Winter Tires

Janis

I am already thinking about winter tires, being in snow country. I have searched for P245/60R18 snow tires and cant find any. Any suggestions? I live near Buffalo, ny and we have lots of hills that need good traction.

Buy a set of cheap 17" wheels and the same size 17" tires that come standard on the Edge. The outside diameter should be the same and that's what matters. There should be more options in that size. You could probably even drop to a 16" wheel with larger tires as long as the diameter and bolt pattern are the same. 16" Fusion wheels might work.

The advantage is you don't have to mount/re-mount them twice a year - just swap them out when you need them and your 18" wheels will be protected longer.

• 2 months later...

What about some tire chains? The new synthetic ones are much easier on tires. Be cheap. Just a though...

The stock Conti's score 7 of 10 in snow on tire rack. Wait and see how they do this winter? May be more choices in that size by then.

Out of all the tires I've used, Goodyear has been the best.

• 1 month later...

I too am looking for winter tires for my 2008 Edge Michelin P245/60R18 tires. I have always purchased Michelin winter tires and have been very happy with their performance.

Unfortunately, I learned today that they do not make a winter tire in this size.

Other than looking at another tire manufacturer, what size options do I have if I want to keep using the original 18" rims (I'm not too sure about the width to sidewall to radius relationships).

Thanks for any help!

I too am looking for winter tires for my 2008 Edge Michelin P245/60R18 tires. I have always purchased Michelin winter tires and have been very happy with their performance.

Unfortunately, I learned today that they do not make a winter tire in this size.

Other than looking at another tire manufacturer, what size options do I have if I want to keep using the original 18" rims (I'm not too sure about the width to sidewall to radius relationships).

Thanks for any help!

I have the same set up on me Edge and just purchased a set of P 235/65 17 tires and rims. Snow tires I bought used and are Nokian WR SUV. Rims are an aftermarket 17 inch alloy. Not a pure snow tire, but everyone who has them says they are great in the snow. The AWD along with these tires should be more than enough for me. I live in snow belt so I will see how good they really are.

Also, I did not purchase the tire pressure sensors for these tires so the dash warning light will be on while I have these tires on the vehicle. My dealer said that it would be ok provided I didn't mind the light on constantly. At at cost of about $300.00 (tire rack) I can learn to ignore the light.

Good luck with your selection of snow tires.

I am already thinking about winter tires, being in snow country. I have searched for P245/60R18 snow tires and cant find any. Any suggestions? I live near Buffalo, ny and we have lots of hills that need good traction.

I'm getting P245/65R17's and putting them on 17 inch rims. They will be the same circumference as the 18 inch originals.

I'm getting P245/65R17's and putting them on 17 inch rims. They will be the same circumference as the 18 inch originals.

I

I had same problem finding P 245/60 R 18 snow tires.The tire shop found Conti Contact ice [studded or not studded] size P255/55R18.He said they would be same height.

Just put them on yesterday but they seem ok.Speedometer is reading about 5 % slow.{60 mph is really57]I don't know how accurate speedo was before changing tires.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Buy a set of cheap 17" wheels and the same size 17" tires that come standard on the Edge. The outside diameter should be the same and that's what matters. There should be more options in that size. You could probably even drop to a 16" wheel with larger tires as long as the diameter and bolt pattern are the same. 16" Fusion wheels might work.

The advantage is you don't have to mount/re-mount them twice a year - just swap them out when you need them and your 18" wheels will be protected longer.

My Edge has tire pressure sensors. Can the display on the message center be turned off after I change wheels?

Sanche

My Edge has tire pressure sensors. Can the display on the message center be turned off after I change wheels?

Sanche

Hi sanche. :D No, the TPMS system (and warning) can not be turned off. At least to my knowledge, no one has come up with a simple way to disable it yet (one that would not involve altering/disabling the electrical system).

You have several immediate options:

1 - Purchase new sensors and bands to put on the new wheels.

2 - Transfer the old sensors to the new wheels (not really viable if you are using dedicated summer and winter wheels).

3 - Put up with the warning light being always on/cover it up.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 2 weeks later...

After a long and extensiv search on the net I finally decided on my winter tires and wheels. I ordered a set of Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow - 255/55R18 XL on TSW Nogaro - Hyper Silver - 18" x 8". I will post a picture once they are mounted... does any one know whether 275/55/18 would fit under a 2008 Edge Limited AWD?

post-4075-1220465951_thumb.jpg

So I don't know alot about winter driving, I currently live in Houston, Tx. I am being transferred in January to Buffalo NY, and I am trying to find out what I need to do to prepare my Edge. I only am going to be living up there for a year, so it seems like a waste to buy Winter Tires, but at the same time I want to be safe. Does anyone have a recommendation?

So I don't know alot about winter driving, I currently live in Houston, Tx. I am being transferred in January to Buffalo NY, and I am trying to find out what I need to do to prepare my Edge. I only am going to be living up there for a year, so it seems like a waste to buy Winter Tires, but at the same time I want to be safe. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Up there I think winter tires are required, possibly with chains. Since it's a one time deal, just buy a set of oem sized winter tires and keep the same wheels. The Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3s run $110 at tirerack.com plus installation. Or you can buy a 17" wheel and tire combination to save your oem wheels from the salt and ice and when you're done just sell them.

Up there I think winter tires are required, possibly with chains. Since it's a one time deal, just buy a set of oem sized winter tires and keep the same wheels. The Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3s run $110 at tirerack.com plus installation. Or you can buy a 17" wheel and tire combination to save your oem wheels from the salt and ice and when you're done just sell them.

...or since you are only going to be there 1 year......look for a used set of winter tires on the rims as it is cheaper....then when you are done with the winter, sell them for whatever you can get.

• 1 year later...
Will 18" rims fit on the Edge Sport AWD. The factory is 20" with optional 22". If so, what should the offset be for an 18 x 8.5" rim to fit properly.

Hi tlim. :D Yes, 18" wheels will fit on the Edge Sport. Are you thinking of using them as winter wheels?

Concerning offset: I am not sure what the offset is of the Edge Sport's standard 20x7.5" wheel is, in order to calculate the usable offset range for an 18x8.5" wheel. If I can find it, I will post back, if someone else hasn't.

However, even if I or someone else does give you any further information, I would strongly recommend that you check with a Professional Wheel Distributor like The Tire Rack or Discount Tire for information like this, instead of Internet strangers.

No matter what I or anyone else told you here, it would be wise to check with a professional before purchasing anyway.

Just my opinion (and what I would do myself).

Good luck. :beerchug:

:happy feet: I have a set of new cable chains for sale in the "classified" in this form.

They fit the following tire sizes:

10 - 15LT, 205 - 16,

LT235/75-16,

245/75-216,

255/65-16,

9.5 - 16LT,

255/60-17,

265/55- 17,

255/55-18,

255/70-15,

265/70-15,

235/75-16,