New To Ford, Edge, the works

gribfib

I've never owned a Ford before, but have just purchased and received a 2011 Edge Limited FWD (Bordeaux Red/Black interior). They don't sell many 4WD versions here in South Florida. I was upgrading from a Honda Civic coupe as my family is expanding and I needed a vehicle that was more car seat (and wife) compatible. It has rapid spec 302a plus the blind spot warning system and the 20" wheels. Before the purchase I tested most everything in the category and asked questions of people in parking lots everywhere; without fail Edge owners seemed happiest, including an older couple who drove theirs down from Montreal with no complaints. This, coupled with the dramatic changes in the 2011 model, led to my purchase.

By the way, the single best thing I did was cough up the $14 for the Consumer Reports info on the car. I ended up getting the Edge for less than even CR's "bottom line price" and likely saved a few thousand bucks vs. going in cold.

IMPRESSIONS:

1. I'll miss the Civic's fuel economy – we still have (and love) a Honda Element, and even that gets better mileage than the Edge – but there's clearly no comparison in terms of luxury, tech features, etc. It's a different universe. Swanky.

2. Speaking of tech – I'm very much an Apple guy (I do a lot of design work) but for the most part I'm happy with the Microsoft Sync gadgetry. Touch sensitive buttons? Eh, those I could live without. And while my iPhone 4 works well for calls, bluetooth audio (music) is very buggy and does not connect consistently, as noted elsewhere on this site. It's rather frustrating. USB audio works fine, but then the phone is constantly being charged, and that's not a good thing from a battery life perspective. I'm considering going to simple RCA plugs as I did in my old car; I don't think I'd be using the center console to navigate through my iPhone music anyway, too distracting. Hopefully a software update will fix the Bluetooth audio issue.

3. I can't get the remote start to function. Every other remote function works well – it's weird but cool to never have to take your keys out of your pocket, or to simply touch the door handle to lock it, etc. But remote start (press lock then the remote start button twice) refuses to work.

4. Everything else – spot on, so far. LOVE the console, love the "quiet" (Hondas are noisy), love the sunroof (something I had but didn't like on the Civic), love how well constructed it feels (apart from the matt by the dead pedal area, which is a tad loose), love the navigation (although it would be nice if the system told you what side of the street your destination is on). Overall very happy... so far!

I've never owned a Ford before, but have just purchased and received a 2011 Edge Limited FWD (Bordeaux Red/Black interior). They don't sell many 4WD versions here in South Florida. I was upgrading from a Honda Civic coupe as my family is expanding and I needed a vehicle that was more car seat (and wife) compatible. It has rapid spec 302a plus the blind spot warning system and the 20" wheels. Before the purchase I tested most everything in the category and asked questions of people in parking lots everywhere; without fail Edge owners seemed happiest, including an older couple who drove theirs down from Montreal with no complaints. This, coupled with the dramatic changes in the 2011 model, led to my purchase.

By the way, the single best thing I did was cough up the $14 for the Consumer Reports info on the car. I ended up getting the Edge for less than even CR's "bottom line price" and likely saved a few thousand bucks vs. going in cold.

IMPRESSIONS:

1. I'll miss the Civic's fuel economy – we still have (and love) a Honda Element, and even that gets better mileage than the Edge – but there's clearly no comparison in terms of luxury, tech features, etc. It's a different universe. Swanky.

2. Speaking of tech – I'm very much an Apple guy (I do a lot of design work) but for the most part I'm happy with the Microsoft Sync gadgetry. Touch sensitive buttons? Eh, those I could live without. And while my iPhone 4 works well for calls, bluetooth audio (music) is very buggy and does not connect consistently, as noted elsewhere on this site. It's rather frustrating. USB audio works fine, but then the phone is constantly being charged, and that's not a good thing from a battery life perspective. I'm considering going to simple RCA plugs as I did in my old car; I don't think I'd be using the center console to navigate through my iPhone music anyway, too distracting. Hopefully a software update will fix the Bluetooth audio issue.

3. I can't get the remote start to function. Every other remote function works well – it's weird but cool to never have to take your keys out of your pocket, or to simply touch the door handle to lock it, etc. But remote start (press lock then the remote start button twice) refuses to work.

4. Everything else – spot on, so far. LOVE the console, love the "quiet" (Hondas are noisy), love the sunroof (something I had but didn't like on the Civic), love how well constructed it feels (apart from the matt by the dead pedal area, which is a tad loose), love the navigation (although it would be nice if the system told you what side of the street your destination is on). Overall very happy... so far!

I just took delivery of my 2011. Same color, but Stone interior. I agree with everything you stated, including the SYNC system being a little buggy, but I really did not expect anything more from Microsoft....At least I have not gotten any blue screens yet. The only two things I don't like are the plastic chrome wheel covers, and the fact that the vertical LED's in the grill do not function as Daytime Running lights.

2. Speaking of tech – I'm very much an Apple guy (I do a lot of design work) but for the most part I'm happy with the Microsoft Sync gadgetry.

I don't think the MyTouch interface is Microsoft. I think it's Adobe Flash running on top of Windows. It's more like a Ford app on a Windows O/S with windows providing the device connectivity and certain features like voice recognition. But I think most of it is Ford software which is why other companies won't just be able to buy a fully functioning Sync from MS.

I just took delivery of my 2011. Same color, but Stone interior. I agree with everything you stated, including the SYNC system being a little buggy, but I really did not expect anything more from Microsoft....At least I have not gotten any blue screens yet. The only two things I don't like are the plastic chrome wheel covers, and the fact that the vertical LED's in the grill do not function as Daytime Running lights.

I originally wanted stone – this is Florida after all, and dark seats will get hot – but, as my mom pointed out, dark seats won't stain as noticeably should the baby puke on them. :-)

IMPRESSIONS:

Glad to hear your happy for the most part. I am also in SF and have black on black. It is fine in terms of heat. Get that remote start working and you will never get in a hot car again.

Also, if you have the SD card nav in your car then it will sometimes tell you your final destination location on left or right. It depends on if it is registered that way in their database. I usually tells me, "your final destination is 200 feet on your left" or something like that.

The remote start icon would have you believe that all you have to do is press the button twice. That's not it. What you have to do is:

1) Press the lock button once

2) (within 3 seconds) Press the start button

3) (within 3 seconds) Press the start button a 2nd time.

Hope that helps. Congrats on your new ride. Did you get cooled seats? That would be sweet in Florida! I have an MKX on order with that option; I can't wait to try them out.

Also, if you have the SD card nav in your car then it will sometimes tell you your final destination location on left or right. It depends on if it is registered that way in their database. I usually tells me, "your final destination is 200 feet on your left" or something like that.

Sadly not, for whatever reason! Alas.

• 1 month later...

the Lincoln version does... not ford.

I'm sure the air conditioned seats will be avail soon on the Edge...my 2009 F150 Platinum had them and I do miss them here in SoCal. Leather can get hot - even with the AC roaring!

I've had a different experience with my remote start feature. I lock the Edge x2 then hit remote start x 2 and it starts right up. I'm having issues with the Nav/MyTouch feature, for some reason the system wont recognize the Ford factory SD card so it appears it doesn't even have Nav (I had to bring in the Window Sticker so my dealer would believe it had come with the factory Nav system). So far it's only been the Synch voice (and very limited graphics) which are very dismal compared to the DVD based Nav system on my '09 Platinum. We tried a new SD Card out of another 2011 Edge on the dealer's lot and it didn't recognize that card either...almost acts as if the Nav feature isn't activated or something? My LFD is not really equipped to deal with this new MyTouch system yet....

• 4 months later...

The remote start icon would have you believe that all you have to do is press the button twice. That's not it. What you have to do is:

1) Press the lock button once

2) (within 3 seconds) Press the start button

3) (within 3 seconds) Press the start button a 2nd time.

Hope that helps. Congrats on your new ride. Did you get cooled seats? That would be sweet in Florida! I have an MKX on order with that option; I can't wait to try them out.

Thanks. That is very helpful to know. I find it interesting that the remote start option (in the 302A package) is not highlighted very well. I had to dive into the details to realize that it is included as part of the package. It seems to me that the 302A package overall is a good deal (I believe rain sensing wipers are also included in the 302A, no?)