Air Conditioner Odor

THW

I have a 2010 Edge Limited and I get a horrible smell like stinky socks when I turn my air conditioner off. I have changed the cabin filter and it made no difference. Does anyone know what is causing it and how to fix it?

I have a 2010 Edge Limited and I get a horrible smell like stinky socks when I turn my air conditioner off. I have changed the cabin filter and it made no difference. Does anyone know what is causing it and how to fix it?

This is a known problem with a lot of auto AC’s.

Our 08 started stinking a few weeks ago.

I bought a product called “Frigi-Fresh.”

With the AC on you spray it in the air intake by the passenger windshield wiper.

Working great, but it’s a temp fix.

Will have to do it again and again.

Bought it at NAPA.

ab

• Like 1

This is a known problem with a lot of auto ACs.

Our 08 started stinking a few weeks ago.

I bought a product called Frigi-Fresh.

With the AC on you spray it in the air intake by the passenger windshield wiper.

Working great, but its a temp fix.

Will have to do it again and again.

Bought it at NAPA.

ab

Make sure that the drain for the evaporator water is open and make sure also that you are running it in the "Automatic" position with the outside air allowed-- If you have the button pressed for "Re-Circulate" you will have no air coming into the system from the outside and mildew will form makingt the smell. Change it over to outside air and spray some Lysol into the air intake on the cowl in front of the windshield.

Edited by flyerjmr33

Make sure that the drain for the evaporator water is open and make sure also that you are running it in the "Automatic" position with the outside air allowed-- If you have the button pressed for "Re-Circulate" you will have no air coming into the system from the outside and mildew will form makingt the smell. Change it over to outside air and spray some Lysol into the air intake on the cowl in front of the windshield.

We never use ours on circulate - always outside air. Where is the evaporator water drain?

We never use ours on circulate - always outside air. Where is the evaporator water drain?

When the vehicle is not moving, there should be a water drip coming from underneath when the A/C is running. If you never see any water dripping under the car, it's possible that the drain for the evaporator is stopped up. The drain is located under the vehicle close to the gas pedal. Inside the car, pull the carpet back and locate the rubber hose--- Here's a link that will be helpful---

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t4066591-2007_ford_edge_blocked_condensation

What I do is run the system at full heat a few minutes before turning the vehicle off. I turn the recirc off and bring in air from outside. By doing this the heat will dry out any water in the system hopefully preventing mildew build up. I have done this with my last 3 vehicles with A/C with no smell issues. More of an preventive measure. My wife has a more intense sense of smell than me and has never complained about A/C odo(u)r,

What I do is run the system at full heat a few minutes before turning the vehicle off. I turn the recirc off and bring in air from outside. By doing this the heat will dry out any water in the system hopefully preventing mildew build up. I have done this with my last 3 vehicles with A/C with no smell issues. More of an preventive measure. My wife has a more intense sense of smell than me and has never complained about A/C odo(u)r,

Just turning off the A/C a minute or two early will usually accomplish the same.

Yup... I do this once a day on days I'm using the A/C.. usually on the commute home before I roll off the freeway, I cut the A/C and crack the windows.

That's strange---- I have lived all over the US and have never had an A/C with an odor problem-- I also have lived in Houston for the past 23 years without any a/c odor problems-- I simply use outside air and make sure that the water drain for the evaporator is working properly.

Now, I've fixed several problems for other folks who were unaware that using the re-circulate position all the time could cause mildew to build, and if you wanna see what mildew is, just com on down here and watch that black crap grow all around---

anyway, fresh air and some Lysol is a sure cure!

That's strange---- I have lived all over the US and have never had an A/C with an odor problem-- I also have lived in Houston for the past 23 years without any a/c odor problems-- I simply use outside air and make sure that the water drain for the evaporator is working properly.

Now, I've fixed several problems for other folks who were unaware that using the re-circulate position all the time could cause mildew to build, and if you wanna see what mildew is, just com on down here and watch that black crap grow all around---

anyway, fresh air and some Lysol is a sure cure!

Thanks for all the help folks. Got a can of spray, will check the drain, spray the stuff in and try running the air for a bit without the compressor on to help keep things dry. I am sure the odour will disappear.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

After playing around with the controls this is what I found. I too had the "low on freon" smell. So I tryed this and it seems to work so far......

Turn on MAX on A/C and the temp setting should be set to "LO" >>> DONT TOUCH THAT DIAL >>> Leave setting at "LO"... and KEEP IT THERE !!!

Don't set any other tempteture other than "LO"....

If cabin gets too cold, adjust the "FAN" speed ONLY..... not the tempature setting....

If still too cold switch to "recirclation" setting..... Again >>> leaving the tempature setting at "LO" [always]

I live in Las Vegas and this is working so far for me..... Hope this helps some of you.....