Installing rear view camera

Hi Guys,

It looks like the Pioneer nav system in my 2007 Edge SEL is already prepared for a rear view camera. At least the nav screen allows a camera to be switched ON or OFF.

So, I just need to install a camera somewhere in the rear, connect it to plus (reverse lights) and ground and pull a wire to the back of the nav system, right? Wrong?

Has someone done that and could shed some light on it?

Thanks,

Ed

Hi Guys,

It looks like the Pioneer nav system in my 2007 Edge SEL is already prepared for a rear view camera. At least the nav screen allows a camera to be switched ON or OFF.

So, I just need to install a camera somewhere in the rear, connect it to plus (reverse lights) and ground and pull a wire to the back of the nav system, right? Wrong?

Thanks,

Ed

[/quote

There is a guy on this site named Weasel ,PM him he can shed some light on the topic

Hi Guys,

Thanks,

Ed

Check this thread:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/7415-edge-mid-range-touchscreen-stereo-upgrade-top-to-bottom/page__p__59387__hl__%2Bpioneer+%2Bnav+%2Binstall__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=59387

Roughly speaking, it's pretty easy to do the job-- it's just a little time consuming disassembling and mounting the camera in the rear. I just installed one in my 2010 Edge w/ Pioneer Non-Navi system.

First, I used this camera: http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLCM24IR-Universal-Infrared-Commercial/dp/B003C23PPK/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1308584004&sr=8-13

On the camera, I purchased it directly from china through an ebay seller for 13 dollars. It's not 'night-vision' capable since it doesn't have infrared illumination leds, but it's a good camera for the cost. The housing looks nice too, which I thought was a plus.

On the installation:

1) Remove the 4 screws on the bottom edge of your interior hatch plastic.

2) Remove the interior hatch plastic which is now only held on with friction clips (you can pop the ones nearest the edge, then the rest come free pretty easily)

3) Remove the 6 or so nuts that hold the trim panel onto the outside of the hatch. You will also see that there is a 12v wire running through this (gasketed) for the plate lights, pop it free and disconnect the clip on connector inside.

4) Remove the exterior hatch trim panel (with the 2 plate lights in it). You'll be mounting your rearview camera on this panel. (On the 2007, I think the hatch button was in this panel... so you may need to remove the hatch button wiring as well).

5) Mount your rearview camera to the bottom of the trim panel as near to center as you can get. (Two screws should suffice for this, it's very light)

6) Run the camera wires up through the back of the exterior trim panel, through the wire clip (on the inside of the exterior trim panel) and finally through the existing gasket.

7) You will need to cut the existing gasket and use it as your path for the camera power/video wires... If you don't want to do this, you can make a new hole in the hatch--- but be sure to properly gasket the new hole.

8) Once you've figured out your wire path to get back inside the rear hatch, you'll need to fasten the 6 nuts back on the exterior trim panel from the INSIDE of the hatch. Reinstall the gasket w/ wires as well.

9) Depending on how you want to power the camera (constantly, or on a switch, you'll need to find a 12v source). Conveniently, the rear windshield wiper motor provides a +12v switched source, as well as ground. On the 2010, the wires were black (for negative/ground) grey (positive 12v switched w/ the ignition). This way, the camera always has power when the cars on (means you can view the source at anytime, vs. only viewing it when the car is in reverse-- nice for trailering).

10) Tap and insulate your 12v source wires, and hook up your video lead. You may want to tape this so the RCA connectors don't pull apart with thermal expansion/contraction.

11) Remove the upper trim plastic by simply pulling away from the hatch, it's all friction mounted.

12) Run the video lead (single rca cable) following the wires up around the window, all the way to the flexible conduit where the wire loom passes from the hatch to the main cabin of the truck.

13) Push the video lead through the flexible conduit, you'll probably need to work it through slowly-- but it will fit. You will need to remove both ends of the rubber flex conduit from the respective locations on the hatch and the cabin.

14) Feed the bulk of the wire through the conduit into the upper headliner, and reinstall the gasketted connections at both the cabin and the hatch.

15) Pull the video lead from the headliner up along the drivers side edge where the headliner meets the plastic trim at the top of the doors, pillars, etc. The wire should be able to be pressed right into the crevice there, and it will sit on top of the headliner. If you want, you can remove the trim panels at the top of the door by simply pulling.

16) Remove the front pillar trim from the drivers side (it's friction fit, run the video wire down along the same path as the existing wire loom, into the upper part of the driver side dash. Reinstall the pillar trim afterward.

17) Now, you've got your wire inside the dash board, this is a simple feat of reaching up under the steering column and routing the wire appropriately so it is not pinched by the adjustable column all the way to the center console.

18) Plug it into your AUX in on the pioneer, and you're in business! Turn the ignition key to 'ON' and test your new cam.

Hope that helps!

That is a very detailed description of the process, thanks a lot!

As to the camera location, you are right, the 2007 Edge has the hatch button inside the trim panel, so that location is probably not good.

I'm leaning towards a flush-mounted camera on the rear bumper.

Again, thanks a bunch!

Ed

• 1 month later...

Did I get ripped off?

I just assumed I didn't have the rear backup camera. I do have the backup proximity beeper though.

My SEL AWD has the SYNC/MyFord Touch & Voice Nav. Am I supposed to have the camera??

From the Ford Options webpage:

"201A

SEL $1,000

MyFord Touch w/8-inch touch screen and 2 LCD monitors, wireless cell phone link, iPod adapter, voice recognition, rearview camera.

Standard on LImited, Sport."

I did notice once on a system reboot that the 8" screen said something like "Back up camera not installed" or something like that.

Did I get ripped off?

I just assumed I didn't have the rear backup camera. I do have the backup proximity beeper though.

My SEL AWD has the SYNC/MyFord Touch & Voice Nav. Am I supposed to have the camera??

From the Ford Options webpage:

"201A

SEL $1,000

MyFord Touch w/8-inch touch screen and 2 LCD monitors, wireless cell phone link, iPod adapter, voice recognition, rearview camera.

Standard on LImited, Sport."

I did notice once on a system reboot that the 8" screen said something like "Back up camera not installed" or something like that.

since it says the camera is standard in limited, sport and you have a SEL I don't think it's included in that package.

M.

since it says the camera is standard in limited, sport and you have a SEL I don't think it's included in that package.

M.

...but what it says is a $1000 option on SEL, but standard on LTD and Sport.

Let's ask this way: Does anyone here have an SEL that has MFT w/ Nav and backup cam?

I just looked at my car sticker and it doesn't have the Rapid Spec 201A. I thought it was with the full MFT system, but apparently not. I went to Ford and asked about the price of the rearview cam. $499!!! Yikes.

OK, you gurus. If I bought an aftermarket cam, is it as simple as plugging the RCA jack into the back of the MFT screen/unit? After connecting power and ground, of course. I'm thinking wireless system, because I couldn't bear the thought of taking apart my interior, running wire and later on it developing squeaks and rattles.

I know the MFT system is looking for a cam because after a reboot the very last screen before starting up says "Rear view camera not activated." or something like that.

• 1 month later...