Aftermarket Remote Starters??

Hi All,

Just bought an 11 Edge SEL and I am looking to add a remote start to it. I am looking for the best options for the money. I don't need a bunch of options, just a reliable product that doesn't cause any additional problems.

I do not have the expertise to install myself so will have to pay an installer. How much should I pay?

My dealer referred me to an installer that would use the Autopage RS603. He offered me the "dealer pricing" of $360 plus tax for install. Good or Bad??

Thanks for any input

sorta1

Not sure we can link to other sites, but you might want to check something like dealerfit.com for accessories like factory remote starts (they have the bi-directional for under $300). Compare the pricing there and decide if it's worth it. I have a factory Remote start on my Limited and I am very pleased with it's functionality. It's got a good range and it triggers very quickly.

From my understanding the remote start is just a module, and shouldn't be too complicated to install. I could be wrong, though. You'd probably want to ask a vet like akirby.

I would look into anything made by DEI (Directed Electronics) like a Viper. $150.00 should get you a basic remote starter installed including the bypass. A bypass that uses an extra key mounted under the dash instead of a bypass module will save you a nice chunk of change. My dad just had a basic DEI installed in his 2011 SEL at Auto One for $159.00 here in Michigan. The price included an extra key for the bypass.

Edited by fishx65

I'll look it up, Thanks!

What is a normal rate I should pay for install? I am thinking I will buy the product online and just pay to get it installed. Thanks

Look into the brand you plan to get and ask the installer before you purchase. some shops will not install the product unless you buy it from them. Or else they will and charge you more, and no warranty.

Shops going rates vary on many factors. basic install? any added features? bypass?

that 159 is a hell of a price, but its an entry level starter. from my expirence with all the shops i have worked at we would go anywhere from 159-199 (just depends on the brand) and up, plus the bypass on top of that. The higher the price the more features you get. for me mine is all decked out. i have control over each heated seat independently, rear defrost, hatch opener. All shops do the bypasses differently. some will use a key and hide it in the car like stated above, or some will use a data bus module that "talks" to the BCM and mimics the key resistance code. The advantages to this way is there is no key hidden in the car. If your Edge has the push button start this is the only way.

If your in seattle look into car toys.

• 1 month later...

I had the dealer install a Ford genuine accessory remote start in my 2011 Limited. It is a plug and play module, and was $400 installed. Came with 2 additional smart keys, look exactly like the factory keys but have an additional button on them for the remote start. Now I have 4 keys, two with remote start buttons and two without. This system also allows for you to customize the settings through the left side dash menu, just like the factory remote start. You can program it to have the heat or a/c come on at pre-set temp and even turn on the heated seats in the winter. The only down-fall is you don't get the long range like some of the aftermarket remote starts give you, but you benefit from not having another remote to hang on your keychain, and from not having the wiring hacked into by the $8.00 per hour installer at the local stereo shop since this unit is plug and play.

Edited by bojo539

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This might be too late now, sorry!

But when I installed my remote starter with futureshop it totally took off the Ford's alarm system so I ended up upgrading to one with an alarm also!

So just watch for that, better safe then sorry right? :)

CCL123, what do you mean it "totally took off" the Ford's alarm system. Did the aftermarket system require disabling the facory system? Is this with all aftermarket remote starters or only those coupled with alarms?

CCL123, what do you mean it "totally took off" the Ford's alarm system. Did the aftermarket system require disabling the facory system? Is this with all aftermarket remote starters or only those coupled with alarms?

I got my car with the stock alarm on i but then I went to Futureshop to get a remote starter without an alarm installed on it. The staff there were testing the alarm after they installed it and had discovered that the stock alarm was disabled. THEN I look into the manual only to read that installing aftermarket remote starter may result in the alarm to be disabled so I was left with no choice but to upgrade my remote starter to one that included an alarm.

I'm not sure if it's with all becasue the book just said MAY but that's what happened with me.

I got my car with the stock alarm on i but then I went to Futureshop to get a remote starter without an alarm installed on it. The staff there were testing the alarm after they installed it and had discovered that the stock alarm was disabled. THEN I look into the manual only to read that installing aftermarket remote starter may result in the alarm to be disabled so I was left with no choice but to upgrade my remote starter to one that included an alarm.

I'm not sure if it's with all becasue the book just said MAY but that's what happened with me.

Thats because ford hasnt had a factory installed alarm since about 2002 or so (depends on the vehicle). They had to install a bypass module for the pats. alot of times the sales guys will tell you it has an alarm since the remote can honk the horn and with the pats system, but little do they know its just a keyless entry. Now if you truely had an alarm all they would have had to do is hook up a disarm wire. what this does is when you remote start the car is remote starter put out a signal to the disarm wire in the car to shut off the alarm so it doesnt go off when you remote start it. i personally have yet to see one on an edge.

I like to call fords system a "glorified" keyless entry. 98% of ford owners think they have a factory alarm. yeah it will make noises when you hit the lock button a few times in a row, panic it. but no real alarm.

The sole purpose of an alarm is a deterent. they are not meant to stop theft, they can help deter it. a true alarm will come with sensors to disable the starter (similar to what the pats does), a shock sensor, and a door trigger sensor (so when the doors open it goes off). a good thief will get what they want!

I personally have always had aftermarket alarm/remote starters in my vehicles (for about the last 12 years). I like having the flexibility of being able to do many things with it. IE on my 09 sport i could adjust the heated seats independently and adjust the temp on them. i could open the hatch, i could start the car from my android phone via an app.