wireless connection

2011sport

My sync system connects to my wirelss internet at work but can someone tell me what you can do with it? I mean I dont see a browser...

this is covered in several previous posts, but short answer is at this point nothing other provide hotspot within car for others to connect to internet. I guess there is some value to that in that the other users may not have ability to logon to your work WiFi. Not sure how the IT folks would like that though or if that presents any security issues.

• 2 weeks later...

this is covered in several previous posts, but short answer is at this point nothing other provide hotspot within car for others to connect to internet. I guess there is some value to that in that the other users may not have ability to logon to your work WiFi. Not sure how the IT folks would like that though or if that presents any security issues.

So far it seems to be only an interface to facilitate wireless access for those in your car. Confusing though as I can't see how that is any help when most folks have a wireless card that already connects directly to the internet. It's not like it's an actual hot spot (I think)? I'm going to try it with my work laptop (like I do in connecting to airport wireless systems throughout the country when traveling - if it gets me to the internet then it would truly be a hot spot....

An accessible-in-park-only browser is slated for the future. But that sill doesn't make the Edge a hot spot. It can connect to any wireless within range to provide that capability. In addition it will allow five connections. That doesn't buy much, like was mentioned -- those other connectable devices can easily connect to the network the Edge is connected to.

The way I see this configuration as advantageous is via the UBS ports. Given a USB wireless modem (available now through a contract wth most cell carriers) plugged directly into an Edge's USB port, the Edge now becomes its own wireless hot spot. Again with additional device connections available. Once the internal browser's available, the intertubes is just a click away!

Am I right about this?

An accessible-in-park-only browser is slated for the future. But that sill doesn't make the Edge a hot spot. It can connect to any wireless within range to provide that capability. In addition it will allow five connections. That doesn't buy much, like was mentioned -- those other connectable devices can easily connect to the network the Edge is connected to.

The way I see this configuration as advantageous is via the UBS ports. Given a USB wireless modem (available now through a contract wth most cell carriers) plugged directly into an Edge's USB port, the Edge now becomes its own wireless hot spot. Again with additional device connections available. Once the internal browser's available, the intertubes is just a click away!

Am I right about this?

Bingo. One USB 3g modem, 5 wi-fi internet connections. It won't help phones since they'll usually already have their own 3g/4g connections but it will help ipod touches, ipads and laptops that only have wi-fi.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if it's possible to tether my phone's 3G connection to the wifi in the Edge? So that passengers could use their laptops to browse the internet, for example.

If your phone shares out the connection, becoming an Access Point (typically using 3rd party software), you would do this without any relationship to the system in the vehicle. The WiFi sharing in the vehicle is limited to certain compatible (no list that I'm aware of) USB cellular modems. It won't share out your phone's connection to the Internet, to the best of my knowledge.

-steve

• 3 weeks later...

If your phone shares out the connection, becoming an Access Point (typically using 3rd party software), you would do this without any relationship to the system in the vehicle. The WiFi sharing in the vehicle is limited to certain compatible (no list that I'm aware of) USB cellular modems. It won't share out your phone's connection to the Internet, to the best of my knowledge.

-steve

I got this working using my iPhone 4G. Works great. I've only tested it quickly in preparation for some upcoming spring/summer roadtriips... it was pretty simple. I think I just had to connect the phone through USB and turn on the tethering feature on the phone. Then I was able to use another device to connect to the Sync's hotspot and surf.

If anybody wants I can post detailed instructions... but I'm sure there must be some on this forum already.

Brian.

• 2 months later...