An ounce of prevention

Edgieguy

On my way home last night i got a low pressure warning light. I thought it might be because of our 7* cold, but pulled over to check. Turns out I was approx. 10 psi low in my driverside rear tire. I had purchased an $8 mini compressor from harbor freight nearly a year earlier and never used it until now. It filled my tire up in under 10 minutes. Not speedy by any means 1 psi per minute, but it was also well past midnight and no gas stations were near by, or open. I thought I'd post a link to the cheapo compressor I had with me, I'll be upgrading to the better one and keeping this one for my Polaris UTV. I'd recommend carrying a compressor like this anywhere you go, especially since many gas stations make you pay for air now anyway.

Safe travels everyone!

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/interior-auto-accessories.html

I'm sure you can find similar ones to these in most of the "mart" stores.

Edited by Edgieguy

Yep, have to pay for air at many gas stations now. I think going rate is .75 for 5 minutes. Also quirky, it's illegal to pump your own gas in NJ.

You can't pump your own gas in Oregon either - almost got tackled once. Don't much care for winters up here, but then I hear things like this and I think I will stay. Free air and can pump my own gas.

Our dealership ( Maplecrest, Union NJ) said they are now putting nitrogen in tires, psi does nor fluctuate

in cold temps like air .

It still fluctuates, just not as much. But unless you're in a NASCAR race where you're adjusting tire pressure to the 1/4 pound, it won't matter.

The biggest benefit is lack of moisture. If you check your tire pressure regularly there is no practical benefit to nitrogen filling. But it won't hurt.

Yep, have to pay for air at many gas stations now. I think going rate is .75 for 5 minutes. Also quirky, it's illegal to pump your own gas in NJ.

Here in St. Louis 99% of the gas stations are self-serv. I saw a report on the news last night that it's hard to get alot of the

stations to help you even if you're handicapped.

• 1 month later...