Quality of the Edge makes me leery.

breye

Ive been coming here for quite some time now doing research. My wife would like to buy an Edge. Every time I come back and read all the problems on here. We keep putting off shopping for one scared that the quality of the edge is just not up to the Japanese standers. We hope to see fewer problems posted in the 2011 section so we might get some inspiration to go look at a ford.

True Delta

Capture12-14-2010-102422AM.jpg

Edited by breye

I’ve been coming here for quite some time now doing research. My wife would like to buy an Edge. Every time I come back and read all the problems on here. We keep putting off shopping for one scared that the quality of the edge is just not up to the Japanese standers. We hope to see fewer problems posted in the 2011 section so we might get some inspiration to go look at a ford.

Please understand that only the ones with problems usually post on forums. As an example one dealer reported selling 200 2011 Edge and/or MKX vehicles and only one had a problem. There are thousands of people with no problems.

The biggest recurring problem was the PTU seal leak which only affects AWD vehicles in cold climates and that appears to be fixed for the most part.

The problems with MyFordTouch and Sync appear to be mostly fixed now. This was truly uncharted territory for any mfr given the complexity of the hardware and software and I don't see this being a long term concern.

Every mfr has a few problems nowadays - even Honda. The Edge won't be perfect but should be as close as anything you'd get from Honda or Toyota and in some cases better.

Toyota highlander has very few problems in their forums. But it’s not really a crossover (SUV). We don’t like the Venza so no forum time. Hyundai Veracruz forum 08 and up very few complaints of problems. Honda Pilot forum has few problem complaints as well, but it’s not a crossover as well (SUV).

Toyota highlander has very few problems in their forums. But it’s not really a crossover (SUV). We don’t like the Venza so no forum time. Hyundai Veracruz forum 08 and up very few complaints of problems. Honda Pilot forum has few problem complaints as well, but it’s not a crossover as well (SUV).

Sounds like you’ve made up your mind.

I wish you well with your next Japanese car.

But first take a look at these google searches.

toyota recalls = 2.5Mhttp://www.google.com/search?q=%22toyota+recalls%22&hl=en&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&tbs=

honda recalls = 55.1Khttp://www.google.com/search?q=%22honda+recalls%22&hl=en&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&tbs=

ford recalls = 45.6Khttp://www.google.com/search?q=%22ford+recalls%22&hl=en&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&tbs=

ab

But the question was whether owners of those vehicles were as active on their forums as people tend to be on this and other Ford forums.

It's better to look at objective data like JD Power reports.

Here's my 2 cents.

I've NOT been a Ford guy my whole life. I married into Ford with my wife's family. Here's my experiences to date:

Her ZX2 (early 2000ish?) was reliable but cheaply made. It got the job done for the time but wouldn't have sold me otherwise. No major mechanical issues, only fit/trim.

Her Fusion, first year of the Fusion redesign: VERY impressed. Leased it for 2 years, not a single service visit. VERY reliable, well made car. Peaked my interest in Ford.

When that lease ended we opted for the 07 Edge. Again, VERY reliable. 1 service visit in 3 years of our lease to fix a clip that held the exhaust. That was it.

Our 11 Sport (Purchased due to poor leases, like everyone has now): I looked at virtually EVERY vehicle out there in the class. The tech on the Edge was rediculous. The interior updates were fantastic. Yes, the sync has a few glitches, but ours was a later model build with the current software and issues have been VERY. VERY minor and mostly related to our phone and not the sync. It's a little expensive but there is simply nothing else in its class. The 07 and this 11 are honestly the very best vehicles I have EVER driven in the snow. And we get a LOT of snow in the snow belt of NE Ohio. Ford is doing things the right way these days.

Will your car be perfect regardless of manuf? Who knows, they all make cars with issues. My experience (over 7 years of Fords and 2 service calls!!) has been exceptional. Find a good dealer with strong service and you won't be sorry. Just my 2 cents.

But the question was whether owners of those vehicles were as active on their forums as people tend to be on this and other Ford forums.

It's better to look at objective data like JD Power reports.

Also remember this forum is way more active because of the new (well relatively) technology. So you're bound to get a few more complaints. I would be extremely worried if they were talking about transmission problems or handling problems but by & large it's been mostly (please note...mostly) a software issue

First few threads of 2010.Even the word lemon used twice in topic. It doesn’t give me a worm fuzzy felling to go shopping for a new 2011 edge for my wife.

Both topics were for one vehicle owned by blizzard2010 whose original dealer screwed up trying to fix some relatively minor problems. The dealer never submitted the paperwork to Ford for the repairs and lied to blizzard2010 about it.

With a good dealer it would have just been a couple of routine service visits. Not to say blizzard2010 doesn't have a case - he does but it was made 10 times worse by the dealer not Ford.

Nothing changed on the 2010 models so there is no reason for such a drastic change on truedelta.com. The sample size isn't large enough to be statistically significant.

Sounds like you're looking for an excuse not to buy a 2011 Edge. If so fine - there have been problems. If you're looking for an objective answer then you need to look past a few isolated cases.

I’ve been coming here for quite some time now doing research. My wife would like to buy an Edge. Every time I come back and read all the problems on here. We keep putting off shopping for one scared that the quality of the edge is just not up to the Japanese standers. We hope to see fewer problems posted in the 2011 section so we might get some inspiration to go look at a ford.

True Delta

Capture12-14-2010-102422AM.jpg

I have a 2011 edge and am very impressed and pleased with it. Even after the myford touch system crashed today. (i simply shut my car off and then restarted it then everything was fine) For all the complaints on this forum about the 2011 edge I would guess that 99% of them have something to do with the myford touch system and not the quality, ride, or handling of the vehicle itself.

I agree that the myford touch system needs an update. But remember, this is a software system problem.

How many people out there own a PC rather than a MAC? Microsoft windows is notorious for having problems, yet I would bet my new ford edge that the majority of the people on this forum use a PC. Would you not buy say,a dell, simply because windows was crashing and needed an update?

It sounds to me that you would not be happy with any vehicle that might have potential problems. You could find hundreds of people out there who are not happy with their new vehicle purchase, whether it be a Ford, GM, Toyota, Saab, BMW.....especially on internet forums.

Cuique suum

Latin for "to each his own'

Edited by NewEdgeForMe

I absolutely loved our 2008 limited, not a single problem. We totally wanted and intended to buy it out, then we laid eyes on the 2011 Sport and it was all over. Build quality on this truck is second to none. It drives like a dream. The power is incredible, and all of my MFT functionality actually works. I wouldn't trade this truck for any other on the market right now including marquee brands like BMW or Mercedes-Benz. Sounds like you're set on something else and your trying to lobby your wife off the Edge. But regardless, best of luck in your search.