Black Grill on SEL

spongers

Hi All -

First time poster. Just bought my 2011 Edge SEL, Red Candy, and am looking to put the black "Sport" grill on the car (since it looks so much better! :) ). I got a price from my local dealership that breaks down as such and I was wondering what you all thought of the pricing, as I have no frame of reference. Any feedback would be helpful.

$125.00 Grille from Ford

$325.00 Prep & Paint

$80.00 Labor to Install

Thanks!

Painting sounds a bit high. Grill is just about right. At $80, that's fair for the 1.5 hours it'll take. Maybe save that money and do it yourself? I'd check some local shops and see what they quote you for painting the new grill. I bet the dealer would have been more negotiable on the price if you tried to throw that in at the time of signing. Let us know how you do, and of course post up some pics when your done.

Hi All -

First time poster. Just bought my 2011 Edge SEL, Red Candy, and am looking to put the black "Sport" grill on the car (since it looks so much better! :) ). I got a price from my local dealership that breaks down as such and I was wondering what you all thought of the pricing, as I have no frame of reference. Any feedback would be helpful.

$125.00 Grille from Ford

$325.00 Prep & Paint

$80.00 Labor to Install

Thanks!

I had my SEL's grill painted metallic black to match a "Sport" earlier this month. However, I decided to get my original grill painted instead of ordering a new one. It took a day an half and cost me $175 to get it removed, sanded (stripped of chrome), primed and painted. The owner of the body shop was a friend of a friend, so he gave me a discount, but he told me that a job like this would typically cost around $250. I would shop around, you might be able to save yourself a few hundred bucks. Good luck!

Edited by drevv

That's waay too much to pay.

I had my salesguy purchase the primed ready-to-paint 3-piece grille inserts while my car was on order. The dealer's body shop painted 'em body color and installed 'em before I took possession. All total ~$200.I also have the original chrome pieces to return at end-o'-lease or, if the dealer doesn't want 'em then, I'll sell 'em.

post-10232-013734900 1297257893_thumb.jpg

Take your Edge to a place that does the vinyl wraps on cars for advertisement. Have them wrap the grill in what ever color you want. Then reinstall. Get a small sheet of the wrap to keep on hand. If you get any major chips in the vinyl, just cut out that area and stick on a new piece. You'd have to have your face literally inches from the grill to notice a patch job. I think the vinyl is tougher than a paint job too.

Just my 2 cents worth, and thats what i did.

-Cannon

View my gallery for pics

• 1 month later...

Take your Edge to a place that does the vinyl wraps on cars for advertisement. Have them wrap the grill in what ever color you want. Then reinstall. Get a small sheet of the wrap to keep on hand. If you get any major chips in the vinyl, just cut out that area and stick on a new piece. You'd have to have your face literally inches from the grill to notice a patch job. I think the vinyl is tougher than a paint job too.

Just my 2 cents worth, and thats what i did.

-Cannon

View my gallery for pics

Hey Loose, I just got a quote from a shop in my town to do it for $450. That sounds high to me, does it to you? (or anyone else). That is only $80 less than buying the grill and having it painted from Ford, from my earlier post.... Was hoping it would be in the $200 range...

Hey Loose, I just got a quote from a shop in my town to do it for $450. That sounds high to me, does it to you? (or anyone else). That is only $80 less than buying the grill and having it painted from Ford, from my earlier post.... Was hoping it would be in the $200 range...

Ya thats stupid high. My guys in town did it for like $120. Did it in flat black (as you can see my gallery) and i even went back and they gave me a two foot by two foot spare piece. I had one spot where a rock musta hit it, and put a pretty good size chip in the vinyl, and you could see the chrome underneath. I just cut that little area out in the shape of a square and recut a new little square out of the spare material they gave me, and just stuck it on over the bad spot. Unless your face is literally inches from my grill, you can't tell i patched it.

-Cannon

• 2 weeks later...

Shantz,

The truck looks awesome. Did they sand out the pebble finish before painting it? I was interested in having this done to my wife's new Explorer.

I did it in-house. I work for a large chain body shop. We washed all the panels with dish soap then plastic prepped them with a product from PPG. They were sprayed lightly with an aerosol adhesion promotor and primed using high-build primer to fill the texture on the claddings. I didn't want them %100 smooth as they would be more prone to chipping and peeling. By leaving the texture (it's probably %80 hidden from the primer) it gives the paint more of a 'bite' to adhere to and it is more durable to pitting.

I also two-toned the rear spoiler to blend more effectively with the panoramic roof.

My dad's ordered an '11 Edge for himself (He is the Fleet Manager of one of the larger Ford dealerships here) and has insisted that I do the same to his too!

Hi ! I'm also VERY new so sorry if I mess up!

I just bought a white SEL, I was looking online for some prices of the grille and this site seemed to be selling the grille for $105.00 plus $25.00 shipping to Canada.

For me it was cheaper then the dealer pricing as they said it was $300 for just the parts alone :banghead: , but I'm debating whether I should get this or not as I still have to paint and get them installed. Has anyone else ordered from this site?

http://www.partscheap.com/2011-Ford-Edge-Painted-Grille-Inserts-p/bt4z-8200-aa.htm