Add nav to a 2011 with myford touch?

Any chance you can point us to that article?

I can't find the article I saw a few days ago but re-reading some of the press releases I think I have to backtrack here.

What Ford seems to have advertised is that the SD card based Navigation was a $795 upgrade over MFT - which I think I and others interpreted to mean it could be added later. But I think Ford was simply implying that it was an option that could be added at the factory.

So I don't think there was any implication that it could be added later by Ford - those were just assumptions and/or wishful thinking on our part.

is this the article you are referring to? Navigation Standard "At the 2010 CES show today, Ford announced today that it will offer navigation as standard on all Ford vehicles with MyFord and SYNC – well, almost. Ford says that its new Secure Digital (SD) card based navigation requires no extra hardware upgrades. So all you’ll have to do is purchase an upgradeable Secure Digital (SD) card-based navigation, which features full graphical maps and turn-by-turn directions, eliminating the need for expensive navigation hardware." So according to this, all we need to purchase is the SD card. Unless of course Ford bragged about all of this innovation without actually putting it into production -

is this the article you are referring to? Navigation Standard "At the 2010 CES show today, Ford announced today that it will offer navigation as standard on all Ford vehicles with MyFord and SYNC – well, almost. Ford says that its new Secure Digital (SD) card based navigation requires no extra hardware upgrades. So all you’ll have to do is purchase an upgradeable Secure Digital (SD) card-based navigation, which features full graphical maps and turn-by-turn directions, eliminating the need for expensive navigation hardware." So according to this, all we need to purchase is the SD card. Unless of course Ford bragged about all of this innovation without actually putting it into production -

Yes. It makes it sound like you can upgrade it yourself just by adding the SD card but if you read it carefully it doesn't actually say that.

"Ford says that its new Secure Digital (SD) card based navigation requires no extra hardware upgrades. So all you’ll have to do is purchase an upgradeable Secure Digital (SD) card-based navigation, which features full graphical maps and turn-by-turn directions, eliminating the need for expensive navigation hardware"

"MyFord vehicle interface will have basic graphical turn-by-turn directions standard, with full map-based navigation delivered by Secure Digital (SD) card, eliminating the need for expensive, specialized navigation DVD drives and displays"

"Map-based SD card navigation builds on current SYNC Traffic, Directions & Information application, which delivers personalized traffic reports, precise turn-by-turn directions and up-to-date information including business listings, news, sports and weather ““ without the need for built-in navigation systems"

"Ford says that its new Secure Digital (SD) card based navigation requires no extra hardware upgrades. So all you’ll have to do is purchase an upgradeable Secure Digital (SD) card-based navigation, which features full graphical maps and turn-by-turn directions, eliminating the need for expensive navigation hardware"

"MyFord vehicle interface will have basic graphical turn-by-turn directions standard, with full map-based navigation delivered by Secure Digital (SD) card, eliminating the need for expensive, specialized navigation DVD drives and displays"

"Map-based SD card navigation builds on current SYNC Traffic, Directions & Information application, which delivers personalized traffic reports, precise turn-by-turn directions and up-to-date information including business listings, news, sports and weather ““ without the need for built-in navigation systems"

Now I'm confused. However, the press releases can be very creative at times.

Has anyone actual been successful adding Nav?

Technically.....that's true. You only have to buy the SD card to add navigation. The difference is you have to buy it from the factory, not the dealer.

It's definitely misleading but I don't think it's intentional. They were just emphasizing that once you have MFT you can get Nav for $800 instead of $2000.

This article doesn't explain where/how to buy the SD card, but it's some more information that leads me to believe that the navigation can be enabled at any time. Navigation Capabilities on All MyFord Touch Cars - But It Ships Disabled

"Navigation Capabilities on All MyFord Touch Cars - But It Ships Disabled

Ford explains: When you take delivery of a Ford with MyFord Touch or Lincoln with MyLincoln Touch, you get a vehicle with an 8-inch touchscreen and you also get the navigation application embedded in the car. But it's no good without the navigation SD card, for which you pay $795, and then Ford activates the car and enables navigation. That apparently means you can choose to have factory onboard navigation the day you take delivery. Or, later on, you can choose between factory navigation or a third-party portable GPS system that will be clunky, take up space on the windshield, and cost half what Ford charges. "

Technically.....that's true. You only have to buy the SD card to add navigation. The difference is you have to buy it from the factory, not the dealer.

It's definitely misleading but I don't think it's intentional. They were just emphasizing that once you have MFT you can get Nav for $800 instead of $2000.

Oh my! I got screwed out of $1200 then. I should have opted to upgrade after I took delivery rather than when I ordered the car.

Misleading is right! Why do they do that?

I think they intended for it to cost the same either way - "The Real Cost of SD Card Navigation: It May Be No Bargain

Most integrated car navigation costs $1,500-$2,000, so Ford's $795 seems a bargain. Here's the fine print: To use SD Card navigation, you need MyFord Touch or MyLincoln Touch, and that's $1,000 or more. On the build-to-order part of Ford's site, MyFord Touch and a rear camera are a $1,000 option for some models of the Ford Edge. Alternatively, some cars may call for the Rapid Spec 202A package, which is $2,500. On high trim-line models such as the Ford Limited and Sport, MyFord Touch comes standard. On the lower and midrange SE and SEL trim lines, cars built without MyFord Touch get a smaller 4.2-inch LCD display (it's called MyFord) that won't work with SD Card navigation but it will work with Ford's TDI (Traffic, Directions and Information) service, which is free for the first three years of ownership."

This article doesn't explain where/how to buy the SD card, but it's some more information that leads me to believe that the navigation can be enabled at any time.

I think the writer misinterpreted what Ford said. Two quotes that indicate it must be ordered from the factory:

"We're not creating a market for stolen SD cards," said Ford spokesman Alan Hall, "because they only work in vehicles that originally ordered the capability in the first place."

"The SD cards are not locked to individual VINs, so technically it is possible to switch from MyFord Touch-equipped vehicle to vehicle," said Ford spokesman Alan Hall. "But, the navigation capability will only work if that vehicle was originally ordered with the navigation option, and therefore received a SD card upon purchase." In other words, you could use a the SD card from your MyFord Touch car in your MyLincoln Touch car only if you order both cars with the navigation option.

"But, the navigation capability will only work if that vehicle was originally ordered with the navigation option..." - which, per Fords media release, is standard in Fords or Lincolns with MyFord Touch or MyLincoln Touch, which come standard on Limiteds and Sports, but not SELs I believe, so if you purchased a Limited, Sport, or SEL and added Navigation, you will have the navigation option.

"...and therefore received a SD card upon purchase..." because I did not purchase the $795 SD card, I did not receive one, and no one enabled the navigation in my 2011 Limited with MyFord Touch.

Of course none of this matters unless Ford actually decides to do something about it, because the bottom line is even if the capability does exist, if Ford decides not to allow customer to enable it, it basically doesn't exist. If a tree falls in a forest when no one is around....who cares what sound it makes?

• Like 1

"But, the navigation capability will only work if that vehicle was originally ordered with the navigation option..." - which, per Fords media release, is standard in Fords or Lincolns with MyFord Touch or MyLincoln Touch, which come standard on Limiteds and Sports, but not SELs I believe, so if you purchased a Limited, Sport, or SEL and added Navigation, you will have the navigation option.

"...and therefore received a SD card upon purchase..." because I did not purchase the $795 SD card, I did not receive one, and no one enabled the navigation in my 2011 Limited with MyFord Touch.

Of course none of this matters unless Ford actually decides to do something about it, because the bottom line is even if the capability does exist, if Ford decides not to allow customer to enable it, it basically doesn't exist. If a tree falls in a forest when no one is around....who cares what sound it makes?

Correct. If the dealer can't install the Navigation software and activate the SD card then it doesn't matter. And so far they have not been able to do that.

Correct. If the dealer can't install the Navigation software and activate the SD card then it doesn't matter. And so far they have not been able to do that.

Its more likely the software is already installed and the dealer would simply unlock it and mate it to a maps sd card in the same fashion they do for a defective sd card. I'm basing this on the fact that the last full update seemed to be the same size for everybody regardless of options. Still it matters not as you already pointed out. Without a green light it doesnt happen.

Its more likely the software is already installed and the dealer would simply unlock it and mate it to a maps sd card in the same fashion they do for a defective sd card. I'm basing this on the fact that the last full update seemed to be the same size for everybody regardless of options. Still it matters not as you already pointed out. Without a green light it doesnt happen.

I don't think the nav software is installed based on comments I heard from Ford employees. If it was then the dealer could do just as you described and they aren't doing that.

Just to muddy the waters a little...

It seems the issue with the Edge SD card-based nav system is indeed odd. We ordered our 2011 Edge Limited in October and it arrived during the 1st week of December. We had specifically ordered the sunroof but never for a moment considered a nav system as we already have a Garmin. Here is the exact wording from the window sticker on our Edge

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT:

CANADIAN TOURING PACKAGE $2,550.00

. PANORAMIC ROOF

. VOICE ACTIVATED NAVIGATION SY_

CANADIAN TOURING PKG DISC - $700.00

When we arrived to pick up our Edge the salesman was just inserting the sd card and explained that was the nav system. Apparently that option was included in the CTPkg. We do not use the nav system but it is rather neat to drive along and have street names displayed on the smaller right hand screen and on the main screen.

Edited by phlatlander

Ok. I'm glad that got cleared up.

I'm glad I got the factory nav. It's really neat how it is integrated with voice, Sirius travel link, & Sync

Thanks for rubbing it in for the rest of us! ;)

I guess it's right to say that if Ford doesn't give the dealer the right to install the Nav, a couple of people will feel sorry for not taking the option from the start... starting with me! But I still find it very hard to believe that from a business perspective, Ford is making a good decision. Eventually, some people will regret not taking Nav, and second hand buyers may also want to install it. Why would they prevent themselves from 795$ (for an option cost of maybe 50$!) ??? It doesn't male sense.....

On another topic, any chance another retailer could install a home-application that would use the already installeg GPS module to setup the nav, a bit like they do for after market DVDs for half the price? Seems like there's not much missing to make it work.

I'm kind of loosing faith, but still hoping good news will come ....

I don't think the nav software is installed based on comments I heard from Ford employees. If it was then the dealer could do just as you described and they aren't doing that.

No, they have to toe the line or face flooring issues and other penalties that far offset what little money could be made by selling illicit nav upgrades out the back door. There is a not much else that explains why the complete install of a full upgrade is exactly the same size for a car with or without nav or any other options other than the fact that the software is all the same and some modes and operations are enabled in one case but not another based on installed equipment. To be clear I don't know this to be fact but it is how things are normally done.

Thanks for rubbing it in for the rest of us! ;)

I guess it's right to say that if Ford doesn't give the dealer the right to install the Nav, a couple of people will feel sorry for not taking the option from the start... starting with me! But I still find it very hard to believe that from a business perspective, Ford is making a good decision. Eventually, some people will regret not taking Nav, and second hand buyers may also want to install it. Why would they prevent themselves from 795$ (for an option cost of maybe 50$!) ??? It doesn't male sense.....

Given how much trouble dealers are having just installing a basic upgrade on people's cars (without changing any settings), asking them to do something even more complicated isn't a good idea until everyone's a little more familiar with the system.

What I have learned to date is that the Nav system sw comes embedded in the vehicle and your LFD can activate it. It requires you purchase the Ford SD card for $795, install it and the dealer activates the Nav option. I have researched this as my 2011 Edge Limited came with factory Nav (have the SD card and everything) yet it was not activated so I have no Nav! I wanted to research BEFORE I take it into my LFD as they are really struggling with this new MyTouch system and don't have the answers yet. I'm taking it in soon for the fix and will post my results.

What I have learned to date is that the Nav system sw comes embedded in the vehicle and your LFD can activate it. It requires you purchase the Ford SD card for $795, install it and the dealer activates the Nav option. I have researched this as my 2011 Edge Limited came with factory Nav (have the SD card and everything) yet it was not activated so I have no Nav! I wanted to research BEFORE I take it into my LFD as they are really struggling with this new MyTouch system and don't have the answers yet. I'm taking it in soon for the fix and will post my results.

Where did you get that information? We know it comes with the Nav software installed if you bought it that way from the factory but we haven't confirmed that it's pre-loaded otherwise.

Wow, that would be such a great news if it turns out. If they ever manage to achieve this, I would be very interested in knowing who's your dealer.

We just purchased our 2011 Edge Limited with Nav system and the SD card will not load and the dealer is not sure what to do. We are really disappointed. Please let me know if anyone has had any luck getting this fixed by the dealer and what they had to do.

I'm pretty sure the service department has access to support from ford. Tell them to call ford support. Also consider another dealership for future service.

Got a call from the dealer tonight. They were able to "fix" the other limited that was also not accepting the SD card today. They said it should take 5-6 hours to "fix" the problem (slow download). Made an appointment for Wednesday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will report back with the results. I WANT MY NAV TO WORK!!!!