Add nav to a 2011 with myford touch?

Got a call from the dealer tonight. They were able to "fix" the other limited that was also not accepting the SD card today. They said it should take 5-6 hours to "fix" the problem (slow download). Made an appointment for Wednesday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will report back with the results. I WANT MY NAV TO WORK!!!!

Wow! So the only requirement would be to download/install another software version? 5-6 hours seems awfully long for a download! Are you sure no hardware addition/modification is required?

thanks for keeping us updated as you go along!

Wow! So the only requirement would be to download/install another software version? 5-6 hours seems awfully long for a download! Are you sure no hardware addition/modification is required?

thanks for keeping us updated as you go along!

Please note that pellefson ordered his vehicle with the Nav option - it just doesn't work. This is totally different than someone buying it without the Nav option and trying to add it later.

And the 5-6 hour delay I believe is mostly downloading the correct files from Ford and that depends on the dealer's computer and internet connection.

Edited by akirby

NAV update. Took 4 hours and we've got our NAV !!! One minor issue, after getting home and trying to sync my phone, the "system" locked up. After turning the car off and back on, had a blank screen for about 3 minutes and I was freaking out, finally there was a message on the screen that said System update in progress, Sync/Microsoft. After about 2-3 minutes, we were back in action. Whew!

• Like 1

What I have learned to date is that the Nav system sw comes embedded in the vehicle and your LFD can activate it. It requires you purchase the Ford SD card for $795, install it and the dealer activates the Nav option. I have researched this as my 2011 Edge Limited came with factory Nav (have the SD card and everything) yet it was not activated so I have no Nav! I wanted to research BEFORE I take it into my LFD as they are really struggling with this new MyTouch system and don't have the answers yet. I'm taking it in soon for the fix and will post my results.

So it looks like some dealers are not aware of the fact that they can turn any MFT equipped EDGE w/o Nav option into fully functional Nav enabled and add another $795 to the bottom line. When i was shopping for my EDGE earlier this month, I found one vehicle that i really liked (options/color), but it didn't have "NAV" option listed on the sticker. I let the dealer know that it would be a deal-breaker for me and even asked both sales guy and his manager if there's anyway NAV can be installed, and offered to pay for the option. They both said absolutely not, and lost a sale as a result. i guess all they had to do was to ask one of their technicians for advice.

So it looks like some dealers are not aware of the fact that they can turn any MFT equipped EDGE w/o Nav option into fully functional Nav enabled and add another $795 to the bottom line. When i was shopping for my EDGE earlier this month, I found one vehicle that i really liked (options/color), but it didn't have "NAV" option listed on the sticker. I let the dealer know that it would be a deal-breaker for me and even asked both sales guy and his manager if there's anyway NAV can be installed, and offered to pay for the option. They both said absolutely not, and lost a sale as a result. i guess all they had to do was to ask one of their technicians for advice.

For the 57th time - the dealer can only activate it if it was installed at the factory. The dealers do not have the ability to install it and activate it later.

If and when Ford decides to make that option available to dealers to do this aftermarket there will be a factory SD Nav option. There isn't one yet. End of story.

• Like 1

I emailed Ford about this. Here is the response:

Robert,

Thank you for your email in regards to SYNC. The ability to add navigation is an option that Ford is entertaining for the future. At this time there has not been any formal announcement made on when or if this will be offered. Please continue to work with your dealer, they will inform you when the feature is made available.

Sincerely,

James

Ford Motor Company

SYNC Support Center

Edited by willy779
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

NAV update. Took 4 hours and we've got our NAV !!! One minor issue, after getting home and trying to sync my phone, the "system" locked up. After turning the car off and back on, had a blank screen for about 3 minutes and I was freaking out, finally there was a message on the screen that said System update in progress, Sync/Microsoft. After about 2-3 minutes, we were back in action. Whew!

Hello Pellefsen,

We just bought a 2011 Edge Limited with mytouch etc..

It came with the maps SD card but it doesn't look like the navigation application is installed at all.

You put the card in and it does nothing.

Do you have any tips on what to tell the dealer on how to fix it? My dealer checked it out for a couple hours then said they would have to research it further.

• 1 month later...

Just got off the horn with my Ford Dealer north of Toronto. The SD card for the Navi upgrade is being shipped to the Dealership now. Cost to me is 220.00 CAD + shipping. I already have MFT on my 2011.

I'll let everyone know how the upgrade goes and what if any issues it has on the Sync, I got my Edge in late Decmeber and no software bugs whatsoever on the Sync. Hopefully the Nav software doesn't choke it

• 1 month later...

Just got off the horn with my Ford Dealer north of Toronto. The SD card for the Navi upgrade is being shipped to the Dealership now. Cost to me is 220.00 CAD + shipping. I already have MFT on my 2011.

I'll let everyone know how the upgrade goes and what if any issues it has on the Sync, I got my Edge in late Decmeber and no software bugs whatsoever on the Sync. Hopefully the Nav software doesn't choke it

Hi, any update on this?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure it's only software to get the Nav installed on MFT.

It looks like there are two unique files required for Nav system, BT4T-14F500-BE and BT4T-14F603-AM.

I'm guessing if you can figure out a way to get these installed on the MFT, you're good to go.

Not without the SD card that holds the map data.

• 1 month later...

Is there any update on this? Has anyone ordered a card off of eBay and gotten their dealer to activate the Nav portion of MyFord Touch, as some have implied they can?

Nobody here has reported success and the Ford employees are still saying it's not available. I suspect all available resources have been put into fixing the bugs and rewriting MFT and they haven't gotten around to making it a stand alone option that the dealer can install.

New to the forum and first time Edge owner.

Hate to be so dumb but I have a "dumb" question concerning the NAV system.

The Edge we purchased is an SEL with the 201A and 202A option packages. I was under the impression from reading around prior to buying the car that those packages include navigation. The dealer I purchased through had to locate the car from another dealer to find the color I wanted and bless his heart, the salesman is a little long in the tooth and wasn't sure what the car had.

It does have the SD card slot in the console. With the 201A/202A packages does this car have navigation?

The Edge we purchased is an SEL with the 201A and 202A option packages. I was under the impression from reading around prior to buying the car that those packages include navigation. The dealer I purchased through had to locate the car from another dealer to find the color I wanted and bless his heart, the salesman is a little long in the tooth and wasn't sure what the car had.

It does have the SD card slot in the console. With the 201A/202A packages does this car have navigation?

It's just the 202A package which includes everything in the 201A package. Nav was optional not standard but if you have the SD card then you should have Navigation. You should have a navigation menu option (map/destination/etc.).

Do you have the Nav option in the upper right corner of the 8" Touch screen?

Is there a SD card in the SD slot? The navigation will not work unless you have the map data plugged into the SD slot.

If Navigation is enabled and you have no card, you should be getting warning messages.

Is there a SD card in the SD slot? The navigation will not work unless you have the map data plugged into the SD slot.

If Navigation is enabled and you have no card, you should be getting warning messages.

It does have the SD card slot in the console.

The top right corner of the screen has the "i" symbol so I guess it doesn't have Nav even though there is an SD card slot.

Second stupid question.

What is the difference between NAV and the Sync turn by turn (or whatever they call it)