What is your MPG?

IZZYAZ

I understand that the Edge will not get car type mileage. I am just checking to make sure that it is getting a little closer to the mfrs. numbers for mileage. When I bought my F150 the sticker said 18 hiway 14 city. With no mods I had a hard time getting 14 on the hiway. Only after $1200+ of after market stuff do I get what the mfr. says it should get. I just want to make sure that it will consistantly get 20ish mpg.

I have an 05 Supercrew & am currently getting 17.2 MPG as it came from the factory. This is mixed city & highway driving. The lowest its ever gotten was 16.4. I replaced the air filter & it went back up to 17.2. My MKX is due in on Thursday.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from a long road trip from FL to NY and back in several stages. We drove some 2415 miles on 113 gal which gives us 21.3mpg, which was about 19-20 mpg in local driving legs and 22-23 in highway driving legs through moderate hills in the Carolinas, which i thought was respectable.

First fill I was getting around 24 mpg. Last fill up I was getting 17 mpg (street driving). Then I noticed now I'm getting 14 mpg and figured it was because my husband had been driving. My husband tends to jack rabbit start and such. Anyway, I have been driving the car the last couple of days and it's still saying 14 mpg.

I was wondering if the reading changes every time you turn on the engine or just when you first fill it up?

Also, on the subject of fill up. The low gas message seems to come on when I have a quarter of a tank left and won't stop till I get some more gas. I can't even see the gauge that tells you how much gas you have.

Can anyone educate me on both these things?

First fill I was getting around 24 mpg. Last fill up I was getting 17 mpg (street driving). Then I noticed now I'm getting 14 mpg and figured it was because my husband had been driving. My husband tends to jack rabbit start and such. Anyway, I have been driving the car the last couple of days and it's still saying 14 mpg.

I was wondering if the reading changes every time you turn on the engine or just when you first fill it up?

Also, on the subject of fill up. The low gas message seems to come on when I have a quarter of a tank left and won't stop till I get some more gas. I can't even see the gauge that tells you how much gas you have.

Can anyone educate me on both these things?

The MPG readout never starts over unless you hit the Reset button. You should do that often now since the mileage will continue to improve over the first few thousand miles as the engine breaks in.

When you say you can't see how much gas is left, I assume you mean how many miles til empty since you already said you have a quarter of a tank so I assume you can see the fuel gauge. You need to change the display from MPG to DTE (distance to empty) - I think by hitting the Info button one or more times - it cycles through the various readouts. The low fuel message should come on with 50 miles to empty and then will come on every 10 minutes. When it displays low fuel all you have to do is hit the RESET button and it will go away for 10 minutes.

You really should read the owner's manual - all this is explained in there plus a lot of other answers to unasked questions.

• 2 months later...

Wow! Reading through all these posts has me puzzled. I don't know what to make of this mileage thing. Seems like it is all over the map.

I live in Southern NH. Plenty of hills. I travel for business so a mix of city and highway driving. I'm still monitoring this but my MPG is barely 14.5. I average between 70 - 80 MPH on the highway. I don't beat on it, but I do like to make time.

I did find that setting the cruise control does level the MPG off but still below what EPA says.

Oh... BTW... I went out to the EPA website and even through it says 18 City / 24 highway, they do have actual results which are coming in at 14.5 MPG.

My wife has a ford Expedition with a 5.0 liter engine and she gets 15 in the city. I'm thoroughly confused why a 3.6 Liter engine on a vehicle that weighs a 1,000 lbs less is getting worse gas mileage.

I'm taking back to the dealership and going to bitch and complain about it. If I uncover anything I will let this forum know.

I love the fit of the vehicle. I'm 6'4" and weigh a modest 250 lbs. The vehicle is very comfortable... Maybe that's it... I need to loose some weight to get better mileage....??? :stats:

Wow! Reading through all these posts has me puzzled. I don't know what to make of this mileage thing. Seems like it is all over the map.

I live in Southern NH. Plenty of hills. I travel for business so a mix of city and highway driving. I'm still monitoring this but my MPG is barely 14.5. I average between 70 - 80 MPH on the highway. I don't beat on it, but I do like to make time.

I did find that setting the cruise control does level the MPG off but still below what EPA says.

Oh... BTW... I went out to the EPA website and even through it says 18 City / 24 highway, they do have actual results which are coming in at 14.5 MPG.

My wife has a ford Expedition with a 5.0 liter engine and she gets 15 in the city. I'm thoroughly confused why a 3.6 Liter engine on a vehicle that weighs a 1,000 lbs less is getting worse gas mileage.

I'm taking back to the dealership and going to bitch and complain about it. If I uncover anything I will let this forum know.

I love the fit of the vehicle. I'm 6'4" and weigh a modest 250 lbs. The vehicle is very comfortable... Maybe that's it... I need to loose some weight to get better mileage....??? :stats:

Don't know your mileage so if you have less than 5,000 miles, give it time. I also believe the AWD version gets slightly worse mileage. In my experience, my AWD was getting 14MPG until about 2500 miles (combined hwy/city). Now at 4,000 miles and getting 17 City/23 Hwy. Hopefully further improvement is coming.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I passed on bitching to the dealer. But that is on the back burner for now.

I have been monitoring my mileage the old fashion way and here are the results.

Miles Gallons Difference MPG Odometer Car says

1155.60 19.26 264.30 13.723 17.50

1419.90 16.40 259.60 15.829 266.5

1679.50 14.88 266.90 17.937 266.8 17.90

1946.40 14.80 250.70 16.939 250.7 17.60

2197.10 14.70 263.50 17.925 263.4 15.90

The mileage does seem to be getting better but nothing to go screaming home about. I cannot figure why the MPG in the display is not accurate to the actual calculated MPG.

I am finding that keeping the RPM's between 1,500 and 2,000 does improve the MPG significantly. Basically if you don't drive aggressively (Sunday driver), the MPG is reasonable. But still not good.

I'm also finding that I can squeek another 1.5 gallons into the tank after the pump automatically shuts off. But you need to be careful. Going beyond 1.5 gallons after shutoff and you will spill gas.

I'm finding the low end torque to be lacking (lower gears). But if you punch it, it responds very well. Keeping the RPM's between 1,500 and 2,000 on the highway (commuter traffic) is a challenge. The Edge does coast very nicely. Actually too nicely. Taking your foot off the gas and letting it coast does improve the MPG. You need to be careful you don't coast into traffic in front of you. However if traffic patterns demand acceleration, the MPG goes in the toilet.

I'm also finding when backing up at night (I live in a dark neighborhood) visibility out the rear window is lacking. Other cars I have driven have bright reverse lights. Bright enough so you can see where you are going. This is not the case with the Edge. Anyone know of a good aftermarket reverse light I can install on the Edge?

I'm not trusting the onboard computer display. I think it lies!

Ford should really reconsider a fuel tank redesign for the AWD models. From this forum I'm seeing anywhere from a 5 - 10 MPG difference in the FWD to AWD models and all Ford could do is provide the AWD one additional gallon of fuel capacity? The AWD model should of had a 24 Gallon fuel tank. Minimum!

I know... complain... complain... complain...

I will post again when I have more old fashion MPG data....

:reading: ...Ok ...You woke me up....You want to talk about gas mileage....First IF we are talking AWD...all bets are off...Go no further in the post....I have FWD....My last 3 cars were FWD....Item: I have found the "real world" and that gas computer in the car can be like they say " a world apart"....Experience of mine:..I got 27K miles on my Edge....I drive about 75 miles "one-way" 3X a week to work....IF I go someplace else...More miles..Yep...I live so far from town...the birds have got to pack a lunch to make it to the highway....In all these various conditions I see 23.6 on the car computer...most the time..I hardly ever reset it....I did on a little trip and it says 26.2...another time I did not and it went to 25.0 and stayed there for days....No matter where I went....I think this computer item just records big events and calculates on that...To Note This: Since I live way out...Yes!...More ways than one...I "can it" most the time....Being I have a bunch of 5 gallon cans at my place and I top off from there....I've noted that often the car doesn't even noticed I put in 4 gallons of gas and often doesn't "compute"......I find it takes maybe near 6+ gallons to activate.....My thought:.. the computer doesn't mean much...You want real figures you got to compute by hand....BUT be sure your odometer is close ..first....My pet theory: The tire size variable...Ford got their CAFE numbers based on what?...they offer 2 different tires in 07..now 3X for 08....Guys aftermarket them to any number of combinations.....You see my point...OR ..is it all babble??...So many variables...speed, conditions, driver/car.....Summation:...I got this car...It works good for me....I've had one two bit fix....I"m NOT at this point pulling the trigger over....Gas mileage....OR...Since I really don't know what ..IT really is....Ignorance is Bliss.....Momma says...it's why I'm so ...................Happy.... :shift: .............Sr....

Better then 2200 miles on a month old 2007 Edge FWD, got over 400 miles down on this tank and the computer is telling me I need to think of filling up. This same computer is telling me I am 40 miles left to empty. Guess what I am pulling a Seinfeld and going the distance cause right now the computer is saying I am averaging 21.8 mpg and I think my gas tank with filler extension is better then 19 gallons cause everytime I fill her up I can add approx 2 more gallons of fuel from first cut out almost to spill out.

Wish me luck cause I am riding or going to ride on fumes :) !!!! I got to find out what my tank capacity is and what my mpg on this fill up is. BTW about 80% hwy at 60-70 mph with A/C on and soft on the acelerations. The key is no jack rabbiting. Mileage is constantly improving and I love this car.

We had 1000 miles on the Edge when we left for the gulf coast last week; going through Kentucky, Tennessee and Alabama. I hit the interstate and had the cruise set at 80 and got 21.5 MPG. It's going in for the first oil change this week. I love the way it rides and I love the way you sit, a bunch different from being in my Mark VIII.

I am looking at trading in my wifes 2005 F150 Supercrew King Ranch on an Edge SEL+ FWD. After 2 years of aftermarket add ons to the F150, I have finally got the MPG from 14 to 18 MPG. But the wife hates parking the truck and wants better gas mileage.

So what is everyone getting for gas mileage. Any posts will be great. We have all but signed the papers to order one, the MPG is kind of the last factor. My wife usually drives highway only miles here in Iowa. So there is no stop and go traffic and she does very little city driving.

I bought on oct 10, 2007. Drove 195 miles home from dealer and filled up with 10.0 Gallons. Drove 85-95 mph

with AC on. That's 19.5 mpg under severe circumstances. Pretty Good I think.

• 4 weeks later...

You guys/gals are killing me. Seems no one wants to hear the bad news.

Ok its been a month since my last post.

I've recorded 13 fills and recorded the mileage etc... Actually my formula was wrong because one fill up would be 14MPG and another would be 19MPG.

I corrected the problem and now my average over the 13 fills is 16.79MPG.

I have noticed that if you keep the RPM's under 2,500 and keep your speed between 40 - 65 mph the MPG goes up. Which means I have to drive like I'm in my 80's. Difficult commuting around the Boston suburbs that way.

I've also noticed that using cruise control on the highways helps. However traffic conditions would have to allow using the cruise. Commuter traffic is not ideal for cruise.

My next test will be to measure the MPG when the AC is not running. Seems in this forum many have commented on this.

My fundamental problem is the discrepancy. I have completely given up with the onboard computer displays. The computer always says I'm getting 18mpg or 19mpg when in actuality I'm getting 16.79.

I have to run the vehicle down to fumes to get even close to the 340 - 350 "Miles to Empty". I mean I need to run it down to under 30 miles until empty for any results.

Also, I went on a four hour 225 mile trip where I recorded 20 MPG and the computer said I was at 19.2. I reset the values after each fill-up. So, the computer is not calibrated correctly.

I understand I'm running an AWD version, I would have thought the Ford Engineers would have made the fuel tank 22 or 24 gallons given the loss of MPG. I'm sick and tired of filling this vehicle twice a week.

I have noticed the tire pressure light coming on when travelling over 75mph. My wife has a ford and she has had the same problem.

I will be back next month with the MPG w/o AC running.

• 2 months later...

Just completed a 2400 mile trip to West Palm Beach and return in my 2007 Edge. Kept acturate mileage divided by gallons figures and arrived at 21 MPG for the trip. The computer at times showed 25-26 while rolling down I-95. I do not believe those figures to be accurate. As my Edge continues to break in (only has 5200 miles on the odometer) I expect to improve the MPG by 1 or 2 MPG.

Morgan

Just completed a 2400 mile trip to West Palm Beach and return in my 2007 Edge. Kept acturate mileage divided by gallons figures and arrived at 21 MPG for the trip. The computer at times showed 25-26 while rolling down I-95. I do not believe those figures to be accurate. As my Edge continues to break in (only has 5200 miles on the odometer) I expect to improve the MPG by 1 or 2 MPG.

Morgan

The computer is very accurate - usually within 0.5 mpg. But you have to remember to reset it when you fill up and understand it's giving you a real time average since you last reset it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Close to 12,000 miles on my FWD 2007 Edge and just did a trip from Laurel MD to Chesapeke Va , Drove 346 miles and required 15.45 gallons to top/spill out of tank just as Ihad filled it up. The Speed when rolling down 95 S at 75 mph and I had the A/C on. It was windy going down and I stopped in Williamsburg and drove around to find a place to eat for the night. OK my trip computer said 23.4 mpg and if you figure it out exactly its 22.4 mpg which is what I normally discount by 1-2 mpg from what the computer reads out. I have stoped babying this car around as I have owned her since Sept 2007 and I drive for a living. These are good gas figures as this car loves the hwy and on my way back I had her in cruise control most of the way till I hit heavy traffic getting back into DC, ran about 23.5-24 mpg till I hit stop and go stuff around DC. Best of luck to you all.

I have passed 3K miles (around 3500 miles on it now or so) and the engine is fairly broken in.

Highway (100%) with large hills (Kentucky) using cruise control when possible = 23.5MPG - 24.5MPG Computer and 23.0 MPG - 23.5 MPG Calculated

City (100%) minor/little hills, max top speed 45MPH, no stretches longer than 2 miles 18.5 -19.5 MPG Computer and 17.0 - 17.5 MPG Calcualated

Combined 60% Highway 40% City - 19-21 MPG Computer 18-20 Calculated.

I have noticed with the BAMR open (full) the MPG goes down ~0.5 - 1.0 MPG.

With the compressor (A/C and defrost) running, I noticed ~1.0 - 1.5MPG drop as well.

With snow I have noticed a HUGH drop in MPG (front/read defrost on 100%, City only driving, minimal wheel slippage), MPG=17.5 per computer (not calculated yet, still ~17" of snow on ground).

Our temps here have had highs from 65F and lows of 0F. Gotta love the midwest.

I use Shell only gasoline. I use 100% synthetic 5w20 oil.

These are ONLY my records and observations and should be viewed as such.

Solas

• 2 weeks later...

You need to reset the mpg readout at each fill up for it to register somewhat accurately. So far in about a month and a half ownership we see about 24mpg strictly hwy cruising at about 70mph and a cumulitive of about 80%hwy/20%local falls in around 21.8 mpg. This is mostly with my wife driving to and from work about 30 miles a day on an 08 Edge SEL FWD.

Considering the weight of the vehicle and the horse power I think the mileage is pretty good and am happy with it. This baby will get up and move if you want it to and impressed me and my daily driver is a 300hp Chevy Avalanche.

On the subject of break in, there is very little break in on new engines of today and usually within the first 500 miles the break in is complete. Somewhat a subject of controversy on easy or hard break in, I chose to break in ours hard initially. I have rebuilt a few engines and found that works best.

Edited by TN-EdgeSEL