What is your MPG?

IZZYAZ

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got some lessons this weekend on how to get the best mpg with the type of engine in the Edge. (I have a relative that worked on the design)

Ā 

Keep your eye on the tach and try to not let it go over 2. Slow accelerating and coasting whenever possible. (It is amazing how far this car will coast at a good speed) I had been getting around 19 miles to the gallon. I experimented with the suggestions this weekend and my mpg went up to 26 (mixed highway and city with the airconditioning on). I thought that was pretty amazing. I was able to go 70 on the highway without the tach going over 2. Now I am addicted to watching the tach and the MPG display :wacko: Just have to remember to watch the road too.

Ā 

I really love this car!

Ā 

I`ve been driving much like you stated, keeping and eye on the tach and not hammering it off the line. With a 50/50 mix of highway/city, my mileage has been about 11.3 litres/100 K. That is on my second tank with roughly 800 kms on the clock. On the highway at 100klms (55mph) I`m reving about 1500, sometimes coasting I can rev about 1000.

Sorry for no MPGs on the gas usage...all metric unfortunately.

I love the vehicle and so far have no complaints.

Ā 

Thanks

Edited by vino125

Whats your average speed? Im at an average speed of 38km - getting 14.2 right now...

Ā 

on third tank - doing about 300kms per week....I think I might reset my computer calculation....

Ā 

I looked earlier today and I believe my average speed was 40 or 45km.

• 3 weeks later...

I just hit the 1000 mile mark on the Edge. 250 mile trip to Kansas City just completed last weekend. The Edge averaged right at 22 mpg at 77 mph for both directions of the trip. The in town mpg is a little worse at 17 mpg, but I drive like a 16 year old after they get their first liscence, so it's not all that bad. I did do one 70 mile trip at 60 mph and did get 25 mpg. That also included some starts and stops on the 2 lane black top in some small towns along the way. So far I have been very impressed by the mpg in the Edge. It's a heck of a lot better then the 14 in the F150 we traded, but it doesn't have the cargo room, which I do miss.

We have right at 700 miles on ours now... I got 20.3mpg (Message Center and calculated) with 270 miles of Atlanta rush hour type interstate traffic... my trip is 36 miles each way, and I'd guess that I get a good 10-12 miles of speed limit travel and the rest is stop and go. If it only gets better from here as they claim, I'm very happy with ours. I did do a shorter trip (about 70 miles) of freeway speeds and got 24.7mpg according to the Message Center.

Ā 

Bryce

I have an Edge AWD, and I just did a 750 km trip up north and averaged 10.2 km/100 (dont know what that is in MPG) on that little trip. Pretty good considering I had either the A/C on or the windows wide open the whole way. I was mildly impressed :reading:

Mine is still gradually improving, or i am driving even more conservatively than before. Now up to 18.6mpg for practically the same drive each week. We now have almost 4000 miles on our Edge. My overall with approximately 70/30 city/hwy is 19mpg.

Ā 

We have had the AC on practically every day since we got the car due to the heat down here. The first month or so we occasionally got away with it, but once the summer started coming in....

Ā 

Have a big road trip planned in a few weeks, about 1200 miles each way split into various stages, we'll see how the car does on that load of highway driving, with a bit more hill than we have in Florida! Going to put it in for its first oil change just before the trip, maybe in a couple of weeks and give it another week or so of shake out with the new oil/filter etc before taking the big trip.

AS I posted elsewhere, I went on a 700 mile trip this weekend in my SEL AWD. I got 24.9 in interstate/rural driving on eway and 21.9 the other since we were sitting in traffic for nearly an hour. Just to compare. My 05 Freestyle rarely got 17 mpg (mostly around 15 city) and the best I got on the highway was 23.

Ā 

For reference, my wife's Toyota Camry (I tried to tell her) with the 4-banger gets around 26 highway and 19 in town. I'm doing better with the Edge (well, almost). My son's Acura TSX with the fancy Honda engine gets a little less than that. Ford has a winner with the 3.5. It's smooth, powerful, and gets decent gas mileage. unless you want a hybrid or an underpowered car, this is the best I've seen. BTW, gas priced soared this weekend. On the trip down, regular was 2.89 and onthe trip back it was $3.25! This was in WV, VA, NCand SC. Just makes you sick!

Ā 

My wife's 06 Camry LE 4cyl automatic routinely gets 30 to 32 mpg running 75 with air and 22mpg around town.

That being said, I'm extremely pleased with my Edge SEL+ FWD.

You're very lucky.

My MPG is getting worse since Summer and AC.

My best was 13l/km and now I'm at 19l/km !

Ā 

Ā 

Wow... what kind of driving do you do? It must be all in town. I do about a 30/70 split of in town / highway and I get at worst 11.5 L/100.

(yes I actually calculated it out on more than a few occassions)

My total average according to the little digital info center is 11.2 L/100. And shockingly I actually think that is correct.

Wow... what kind of driving do you do? It must be all in town. I do about a 30/70 split of in town / highway and I get at worst 11.5 L/100.

(yes I actually calculated it out on more than a few occassions)

My total average according to the little digital info center is 11.2 L/100. And shockingly I actually think that is correct.

Yes, I drive mostly city.

I'll start keeping a log.

This past week was a little low around 16.7mpg due to excessive idling and lots of around town driving with nothing on the highway. Overall average now 18.8mpg, should be picking up with that big road trip, although we are going to be hauling a bunch of stuff for the trip (including getting one those hitch mounted carriers), so i dont expect much more than 22-23mpg on average through the highway portion of the trip.

YEAH RIGHT!!! No way dude, you are not driving an Edge if you are "claiming" 32mpg!!!

Ā 

While I wish that were a true count, it is not. The conversion is 1 kilometer per liter is equal to 2.352 miles per gallon. This makes his 8.8 equal to about 20.7 mpg.

Ā 

good call Edgy Girl. I hope my physics prof doesn't look on here, he may try to change my grade :doh:

Edited by aggie07

It is more than possible to get 26 mpg (US) in the Edge. You can get 32 mpg (according to the computer), but you have to be doing around 40-45mph on a flat surface without stopping for lights etc - next to impossible!

Ā 

There is however a broad range (30-60mph) where the computer calc's out around 30mpg which is quite reasonable, but most people if they can go 60mph would rather do 70-80mph even if their fuel economy drops to low 20's. Although i wouldnt pin everything on the computer readout, its pretty close to the pump calculations for me and certainly gives me an idea what ballpark mileage i am getting whilst driving.

Ā 

Personally i am still hitting 19+/-0.5 each tank using approximately 80/20 city/highway, partly as i try to maximize the time i spend at or around 40mph to get that max fuel economy.

Edited by sim

let's not forget that power needed to go faster is the cube of the speed desired to go faster (over simplified function that doesn't take everything into it, but gives you a rough estimate)

Ā 

for example if you want to go 66mph and you were going 60mph, it would take about 33% more power.

1+percent change power = (1+percent change in speed)^3

Ā 

1+ percent change in power = (1+ 0.10) = 1.331

take a look at http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/TOPSPEED.htm

Ā 

Ā 

Bryce

Edited by Bryce

Well I just filled up today (this was my 19th recorded fill up since I bought my Edge). Today was tied for the BEST MPG I have got yet. 17.7!

Ā 

I have been able to go over 300 miles on 2 occasions so far. This last week which was about 70% city driving (305 miles) and on March 13, 2007 I went 312 miles. which also worked out to exactly 17.7 mpg.

Ā 

I leave for a road trip tomorrow which should be about 70-80% highway, I hope to break into the 20's on that tank! :burnout:

Edited by jimmerz

While I wish that were a true count, it is not. The conversion is 1 kilometer per liter is equal to 2.352 miles per gallon. This makes his 8.8 equal to about 20.7 mpg.

Ā 

good call Edgy Girl. I hope my physics prof doesn't look on here, he may try to change my grade :doh:

Ā 

Its just all that Edge excitement building for you... I did notice the boys at blueoval got you rail car numbers. That was cool of them.

Ā 

Enjoy when it arrives - my Edge has exceeded all my expectations... I love to drive it.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I just put 220 miles on my vehicle in about 3-1/2 hours and got about 25.5 MPG @ around 55 MPH... I filled it up before I headed home from vacation and this was 95% highway...

Ā 

On Friday, I had 3/4 of a tank, I reset the MPG when I left the driveway and got 26 MPG @ around 50-55 MPH.

Ā 

Very happy... However, I'll be back to city driving tomorrow so we'll be back to 18 MPG... No big deal but at least I'm getting what they told me I should be getting.

Ā 

Bill

Ok, I just put 220 miles on my vehicle in about 3-1/2 hours and got about 25.5 MPG @ around 55 MPH... I filled it up before I headed home from vacation and this was 95% highway...

Ā 

On Friday, I had 3/4 of a tank, I reset the MPG when I left the driveway and got 26 MPG @ around 50-55 MPH.

Ā 

Very happy... However, I'll be back to city driving tomorrow so we'll be back to 18 MPG... No big deal but at least I'm getting what they told me I should be getting.

Ā 

Bill

Ā 

I have a little over 2200 miles on my Edge. Half of those were highway for a trip to Florida. Other half city driving.

Ā 

I am averaging 18.7 miles per gallon.

Ā 

(I had to use premium fuel on my last car so I'm really digging the 87 octane pump!)

The wife and I did a trip to Vegas from LA last week to see her dad and averaged 23.4 mpg. Almost 600 miles round trip with some city driving. Freeway was 75-90 mph, 100-115 degrees and the AC cranking. Very happy with those results. We could have gotten better MPG but on the Interstate 15 you could get run over doing anything less than 80! The speed kills the gas usage.