What is your MPG?

IZZYAZ

I am looking at trading in my wifes 2005 F150 Supercrew King Ranch on an Edge SEL+ FWD. After 2 years of aftermarket add ons to the F150, I have finally got the MPG from 14 to 18 MPG. But the wife hates parking the truck and wants better gas mileage.

So what is everyone getting for gas mileage. Any posts will be great. We have all but signed the papers to order one, the MPG is kind of the last factor. My wife usually drives highway only miles here in Iowa. So there is no stop and go traffic and she does very little city driving.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking at trading in my wifes 2005 F150 Supercrew King Ranch on an Edge SEL+ FWD. After 2 years of aftermarket add ons to the F150, I have finally got the MPG from 14 to 18 MPG. But the wife hates parking the truck and wants better gas mileage.

So what is everyone getting for gas mileage. Any posts will be great. We have all but signed the papers to order one, the MPG is kind of the last factor. My wife usually drives highway only miles here in Iowa. So there is no stop and go traffic and she does very little city driving.

Most of the posts I've seen (including some of the car mags) is 18-20 combined for the FWD models. In your case I would expect that to be in the 22-24 range if you're doing mostly highway (although speed will have a big impact on that).

Would agree with blazin-edge, there seems to be a peak around 60mph +/- where you can get pretty good mileage and it drops off slowly at first above that and then more rapidly as you go beyond 75mph. Its easy to get 24mpg on the highway on flat ground going a decent pace assuming you dont floor it to overtake, just cruise. In the city again not hauling from light to light you can get 18mpg with some care. These are all with the AWD, the FWD should get a little better.

OMG LIES!

lol, well maybe it is me being up North...with hills and all? I am averaging 15mpg. Best tank so far has been 17 worst tank was 12.4. I have the FWD too, which is claimed to get better MPG compared to the AWD. Either way my last few tanks have been between 15 and 16.7 So I guess I am almost to my "optimal" I have over 4000 miles on it now and have yet to do a FULL highway tank. I am looking forward to that test. It feels like it will do well on the highway?

Good luck. (maybe you could just buy mine from me :victory: )

My opinion....with gas going to $3/gallon and climbing, I would have NEVER bought this vehichle. I wasnt thinking clearly and gas was 2.18 when I bought it in February...To each his own though!

Ok how about this. Most of the time the mileage that I am worried about is the straight, flat interstates of the midwest. I have family in K.C. and Minneapolis. We make frequent trips to both places. About 200+ miles one way. The last trip I did was up to Minneapolis. 75-80 mph nonstop, no wind, 75 degree day. The F150 got just under 17 mpg. Will the Edge pull at least 20 on the same trip?

From what I am reading I will be giving up a truck that I love, to get about the same or only 1-2 mpg better. Not sure if the switch is worth it???

From what I am reading I will be giving up a truck that I love, to get about the same or only 1-2 mpg better. Not sure if the switch is worth it???

If you're doing it for fuel savings then no its not worth it, if you are doing it because the Edge kicks ass and looks cool doing it then yeah get an Egde

Ok how about this. Most of the time the mileage that I am worried about is the straight, flat interstates of the midwest. I have family in K.C. and Minneapolis. We make frequent trips to both places. About 200+ miles one way. The last trip I did was up to Minneapolis. 75-80 mph nonstop, no wind, 75 degree day. The F150 got just under 17 mpg. Will the Edge pull at least 20 on the same trip?

Typically get about 400+ miles on a tank (refilling around 18.5-19 gal) which is 21+mpg on flat roads and not all highway. Given the speed you are talking about though you are likely to get about the same. If you are buying the Edge for economy, it wont get you anything like a sedan and if you are doing this trip all the time, why not get one of those to rack up miles? Do you need an SUV or truck for this trip, the looks or for the rest of the week away from what i can only assume are weekend trips? We wanted the utility and accepted that we werent going to get sedan economy with the Edge. When we want to move large amounts of stuff we use the Edge and get fair mileage and when we just have a couple of people and not much luggage we take the Accord for road trips.

I understand that the Edge will not get car type mileage. I am just checking to make sure that it is getting a little closer to the mfrs. numbers for mileage. When I bought my F150 the sticker said 18 hiway 14 city. With no mods I had a hard time getting 14 on the hiway. Only after $1200+ of after market stuff do I get what the mfr. says it should get. I just want to make sure that it will consistantly get 20ish mpg.

I just want to make sure that it will consistantly get 20ish mpg.

On the flat highway without ramming the pedal - yes and maybe a little higher, in the city with plenty of stop/go - probably not, but maybe close.

I will be picking up my new Edge SEL+ on Saturday morning. Thanks for everyones help!!!!

Izz...I have had my Edge SEL AWD since March and I am getting between 22 - 23 MPG on the highway, I drive over 100 miles per day to and from work so most of the driving is on the highway. I really dont know what it would get if it was city driving. I already have over 6,000 miles on the vehicle and I am still very happy with my choice.

It is much better than the 2000 Explorer that I had before the Edge. On the Explorer the best I could get on the highway was around 15 MPG, so I am very pleased with the better gas milage as well as the better ride.

After the first tank of gas on my new Edge FWD SEL Plus, (ten miles on the odometer at delivery) with 50/50 city/Highway, I averaged 22.3 MPG.

This included a few lead footed, test out the power accelerations. I suspect the MPG will improve over the next 3000 miles just as my wife's 2006 V-6 Fusion did.

As for the Edge itself, We love it. It is quiet, comfortable and without a rattle anywhere. The same can be said for our Fusion which now has 14,000 miles on it.

Great job Ford, you are building a really nice lineup of cars. Keep up the good work.

AS I posted elsewhere, I went on a 700 mile trip this weekend in my SEL AWD. I got 24.9 in interstate/rural driving on eway and 21.9 the other since we were sitting in traffic for nearly an hour. Just to compare. My 05 Freestyle rarely got 17 mpg (mostly around 15 city) and the best I got on the highway was 23.

For reference, my wife's Toyota Camry (I tried to tell her) with the 4-banger gets around 26 highway and 19 in town. I'm doing better with the Edge (well, almost). My son's Acura TSX with the fancy Honda engine gets a little less than that. Ford has a winner with the 3.5. It's smooth, powerful, and gets decent gas mileage. unless you want a hybrid or an underpowered car, this is the best I've seen. BTW, gas priced soared this weekend. On the trip down, regular was 2.89 and onthe trip back it was $3.25! This was in WV, VA, NCand SC. Just makes you sick!

Put the first tank of gas in the new Edge yesterday (Sunday). The wife got 19ish on the very first tank. It was a relief to fill the edge compared to the F150 it replaced or the Superduty that I drive. It cost me $40 to fill the Edge and $120 to fill the Superduty. This gas thing is getting out of hand!!!

I got some lessons this weekend on how to get the best mpg with the type of engine in the Edge. (I have a relative that worked on the design)

Keep your eye on the tach and try to not let it go over 2. Slow accelerating and coasting whenever possible. (It is amazing how far this car will coast at a good speed) I had been getting around 19 miles to the gallon. I experimented with the suggestions this weekend and my mpg went up to 26 (mixed highway and city with the airconditioning on). I thought that was pretty amazing. I was able to go 70 on the highway without the tach going over 2. Now I am addicted to watching the tach and the MPG display :wacko: Just have to remember to watch the road too.

I really love this car!

Edited by nlr