Snow performance

tenstepn

Our 07 Edge AWD was the best vehicle I have ever driven in the snow. A complete and total tank. Haven't had our 11 Sport long enough but the small driving we've done seems almost as good with the sole exception of a bit worse stopping due to the 22s.

Are you actually driving in the snow with your 22's???

We haven't really had any snow yet here so I haven't been able to gauge how it performs yet. Proper winter rubber is most important and I just got my winters installed yesterday. :)

I'm driving an 11 AWD MKX with 20" wheels, and traction-wise it's been great so far. MrHappy is right; These things are tanks.! A week or two ago I was at a stoplight next to a cop while it was snowing, and when it went green I just walked away from him. I wasn't speeding, just had much better traction.

A couple of days later i was following a 10 Edge over the crest of a narrow right hand curve at about 45 MPH. We both lost it when we hit some black ice on the downhill side and started to spin out. We both were able to over-correct and then re-correct just fine. I'm sure it looked like an Edge/MKX ballet for someone watching. Needless to say, the traction control and anti-stupid systems all worked great.

On the other hand, big rims kinda suck in deep snow. As some of you might have heard we got a little snow up here in Minnesota yesterday. When we finally got the MKX dug out of the driveway today we went xmas shopping. I noticed some harsh vibration in the tires once I got it up to about 50 MPH. I'm assuming that I have some snow buildup in the rims somewhere and it really threw the wheels off balance. This is after I cleaned the "spokes" with a snowbrush as best I could. Now I know why people buy 17's with winter tires.

Boy, what a difference a day makes! Saturday we were in the high 30's and I washed the MKX in the driveway. Today we got a few inches of snow. Very wet and heavy snow. I had to go to the store. (I have 20" wheels and Pirelli Scorpions on it). I switched on the AWD readout and was having a blast playing silly bugger on the deserted streets. It's a great system. You can go too hot into a corner, straighten the wheel and gun it and it pulls out beautifully.

I'm driving an 11 AWD MKX with 20" wheels, and traction-wise it's been great so far. MrHappy is right; These things are tanks.! A week or two ago I was at a stoplight next to a cop while it was snowing, and when it went green I just walked away from him. I wasn't speeding, just had much better traction.

A couple of days later i was following a 10 Edge over the crest of a narrow right hand curve at about 45 MPH. We both lost it when we hit some black ice on the downhill side and started to spin out. We both were able to over-correct and then re-correct just fine. I'm sure it looked like an Edge/MKX ballet for someone watching. Needless to say, the traction control and anti-stupid systems all worked great.

On the other hand, big rims kinda suck in deep snow. As some of you might have heard we got a little snow up here in Minnesota yesterday. When we finally got the MKX dug out of the driveway today we went xmas shopping. I noticed some harsh vibration in the tires once I got it up to about 50 MPH. I'm assuming that I have some snow buildup in the rims somewhere and it really threw the wheels off balance. This is after I cleaned the "spokes" with a snowbrush as best I could. Now I know why people buy 17's with winter tires.

So that's what happened to the Metro Dome...vibration from the Edge with the 22" wheels. lol

I too love driving my Edge now that winter is here. I have a SEL with AWD and mounted Toyo G-02's back in early November. Not real happy with the tires, but that's another story.

There is however, something I don't like with the AWD/Traction Control systems. In Northern Alberta, we get a lot of built up snow on the roads that lasts until spring (especially on less travelled residential streets). When you hit one of these patches with a bit of speed, it is easy to four-wheel drift, power-slide, or just plow through a corner or bend. When the Edge starts to drift, my driving style is to keep my foot on the gas and drive through the drift. This doesn't always work on the Edge as it cuts power to ALL the wheels because it can't determine which one has traction.

A friend suggested switching Traction Control off, but I haven't noticed a difference yet. Plus, it resets to ON everytime the vehicle is restarted. I would really like the system to recognize that I am not lifting off the gas and, after reading the steering angle, send power to the outside wheels.

Anyone else notice this? Any suggestions? (please don't tell me to just slowdown. Winter driving is FUN!!!)

Shane did you get the tire pressure sensors or are you just ignoring the low tire pressure warning light...trying to get ahead of the game for when we get our Edge.

Nope, I didn't bother getting the TPMS. I am used to driving in the winter months without TPMS and dealing with the warning, so it wasn't a big deal to me.

• 4 weeks later...

I too love driving my Edge now that winter is here. I have a SEL with AWD and mounted Toyo G-02's back in early November. Not real happy with the tires, but that's another story.

There is however, something I don't like with the AWD/Traction Control systems. In Northern Alberta, we get a lot of built up snow on the roads that lasts until spring (especially on less travelled residential streets). When you hit one of these patches with a bit of speed, it is easy to four-wheel drift, power-slide, or just plow through a corner or bend. When the Edge starts to drift, my driving style is to keep my foot on the gas and drive through the drift. This doesn't always work on the Edge as it cuts power to ALL the wheels because it can't determine which one has traction.

A friend suggested switching Traction Control off, but I haven't noticed a difference yet. Plus, it resets to ON everytime the vehicle is restarted. I would really like the system to recognize that I am not lifting off the gas and, after reading the steering angle, send power to the outside wheels.

Anyone else notice this? Any suggestions? (please don't tell me to just slowdown. Winter driving is FUN!!!)

we had our first snow (8") in Topeka today. I was stoked! Now I could test the AWD. It was great all day. Plowing my own path on the straight runs with no issues.

On my way home from work, I drove through an esses curve on a back road and all most lost control while trying to power through it. I had to back off the gas and float through the bends.

It did act like the traction control was driving for me but I didn't notice the light flashing.

I suppose some good blizteks would have helped. I'm running the standard 18"s on mine.

we had our first snow (8") in Topeka today. I was stoked! Now I could test the AWD. It was great all day. Plowing my own path on the straight runs with no issues.

On my way home from work, I drove through an esses curve on a back road and all most lost control while trying to power through it. I had to back off the gas and float through the bends.

It did act like the traction control was driving for me but I didn't notice the light flashing.

I suppose some good blizteks would have helped. I'm running the standard 18"s on mine.

I am running the standard 18's on mine. Granted I am not driving in deep snow often, but doing just fine on compact snow/ice for the last oh two months... and yes two to three months left to go.... I have gotten the light to flash on occasionally but it is really fast so if the wheel is just right you might miss it.

Don't go crazy with the car Wilson - you just got it working to where you are now happy with it.

I have a 2011 Edge Limited AWD and it has been outstanding in the snow and ice so far in the couple weeks I've owned it. The traction control seems top notch and isn't very intrusive at all. Coming from a FWD VW (that would severely cut power and activate the ABS at the drop of a hat), the difference in low traction situations is night and day. I am very happy with my AWD Edge. :happy feet:

I haven't driven through any real deep snow yet but it's handled a copuple inches of the super slippery brown slushy stuff and an ice/rain storm very well. I also considered an Audi Q5 (Quattro is standard) and had a chance to test drive that in similar conditions and I can say the Edge did much better.