TPMS error on 2011 Edge how annoying?

HalBran

I'm still debating to install TPMS sensors on my winter 18" wheels and tires. I know that I'll get some kind of warning/error if I don't install those, anyone have experience with this warning/error? How annoying is it?

I'm asking this because with the new 2011 myFordTouch errors seem to be way different than the standard light in the dash.

Thanks for your input.

Edited by HalBran

I'm still debating to install TPMS sensors on my winter 18" wheels and tires. I know that I'll get some kind of warning/error if I don't install those, anyone have experience with this warning/error? How annoying is it?

I'm asking this because with the new 2011 myFordTouch errors seem to be way different than the standard light in the dash.

Thanks for your input.

I've only had my 07 Edge since April and just bought some winter tires and rims. I'm embarassed to say i didn't know it had a TPMS.

Within 10 kms the error kicked in and i'm off to the tire shop to have some sensors put in as i'm not willing to put up with the (!) lit

on my dash and the warning in the message center every winter.... :hysterical:

I liked my Bonneville's TPMS....all you had to do was reset it between summer and winter tires.....

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your input.

Just a Bump to resurface this question as I was wondering the same thing. People with 2010's or older seem to be fine with the TPMS warning, but we're wondering what the waring is like on the Mytouch. Anyone running winters with no TPMS and mytouch? $200 for sensors seems a bit steep. My last 2 cars had this as well and I didn't bother adding them to my winters, but it was just a little light to be annoying. Not a full computer and 4" screen.

Thanks!

Just a Bump to resurface this question as I was wondering the same thing. People with 2010's or older seem to be fine with the TPMS warning, but we're wondering what the waring is like on the Mytouch. Anyone running winters with no TPMS and mytouch? $200 for sensors seems a bit steep. My last 2 cars had this as well and I didn't bother adding them to my winters, but it was just a little light to be annoying. Not a full computer and 4" screen.

Thanks!

When my tire went flat from a nail puncture, I had the warning. Not sure if this is the same as is displayed when no sensor is found. It's in the left 4inch screen. It can be OK'd and dismissed, but you have to do that every startup.

• 2 weeks later...

When my tire went flat from a nail puncture, I had the warning. Not sure if this is the same as is displayed when no sensor is found. It's in the left 4inch screen. It can be OK'd and dismissed, but you have to do that every startup.

I have a 2010 and last week put on winter tires on 17" steel rims, original equipped 18"

I get no warning on the dash or beep, nothing. Do I have an issue with my TPMS?

Dealers wanted $400 for the tire sensors (Canada)

One Ford dealer said they would not sell me winter tires unless I have the sensors installed. I said

I don't want the sensors and would live with the light on the dash. Was told it was a dealer policy.

I guess they also try and sell nitrogen in the tires and glass etching saying the same thing, dealer policy you have to buy it, I don't think so

I buy what I want to buy, not told what I have to buy as an assessory

I should add the light for the TPMS on the dash is on before start up and goes out after start up.

Edited by 1duFos

I have a 2010 and last week put on winter tires on 17" steel rims, original equipped 18"

One Ford dealer said they would not sell me winter tires unless I have the sensors installed. I said

I don't want the sensors and would live with the light on the dash. Was told it was a dealer policy.

I guess they also try and sell nitrogen in the tires and glass etching saying the same thing, dealer policy you have to buy it, I don't think so

I should add the light for the TPMS on the dash is on before start up and goes out after start up.

Hi 1duFos. :D If you check the Tire/TPMS section of the Owners Manual, it explains how the system works. The vehicle must be driven some distance before the warning will illuminate. It varies by situation, but if I recall correctly, it can be 20 minutes or more in some cases. And this is the case each time you restart the car. The Manual explains it much better than I can in a short reply.

If you have routinely driven for more than 20-30 minutes straight since the wheel swap, then you may have a TPMS system error. If that is the case, then you should schedule a service appointment for diagnosis.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Just wait, the warning will come.

Dealers can be held liable for disabling a safety device. You wouldn't expect the dealer to remove your seat belt for you and give you back the car would you?

Hi 1duFos. :D If you check the Tire/TPMS section of the Owners Manual, it explains how the system works. The vehicle must be driven some distance before the warning will illuminate. It varies by situation, but if I recall correctly, it can be 20 minutes or more in some cases. And this is the case each time you restart the car. The Manual explains it much better than I can in a short reply.

If you have routinely driven for more than 20-30 minutes straight since the wheel swap, then you may have a TPMS system error. If that is the case, then you should schedule a service appointment for diagnosis.

Good luck. :beerchug:

I will check the manual, also heard it takes about 10 - 20 minutes of driving before the light should come on, my wife drives the car and her drive to work is about 20 minutes, maybe slightly less.

Thanks for your help.

Just wait, the warning will come.

Dealers can be held liable for disabling a safety device. You wouldn't expect the dealer to remove your seat belt for you and give you back the car would you?

The dealer is not disabling a safety devise, it still works if the light comes on. Why do all dealers I asked about winter tires with no sensors say you must have the sensors, except 1 dealer .

Waiting for the light to come on can be too late to do anything about the low tire pressure and cause a blow out. So I could drive with a low tire pressure and not know it because the light may take time to come on? Wheres the safety. Maybe I am reading all of this wrong so please correct me.

The manual says

WARNING The tire pressure monitoring system is NOT a substitute for manually checking tire pressure. The tire pressure should be checked periodically (at least once a month) using a tire gauge. The warning removes them from being liable.

Is it possible the monitoring system could fail and not warn you of low air pressure? If it fails and have an accident because of a low pressure can I go after Ford for damages? I don't think so..correct me if I am wrong. The manual says nothing about driving for a period of time or distance after installing tires with no sensors for the light to come on.

Its still your decision to remove seat belts if thats what you want. Manufactures are mandated to install safety belts as a safety measure, after you buy the car you can do what ever you want with the car and the manufacturer would not be responsible for your actions. Your right they won't remove them. If I drive without wearing the seat belt and have an accident and injure myself because of not wearing it can I go after the manufacture, of course not. Its all about paranoia. squeeze more money out of us by telling us dealers will be liable.

Let the debate continue

The dealer is not disabling a safety devise, it still works if the light comes on. Why do all dealers I asked about winter tires with no sensors say you must have the sensors, except 1 dealer .

Waiting for the light to come on can be too late to do anything about the low tire pressure and cause a blow out. So I could drive with a low tire pressure and not know it because the light may take time to come on? Wheres the safety. Maybe I am reading all of this wrong so please correct me.

The manual says

WARNING The tire pressure monitoring system is NOT a substitute for manually checking tire pressure. The tire pressure should be checked periodically (at least once a month) using a tire gauge. The warning removes them from being liable.

Is it possible the monitoring system could fail and not warn you of low air pressure? If it fails and have an accident because of a low pressure can I go after Ford for damages? I don't think so..correct me if I am wrong. The manual says nothing about driving for a period of time or distance after installing tires with no sensors for the light to come on.

Its still your decision to remove seat belts if thats what you want. Manufactures are mandated to install safety belts as a safety measure, after you buy the car you can do what ever you want with the car and the manufacturer would not be responsible for your actions. Your right they won't remove them. If I drive without wearing the seat belt and have an accident and injure myself because of not wearing it can I go after the manufacture, of course not. Its all about paranoia. squeeze more money out of us by telling us dealers will be liable.

Let the debate continue

If YOU do something to your car then nobody else can be held accountable. If the dealer (or any other business) knowingly sells you tires without the TPMS sensors and you have an accident due to low tire pressure then the dealer could and would be held liable. I don't see how you can blame the dealer for not opening themselves up to a lawsuit. If you want to blame someone blame the gov't for making them mandatory.

The 20 minute delay is when the sensor is not installed. If the sensor is installed and you have low pressure or you get a faulty reading then you get the light immediately - no delay.

• 2 weeks later...

I wondered about the TPMS sensors when I contemplated buying my tires from the Tire Rack. My biggest fear was that there was going to be a 4 inch brightly coloured warning staring me in the face. Due to the fact that in Canada there is no law making these devices mandatory, I took a chance and ordered them without. After the tires without the sensors were installed I did get a 4" warning in the left hand dash display......but this can be immediately eliminated by acknowledging the warning by pressing OK on the steering wheel. There is also a small yellow symbol of a of a deflated tire that illuminates at the bottom of the display closer to the center of the steering wheel. Even though this remains lit (and cannot be turned off) it was not a distraction to me. A trick that has been used by owners of previous model years was to place a 1/2 inch square of electrical tape over this symbol to block it from view. I thought, what the heck I'll try to do the same and see if the tape itself was an eyesore. After applying the tape I was surprised at how effective this was. The tape is almost invisible against the black instrument panel. Bottom line for me is that I saved 175+ for the sensors and 30+ for the tool that you would need to reset the TPMS computer when switching back to summer tires. Problem solved. :happy feet: I feel it necessary to point out that these safety devices do provide a service for those individuals who may choose not to maintain proper tire pressure on a regular basis. As a person who's been driving for close to 35 years, I do maintain my vehicle and don't need a computer to remind me of service that is second nature to me.