clear bra installed on 2011 Edge

I just had mine done. Entire front including headlights but not the grill. Did not do the whole hood. Just went 18.5" from leading edge then ran a line straight left and right. At that point on the fenders, tappered back slightly. Cost was $570. Different grades of material will affect the price. It took the guy about 4 hours. The main reason I did mine is because it will be towed behind a motor home. Watching my installer do this I wouldn't recommend a do it yourself unless you have some talent in this arena.

Never heard of that? How long does it last? How does it stick?

How long it lasts depends on the maker/brand and of course wear/tear. I use 3M on my installs and they are warranted 5 years from the manufacturer and have an average life span of 7 years. Other brands will vary in price and film thickness. It sticks by an adhesive that is safe on paint.

How long it lasts depends on the maker/brand and of course wear/tear. I use 3M on my installs and they are warranted 5 years from the manufacturer and have an average life span of 7 years. Other brands will vary in price and film thickness. It sticks by an adhesive that is safe on paint.

I guess 5 hundo is pretty good insurance for 7 years. Especially if you have one of the "special" colors.

• 2 weeks later...

No need to videos are here.

This is who I am buying from.

http://stores.ebay.com/Clear-Defender-Protection/Installation-Videos.html

Nextime,

I found a guy selling the 3M scotchguard kit for $85 on eBay and he says that the coverage is very good, up to 17" deep on the hood.

Asked him to post a picture of the coverage, will report back.

EDIT: he won't post pictures, but I sent another request for email.

Edited by cal3thousand

Need to know what the thickness is, it needs to be at least 8ml.

This guy has it for $85, same guy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011-2012-FORD-EDGE-GENUINE-3M-CLEAR-BRA-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem587f3ef334QQitemZ380091953972QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Nextime,

I found a guy selling the 3M scotchguard kit for $85 on eBay and he says that the coverage is very good, up to 17" deep on the hood.

Asked him to post a picture of the coverage, will report back.

This will not stop fingerprints, it protects from chips. If you want the smudges to stop have her use a rag to close the hatch or even better yet have her use one of the two handles under the hatch door to close it. Dont know what years had these two handles but my 2011 has them

Just wondering if they sell smaller kits, ie - just want to do around the rear license plate area on my wife's MKS. Everytime she closes the trunk, she gets fingerprint smudges on the car.

:yup: That's him.

As you can see, it's 8mil 3M.

I just got the PDF coverage file and it's excellent! I'm pretty sure I'm dropping the $100 on this. He seems legit too.

3M%20Clear%20Bra%20Pattern.jpg

Here's a link to the full on PDF if you want it:

2011 Edge Coverage PDF

You sure you get all of that for $85?

The auction states for "FOR 3M PRE CUT CLEAR HEADLAMP/FOG LAMP PROTECTION KIT FOR THIS VEHICLE JUST ADD 25$. " and "THIS AUCTION IS FOR 1 NEW 3M PAINT PROTECTION FILM KIT....THIS KIT PROVIDES UP TO 17 INCHES DEEP HOOD PLUS CORRESPONDING FENDERS AREA PROTECTION PIECES AND MIRROR BACKS."

Looks like $85 gets the hood, Mirror backs and tops of fenders only.

You sure you get all of that for $85?

The auction states for "FOR 3M PRE CUT CLEAR HEADLAMP/FOG LAMP PROTECTION KIT FOR THIS VEHICLE JUST ADD 25$. " and "THIS AUCTION IS FOR 1 NEW 3M PAINT PROTECTION FILM KIT....THIS KIT PROVIDES UP TO 17 INCHES DEEP HOOD PLUS CORRESPONDING FENDERS AREA PROTECTION PIECES AND MIRROR BACKS."

Looks like $85 gets the hood, Mirror backs and tops of fenders only.

I'll send him another email to make sure its in writing... I know... it sounds too good to be true huh?

EDIT: after going to chipguard.com and looking at the 2010 prices (they don't have 2011 on that site yet), the prices are more inline with the other guys. The hood sections on the website are $160.00, so I wonder what we get for $85. I sent him a reply asking him to explicitly state which sections are covered for $85. We'll see...

Edited by cal3thousand

Keep me posted please.

He replied saying Hood, Fenders and Mirrors for $85.

I bet for the $160 that others are charging you could get the headlights and the front bumper included... basically the front end without the grille. I'll ask him to set up a Group Buy type of package... if anyone is interested, chime in.

Here's what I'm thinking the kit would be (don't quote me yet obviously):

Edge%20Clear%20Bra%20Proposed%20Kit.jpg