Bumper Protector - Now with pictures

Yeah, I too would be interested to hear some feedback. Our Touareg came with a bumper protector on it, so I was suprised to see the MKX/Edge so unprotected.

Although we're careful, it's inevitable that we're gonna scratch it so we need to get something on there....

What about the 3M clear hood protector? If it works on hoods it should work on bumpers.

My wife actually owns a sign shop, so we have access to this type of material and more... but the vinyl sheeting, IMHO, is not protective enough. Its just too thin. I'm looking for something more of a rubberized type of material with maybe a anti-slip texture.

Bryce

My wife actually owns a sign shop, so we have access to this type of material and more... but the vinyl sheeting, IMHO, is not protective enough. Its just too thin. I'm looking for something more of a rubberized type of material with maybe a anti-slip texture.

Bryce

In that case you should be able to use regular body-side moulding stuck on with 3M tape.

It seems as though Ford is being a bit slow with add ons for a car that they are depending on so much. Could be that with the money problems they are having or sales are way slower then expected. Little to nothing on the aftermarket either.

Actually sales are way BETTER than expected. Accessories are typically an afterthought.

Actually sales are way BETTER than expected. Accessories are typically an afterthought.

Thats kind of a shame. It seems that when you already have your wallet open at the dealership, adding a few more items to the purchase is easy to do. Afterwards, reality usually sets in for me & I never seem to get around to buying the add ons I would have if they were available up front.

We installed our Ford Bumper Protection decal this morning. While it wasn't something that we could have reproduced in our sign shop, we could have come up with something that would have been a way cheaper option. I'm happy with the product, but not the price and feel that it (or a nicer one) should have come included with the vehicle.

It's basically a thick decal with some embossed things for traction and the word EDGE in it.

Here's a few pictures....

bumper1.jpg

bumper2.jpg

bumper3.jpg

I used a "hinge" install method where you place it where you want to go without pulling off the transfer tape or the waxed paper on the adhesive. then you put a strip of masking tape across the center (where edge is embossed) to hold it in place. Peal 1/2 away from the waxed paper and then squeegee down from the center out. then do the other half. No bubbles in ours, but then again we do this stuff for a living.

Roughly a 10 minute install for us including surface prep to clean the bumper and remove the wax.

Bryce

We installed our Ford Bumper Protection decal this morning. While it wasn't something that we could have reproduced in our sign shop, we could have come up with something that would have been a way cheaper option. I'm happy with the product, but not the price and feel that it (or a nicer one) should have come included with the vehicle.

It's basically a thick decal with some embossed things for traction and the word EDGE in it.

Here's a few pictures....

bumper1.jpg

bumper2.jpg

bumper3.jpg

I used a "hinge" install method where you place it where you want to go without pulling off the transfer tape or the waxed paper on the adhesive. then you put a strip of masking tape across the center (where edge is embossed) to hold it in place. Peal 1/2 away from the waxed paper and then squeegee down from the center out. then do the other half. No bubbles in ours, but then again we do this stuff for a living.

Roughly a 10 minute install for us including surface prep to clean the bumper and remove the wax.

Bryce

Nice job with the install, Bryce!

I'm thinking of having one put on at our dealership, as I'm a little concerned that I'd muck it up trying to do it myself. Is that a Ford accessory available from Ford, or is a third-party purchase?

Nice job with the install, Bryce!

I'm thinking of having one put on at our dealership, as I'm a little concerned that I'd muck it up trying to do it myself. Is that a Ford accessory available from Ford, or is a third-party purchase?

From Ford Accessories. generally, I'd push people to do this themselves, but at $60something for the piece, it may be worth it to have them install. If they charge more than 1/2 hour to install, then they are ripping you off.you may want to see if a sign shop would install it for you if you bring it in... maybe save a few $$$ that way. If you were in Atlanta, our price for the install would be $25 if you brought it to our shop.

the piece is on backing paper that's cut out to fit perfect on the bumper... no measuring required... just line it up with the bumper, tape it down like I described and then install.

Bryce

From Ford Accessories. generally, I'd push people to do this themselves, but at $60something for the piece, it may be worth it to have them install. If they charge more than 1/2 hour to install, then they are ripping you off.you may want to see if a sign shop would install it for you if you bring it in... maybe save a few $$$ that way. If you were in Atlanta, our price for the install would be $25 if you brought it to our shop.

the piece is on backing paper that's cut out to fit perfect on the bumper... no measuring required... just line it up with the bumper, tape it down like I described and then install.

Bryce

Thanks for the info, Bryce...I'll keep it in mind when we're ready to get it.

Thanks for the pictures and the install instructions Bryce. Very easy to install, so now I will not hesitate about seeing if they have one at the lincoln accessories site which I am pretty sure they do.

Part #7A1Z-17B807-AA for the MKX and Part #7T4Z-17B807-AA for the Edge.

Now that it's been on all day and I've had a few chances to look at it, I have grown from liking it to really liking it. The one thing that changed it for me is that it's hardly noticeable until you are right on top of the back of our Edge. Being as thin as it is helps hide it from angles greater than a few feet away, but it does seem to be fairly tough material and while it wouldn't help if you dropped something hard enough to crack the bumper, it looks to be able to keep you from scraping your paint off more than a few times if you hit it with something like a suitcase or cooler.

Bryce

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I saw it on the Lincoln accessories page for $55 and was gonna order it so the bumper doesn't get scratched, and then decided to wait. I figure IF my bumper gets scratched, I'll buy the damn thing to cover it up. If it doesn't...I saved $55....LOL.

Wow, that looks great! I hadn't thought to want one of these, but it seems like a no brainer. The bumper is going to get scuffed without it, sooner or later.

I AM disappointed that no sill protectors came on it, though. As soon as I see some that are custom made for the Edge, I think we'll have to pick some up.

What do you recommend for making sure the surface is wax-free? I'd always heard that Dawn dishwasher soap does a thorough but gentle job of removing wax from a car finish, but was never entirely sure how true that was.

Thanks for the pics and instructions.

J

What do you recommend for making sure the surface is wax-free?

Bug and Tar Remover will usually do the trick.. then follow up with some soap and water. We've got commercial grad stuff in our sign shop, but I wouldn't spend the money for "do it yourselfers".

Bryce

Thanks for the pictures and the install instructions Bryce. Very easy to install, so now I will not hesitate about seeing if they have one at the lincoln accessories site which I am pretty sure they do.

No Lincoln doesn't have anything like this, Since mine is White Chocolate, I will be going for a clear plastic covering, like the type that can be installed on your front bumper. Google search for protective Bumper cover and you'll come across a few places where you can order one precut, and instructions on how to install. ( Name of site escapes me at this moment, but when I am ready to order I will re-run my search again.) Then again, I'm debating with myself on the need to have it, I don't plan on hauling lumber out the back of the Lincoln.

Edited by 07 MKX

No Lincoln doesn't have anything like this, Since mine is White Chocolate, I will be going for a clear plastic covering, like the type that can be installed on your front bumper. Google search for protective Bumper cover and you'll come across a few places where you can order one precut, and instructions on how to install. ( Name of site escapes me at this moment, but when I am ready to order I will re-run my search again.) Then again, I'm debating with myself on the need to have it, I don't plan on hauling lumber out the back of the Lincoln.

Its also available for the MKX.

Part #7A1Z-17B807-AA for the MKX

From my earlier post in this thread... Part #7A1Z-17B807-AA for the MKX and Part #7T4Z-17B807-AA for the Edge.

And the first time a can of corn falls out of a grocery sack unloading your vehicle and it takes a nice chip of paint out you'll wish you had it installed.

Bryce

I have been in conversation with FordDirectOnline.com and they say it is available with the MKX logo with the part number that Bryce and MKX2007 have listed. The price I was quoted was $46.75 + shipping.

http://www.lincolnaccessories.com/fas/b2c/...mp;extyear=2007

Click: exterior #2

Click: rear bumper protector #3

Rear Bumper Protector

Part Number: 7A1Z-17B807-AA

MSRP: $55.00

Affix this scuff-resistant vinyl applique to the top of your vehicle’s rear bumper in order to help protect the upper surface from paint damage that can occur during the loading and unloading of cargo.

Fits:

Lincoln MKX 2008 2007

Edited by rickg