warranty fix, since as you said, mildew would not have formed that quickly in four days, even if you had left the roof open.

Second, a good Service Manager would never tell a Salesperson something like that. And a bastard Service Manager would have just denied the Warranty repair, not performed the repair under Warranty and then bitched to a Salesperson.

Ā 

Hope this information helps.

Ā 

I'm on my third dealer for service now.........and the one conclusion that I have come to is that service advisors are not necessarily the problem, rather the service managers. These guys take classes on how to be "assholes" and I kid you not, these classes teach them and instruct them to be vague and rude and just plain assholes. I have attended these classes, and if you don't believe me fine. Do the research and find out for yourself. If you can find a dealer where you have your car serviced to be honest and decent, good for you. I have not found this yet. My Dad always told me "once you sign those papers........your a piece of shit".

I'm on my third dealer for service now.........and the one conclusion that I have come to is that service advisors are not necessarily the problem, rather the service managers. These guys take classes on how to be "assholes" and I kid you not, these classes teach them and instruct them to be vague and rude and just plain assholes. I have attended these classes, and if you don't believe me fine. Do the research and find out for yourself. If you can find a dealer where you have your car serviced to be honest and decent, good for you. I have not found this yet. My Dad always told me "once you sign those papers........your a piece of shit".

Ā 

Hi Blazedup. :D I know you did not mean for it to come out in this way, but it is still funny. So you might want to reword your previous post.

Ā 

Do you realize that you just posted a reply that insists we believe that you attended classes that taught you to be vague, rude and just a plain asshole? Should we agree with you or argue with you? :headscratch: You seemed so intent on convincing us, that I hate to argue with you about it! :hysterical:

Ā 

Anyway, as previously stated I know you did not mean it in that manner, but thanks for the unintentional laugh! :shades:

Ā 

Edited by bbf2530