Car wash and the IA key

At our car wash you have to get out of the vehicle as they vacuum the inside of it. I've only been once so far with the new Edge and I just dropped my keychain with the IA fob in the center cupholder and let the attendant know. It didn't seem like a big problem, they are in and out of cars all day and have probably seen a lot of the push button start cars.

Worst case, if they were able to manage to lock the key inside I programmed a code for the keypad so I could still get in the car. I actually had that problem on my previous vehicle, I ended up having to have the wife bring a second set of keys to get in the truck that time. You will hardly ever use that outside keypad but every once in a great while it's a lifesaver!

At our car wash you have to get out of the vehicle as they vacuum the inside of it. I've only been once so far with the new Edge and I just dropped my keychain with the IA fob in the center cupholder and let the attendant know. It didn't seem like a big problem, they are in and out of cars all day and have probably seen a lot of the push button start cars.

Worst case, if they were able to manage to lock the key inside I programmed a code for the keypad so I could still get in the car. I actually had that problem on my previous vehicle, I ended up having to have the wife bring a second set of keys to get in the truck that time. You will hardly ever use that outside keypad but every once in a great while it's a lifesaver!

You can't lock the fob inside unless you use the keypad to lock it.

Ok - I also don't think we have any with people working at it anymore to vacuum the inside - that would be awesome!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That's what I was thinking too.

I noticed the doors locking/unlocking when I run a hose over the door handles also

That doesn't bother me, but the potential for the car to unlock itself when raining is not cool. I will have to make sure to walk far enough away for the IA to not be detected by the door and then use the fob to lock it remotely on rainy days.

That doesn't bother me, but the potential for the car to unlock itself when raining is not cool. I will have to make sure to walk far enough away for the IA to not be detected by the door and then use the fob to lock it remotely on rainy days.

My guess is that it would have to be a very strong rain to get the same results as a hose running full stream over the door handle.

I thought the IA key has to be within like 3 feet of the car for the door to lock/unlock I'll have to check it out, I frequently park about 20 feet away from my office desk and wouldn't want the rain to be triggering the sensors on the door.. Easy enuff to test I guess.. stand at the window when it's raining and watch the lights..

M.

I thought the IA key has to be within like 3 feet of the car for the door to lock/unlock I'll have to check it out, I frequently park about 20 feet away from my office desk and wouldn't want the rain to be triggering the sensors on the door.. Easy enuff to test I guess.. stand at the window when it's raining and watch the lights..

M.

It does have to be within 3 feet (supposedly). But imagine locking the door, then walking within 3 feet and have it unlock in the rain without your knowledge. Will just have to keep an eye out for this and/or manually tap the fob after gaining more than 3 feet distance.

It does have to be within 3 feet (supposedly). But imagine locking the door, then walking within 3 feet and have it unlock in the rain without your knowledge. Will just have to keep an eye out for this and/or manually tap the fob after gaining more than 3 feet distance.

I wish I had to be within 3ft before the fob opens the rear gate! I have found the gate open MANY times. My body type lends itself to premature fob presses while I'm doing normal activities in the house.

UPDATE:

Heck! Today I was walking my dog. Looked back at my house a few hundred feet away. My tailgate was up and the lights were on. This tells me that the act of walking my dog will trip my tailgate from 200 feet away!

Edited by wilsons66604

I wish I had to be within 3ft before the fob opens the rear gate! I have found the gate open MANY times. My body type lends itself to premature fob presses while I'm doing normal activities in the house.

UPDATE:

Heck! Today I was walking my dog. Looked back at my house a few hundred feet away. My tailgate was up and the lights were on. This tells me that the act of walking my dog will trip my tailgate from 200 feet away!

The button will transmit hundreds of feet away. But for someone to press the button on the hatch and have it open while the car is locked would require 3 ft proximity.

I've often wondered about the buttons' abilities. My wife doesn't drive the Edge, but she has a fob on her giant keychain and throws that thing in her purse all willy nilly. I'm afraid that it will unlock due to random movement and such in the purse. I, personally, need to set her down and talk about the fob and how it should be cared for. I can just imagine my 2 year old popping my hatch open after getting into the wife's purse. (Or my pocket while at work or something or walking the dog in your case)

Maybe a cover that prevents inadvertent button pushes? Anyone want to make one? :lol:

The button will transmit hundreds of feet away. But for someone to press the button on the hatch and have it open while the car is locked would require 3 ft proximity.

I've often wondered about the buttons' abilities. My wife doesn't drive the Edge, but she has a fob on her giant keychain and throws that thing in her purse all willy nilly. I'm afraid that it will unlock due to random movement and such in the purse. I, personally, need to set her down and talk about the fob and how it should be cared for. I can just imagine my 2 year old popping my hatch open after getting into the wife's purse. (Or my pocket while at work or something or walking the dog in your case)

Maybe a cover that prevents inadvertent button pushes? Anyone want to make one? :lol:

I have my fob tossed all willy nilly in my purse and have yet to pop my hatch or set off the alarm or any other button activity... Wilson has been having button problems since the fall. MoveOver has been wanting a fob cover also... Maybe it is time for the Men folk to finally get together and make one and sell online?

I have my fob tossed all willy nilly in my purse and have yet to pop my hatch or set off the alarm or any other button activity... Wilson has been having button problems since the fall. MoveOver has been wanting a fob cover also... Maybe it is time for the Men folk to finally get together and make one and sell online?

:shades: :hysterical:

Which one? The fob cover or a man purse?

The wife and I were walking away from the car the other day and the hatch popped open. I looked at her and she said : "It wasn't me, my key is in my purse"...

I was wondering if it were me or not, but after looking at my keychain, it couldn't have been. That's when I discovered that my keychain was a (near) perfect fob cover and it blocks the most suspect buttons: unlock and hatch open. I'm thinking this could help out some people out. Check it:

Top view showing buttons covered:

Fob%20Cover%20Top.jpg

Side view showing pressure applied:

Fob%20Cover%20Profile.jpg

Its metal and fairly heavy, so it swings into place while in my pocket. Its shape makes it cover the buttons perfectly. I can move the keychain back and forth under my thumb on the keyfob (basically rubbing it) trying to make it hit a button, and I cannot do it when I TRIED TO.

Edited by cal3thousand

The wife and I were walking away from the car the other day and the hatch popped open. I looked at her and she said : "It wasn't me, my key is in my purse"...

I was wondering if it were me or not, but after looking at my keychain, it couldn't have been. That's when I discovered that my keychain was a (near) perfect fob cover and it blocks the most suspect buttons: unlock and hatch open. I'm thinking this could help out some people out. Check it:

Its metal and fairly heavy, so it swings into place while in my pocket. Its shape makes it cover the buttons perfectly. I can move the keychain back and forth under my thumb on the keyfob (basically rubbing it) trying to make it hit a button, and I cannot do it when I TRIED TO.

Wow. I had suspected My lift gate opening on it's own from time to time