A question to those who had PTU problem

William_Canada

Just try to figure out why some owners have the PTU problem, and others don't.

For those owners who had PTU problem, did your Edge work in 4WD mode for a long time? Or in other words, did you drive in bad road condition for a long time, did you have heavy foot on the gas?

I just heard some explanation for the AWD system from a mechanical engineer who works for a auto maker (not ford). He said most AWD's center lock is not mechanical lock, and the torque transferred through PTU will cause heat. Working in the 4WD mode for a long will eventually cause over-heating, and damage the seal of the PTU. Most PTU has this potential problem. The only solution is not to force the car in the 4WD mode for a long time, so PTU can cool down.

Sounds make sense to me.

Just try to figure out why some owners have the PTU problem, and others don't.

For those owners who had PTU problem, did your Edge work in 4WD mode for a long time? Or in other words, did you drive in bad road condition for a long time, did you have heavy foot on the gas?

I just heard some explanation for the AWD system from a mechanical engineer who works for a auto maker (not ford). He said most AWD's center lock is not mechanical lock, and the torque transferred through PTU will cause heat. Working in the 4WD mode for a long will eventually cause over-heating, and damage the seal of the PTU. Most PTU has this potential problem. The only solution is not to force the car in the 4WD mode for a long time, so PTU can cool down.

Sounds make sense to me.

The first time I had the PTU serviced (seals) on my 2008 Limied was at about 22,000KLM - 6 months, then again at 90,000klm- 17 months and now they are leaking again at 105,000KLM 22months. At no time have I manually engaged the AWD (turned off the traction control) and run it for an extended period. As a matter of fact I don't think the traction control has engaged automatically more than 30 times and when it did for only a couple of seconds. I am typically light on the throttle but like to zip along empty country highways. Rarely used in rougher conditions (only when I'm shore lauching the boat once twice a year). I beleive heat is a factor but not necessarily from use but rather from the exhaust pipe situated near by and by the more wider variance in temperature during the winter months. From very cold to normal operation temp and back to very cold. I beleive this results in more contraction and expansion than normal. All that movements blows the seals. I am no engineer but have fooled around with fixing, restoring maintaining cars for about 36 years. Just my opinion.

The first time I had the PTU serviced (seals) on my 2008 Limied was at about 22,000KLM - 6 months, then again at 90,000klm- 17 months and now they are leaking again at 105,000KLM 22months. At no time have I manually engaged the AWD (turned off the traction control) and run it for an extended period. As a matter of fact I don't think the traction control has engaged automatically more than 30 times and when it did for only a couple of seconds. I am typically light on the throttle but like to zip along empty country highways. Rarely used in rougher conditions (only when I'm shore lauching the boat once twice a year). I beleive heat is a factor but not necessarily from use but rather from the exhaust pipe situated near by and by the more wider variance in temperature during the winter months. From very cold to normal operation temp and back to very cold. I beleive this results in more contraction and expansion than normal. All that movements blows the seals. I am no engineer but have fooled around with fixing, restoring maintaining cars for about 36 years. Just my opinion.

You may be on to something there. The problem mainly seems to happen in cold weather. I also have the problem. It happens every time the car is driven in cold temperatures ie. 0 or below. I won't have the problem all summer long, but once winter hits here in MT, bingo it starts leaking again. I've had it fixed 5 times and it is leaking again - I'm just waiting to get it in...again. Driving conditions and/or how you drive it don't seem to have any effect.

You may be on to something there. The problem mainly seems to happen in cold weather. I also have the problem. It happens every time the car is driven in cold temperatures ie. 0 or below. I won't have the problem all summer long, but once winter hits here in MT, bingo it starts leaking again. I've had it fixed 5 times and it is leaking again - I'm just waiting to get it in...again. Driving conditions and/or how you drive it don't seem to have any effect.

There were numerous seals repairs released in the past. The way I understand it is any repairs after January 1st, 2010 should be OK. That's when Ford finely spent some money and design good seals. Now question is if your dealer had some of the old seals in stock and used them the leak could reappear. I had mine done February 2010 and so far had no problems, even with -20 C not too long ago ...

There were numerous seals repairs released in the past. The way I understand it is any repairs after January 1st, 2010 should be OK. That's when Ford finely spent some money and design good seals. Now question is if your dealer had some of the old seals in stock and used them the leak could reappear. I had mine done February 2010 and so far had no problems, even with -20 C not too long ago ...

Yeah, it was the newest repair in Feb also. In fairness, It doesn't actually drip on my garage floor, but I do get the burning smell, so it isn't as bad of a leak. I'm just frustrated, obviously, by having to have had it repaired so many times. The last seal did look much different than the rest of them and I don't have word yet which seal is leaking this time, could be driver side whereas the rest have always been passenger side. I was hopeful when it made it through the first few cold spells, but it didn't appear to hold.

Yeah, it was the newest repair in Feb also. In fairness, It doesn't actually drip on my garage floor, but I do get the burning smell, so it isn't as bad of a leak. I'm just frustrated, obviously, by having to have had it repaired so many times. The last seal did look much different than the rest of them and I don't have word yet which seal is leaking this time, could be driver side whereas the rest have always been passenger side. I was hopeful when it made it through the first few cold spells, but it didn't appear to hold.

I would just go back and get it fixed again. This repair is part of the extended warranty.

My Edge SEL AWD was built at the end of May 2010. I was kind of expecting the PTU problem after I came to this forum. And I tried to be gentle on the gas pedal to avoid in the AWD mode for a long time. But so far the PTU is fine (knock the wood). Although I live in cold Canada, it has been under 0'c since 2 months ago; and it was under -20 for the past one week. I wish Ford has fixed the PTU problem since 2010.

My Edge SEL AWD was built at the end of May 2010. I was kind of expecting the PTU problem after I came to this forum. And I tried to be gentle on the gas pedal to avoid in the AWD mode for a long time. But so far the PTU is fine (knock the wood). Although I live in cold Canada, it has been under 0'c since 2 months ago; and it was under -20 for the past one week. I wish Ford has fixed the PTU problem since 2010.

I never heard 2010 PTU problems , I think since mid 09 the PTUs are OK....

• 2 weeks later...

I never heard 2010 PTU problems , I think since mid 09 the PTUs are OK....

Sparky, Just curious if you know what they changed between the mid 09's and earlier? I'm wondering if my 08 can be fitted with a PTU from an 09 or 2010 model. Just got the car back from 6th attempt at repair. This time it was the intermediate shaft seal, so the latest version of the "outer" seal did hold. I expect it will be good until next winter. This has been the longest I've gone without a repair - about 9 months, so maybe they are getting better. I'm kind of angling with the dealer that they need to switch out everything on the next repair - PTU, axles, all of it because it seems in my mind at least that something is causing all of these seals to fail. I'm thinking some manufacturing defect or something where maybe the axle is bent, out of round, undersized...I know it is grasping, but they did say they checked out all of the tolerances and everything checked out, but they also could have just been saying that to appease me.

• 3 years later...

I have a '07 and it now has 98K, I'm having PTU leakage now for the first time, The lube is like mud in the PTU and it probably is partially the cause of the seal failure. I'm going to replace the PTU with a newer unit from a wrecking yard and call it done for now. Possibly sell the car off. I like driving it, but the rust hole in the hood and door seam and now this I've had enough.

I have a '07 and it now has 98K, I'm having PTU leakage now for the first time, The lube is like mud in the PTU and it probably is partially the cause of the seal failure. I'm going to replace the PTU with a newer unit from a wrecking yard and call it done for now. Possibly sell the car off. I like driving it, but the rust hole in the hood and door seam and now this I've had enough.

Isnt your edge still covered under a rust thru warranty?