Edge vs MKX

martcouz

Although this wont change much in my case because my MKX is already ordered, but I would like to hear some of you on the main differences between the Edge and the MKX( other than the obvious such as the exterior finish)? From what I understand, the MKX comes fully loaded as the Edge requires selecting options.

But is there any differences in the parts that they use to build the 2 cars? For example, are the brakes supposed to be better? Is the interior material of superior quality? Or are Lincoln buyers simply paying more for the exact same thing?? The question is worth being brought up as the 2 vehicules look so much alike...

There's a lot of differences, some of them pretty subtle like thicker glass, (significantly) higher quality leather, genuine wood/aluminum accents, thicker carpeting, special air filtering, longer warranty, no-charge maintenance. Overall it a major difference but you would need to drive both to appreciate a lot of it.

You can get the whole package of features that aren't available on any one Edge trim level if they are available at all. Some of those are adaptive headlights (HID), cooled and heated seats (rear outboard are also heated), THXII 600 something watt 14 speaker sound system, 3.7 l engine, halogen interior lighting, power tilt / telescope, passenger 10 way power seats, LED tail lamps, independent adjustable arm rests, collision alert, power folding seats.

My Edge has power folding seats.

Isn't collision alert a part of adaptive cruise control on the Edge?

I believe that is it, Collision Alert uses the same front radar as the adaptive cruise. I got a chance to test that this weekend. I took a 100 mile or so ride in the country and had cruise set and came upon a vehicle going less than I was (I was within speed limit) and it did slow down and maintain the gap, when vehicle turned off it sped back to original setting.

My Edge has power folding seats.

It does? I didn't see that as an option, or I would've ordered it! I did order the Limited... is it standard there?

To be clear, we're talking about a button that takes the back seat down & brings it back up again, not just a release button that drops them down, correct? Our Expedition has this feature, and it's nice.

It does? I didn't see that as an option, or I would've ordered it! I did order the Limited... is it standard there?

To be clear, we're talking about a button that takes the back seat down & brings it back up again, not just a release button that drops them down, correct? Our Expedition has this feature, and it's nice.

The button only drops the seats.

In a lot of the media lately about the re-making of Lincoln, one of the items that has come up a lot is the similarilties between Lincolns and Fords, and Lincoln buyers are paying more for the same thing. Similarly, when I bought my Edge at a FLM dealership, my wife looked at an MKX and the sales guy said he doesn't understand why people buy it for 10k more for basically the exact same thing. He even said he steers people towards the Edge rather than the MKX.

Now.... from reading prior posts, it seems as if there are some differences that people may care about. From what I recall, the Lincoln had controls that you slide your finger along a line, that neither the salesman nor my wife liked.

With Fords having new technologies, FOMOCO faces the problem of differentiating Lincoln. It may be even a greater challenge when Ford and Lincoln are in the same building and buyers can see the similarities/differences much easier.

...the sales guy said he doesn't understand why people buy it for 10k more for basically the exact same thing...

I guess you could ask the same question about Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infinity or Chevy/Buick/Cadillac.

We ordered an MKX not because it was $10K more than the Edge, but because it was $5-15K less expensive than comparable CUV's from BMW, Audi, Lexus, Infinity, LR, VW, etc...

And it was built by a North American company that isn't owned by the government.

I guess you could ask the same question about Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infinity or Chevy/Buick/Cadillac.

We ordered an MKX not because it was $10K more than the Edge, but because it was $5-15K less expensive than comparable CUV's from BMW, Audi, Lexus, Infinity, LR, VW, etc...

And it was built by a North American company that isn't owned by the government.

Very good choice!!!

I went with Edge over MKX because of the grill! (I'm kinda shallow though)

After I ordered my Edge Limited I sat in an MKX and I was pleasantly surprised. I'll put my 2c pros and 2c cons in here:

-I like the MKX grille quite a bit more than Edge's

-I really dig the heated steering wheel with wood, although I do not like the wood trim in general.

-Significant better leather seats.

-Very nice leather dashboard

-Nicer taillights

-Decent 20" rims without chrome - I find the 20''s from the Edge horrible - that's why I ordered 18"

-Very nice aluminum trim especially the bronze one.

However and although the upgrade would have cost me only 5-6k at the time in Canada:

-I don't consider the engine upgrade significant enough. Why they did not put the Ecoboost V6, even slightly detuned in Sport and MKX is beyond me. (maybe too expensive?)

-I consider the Sony piano black center stack in the Limited more upscale than the one in MKX which is just slightly better than in Edge SEL

-The hatch door alignment tolerances are way off for a luxury brand...worse than a Hyundai Sonata and this for 80% of a dozen MKX I looked at.

-The Lincolns are sold in the same dealership as Ford and I've been in a several luxury dealerships - it's a totally different vibe.

-I expected the Auto Park feature from the MKT to be present in the '11 MKX too

-Overall I would buy a Q5 over a MKX for the same money - call me a snob but I consider the brand cachet way higher for an Audi plus I consider it a better exterior design

Edited by dr00x

After I ordered my Edge Limited I sat in an MKX and I was pleasantly surprised. I'll put my 2c pros and 2c cons in here:

-I really dig the heated steering wheel with wood, although I do not like the wood trim in general.

-Nicer taillights

-Decent 20" rims without chrome - I find the 20''s from the Edge horrible - that's why I ordered 18"

However and although the upgrade would have cost me only 5-6k at the time in Canada:

-I don't consider the engine upgrade significant enough. Why they did not put the Ecoboost V6, even slightly detuned in Sport and MKX is beyond me. (maybe too expensive?)

-I consider the Sony piano black center stack in the Limited more upscale than the one in MKX which is just slightly better than in Edge SEL

-The hatch door alignment tolerances are way off for a luxury brand...worse than a Hyundai Sonata and this for 80% of a dozen MKX I looked at.

-The Lincolns are sold in the same dealership as Ford and I've been in a several luxury dealerships - it's a totally different vibe.

-Overall I would buy a Q5 over a MKX for the same money - call me a snob but I consider the brand cachet way higher for an Audi plus I consider it a better exterior design

The MKX is just a mid cycle refresh. I don't think the chassis can take the 3.5L Ecoboost torque. Remember they had to essentially rebuild the Taurus/MKS/MKT/Flex front clip to handle that kind of power. I expect to see that for the next version which may be on an entirely new platform.

-Nicer taillights

Audi Q5 is a POS that blows through trannys every 30k miles. Check with any Audi service tech.

Very good choice!!!

I went with Edge over MKX because of the grill! (I'm kinda shallow though)

I would have gone for the Lincoln if it had the Edge grill too.

Really? I would love the MKX grill, but couldn't justify the $10k. I like the interior of the Edge much, much better anyway. Not a fan of the gold/brown console.

Really? I would love the MKX grill, but couldn't justify the $10k. I like the interior of the Edge much, much better anyway. Not a fan of the gold/brown console.

That's me exactly. LOVE the MKX grill; couldn't justify the cost-jump for the few things I liked better (cooled seats??... bring it!!)